V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

'99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:38 PM
noobtopony

Are you looking at other cars also? Do you have a budget to spend.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:45 PM
tyler520

Originally Posted by noobtopony
Are you looking at other cars also? Do you have a budget to spend.
I don't have a big spending budget right now but I've been looking at other cars, yea. I've been wanting a '99 Mustang though and they're right around my budget, so that's what I've been on the lookout for. I wouldn't mind a '97 or '98 but I specifically like the body on the '99s.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:21 PM
noobtopony

gotcha! yeah im still looking myself not sure what is the max for rwhp for the v6. I tried to PM you, but says I cant?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

noobtopony, are you looking at the max rwhp you could do with engine mods? Or the max rwhp stock?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Jim74656
1st Gear Member

what I usually do (and did this when we gout our first stang Buddy, is literally tear the car apart (in a orderly way)and look for body damage, and frame rust, and any thing else that is in need of repair and while im right there I am on my phone searching for the repair and the cost of parts and then I factor that in and will show the seller (or dealer) what I found and why I feel the car is not worth there asking price and why I am arriving at my price of what I will pay to take it out the door same day. if they say no then I will either attempt to get them to counter with there price PLUS repair the items at there expense or if they say counter with out repairs I usually will walk off the lot.

we got Buddy for over $2k less then what was being asked for with tax, title, and license all factored in we paid $6450.00 even (not bad when they had the car listed at 8,850 (with out tax, license, and title) so that would have most likely put it in the 10K range (not my budget) so I sat there for three hours with the owner of the dealer and counted the umber of items requireing fixing (not a lot) but the exhaust is the biggest of the repair bill and would have cost a good $500 or more to get it redone well after we haggled we took the car and they will be fixing the issues I found (part of our agreement for the price we paid is they make the repairs at there cost as we factored that in as part of the buying cost)

so thats really how er got a car that would have been $10K for a tiny bit more then half off (final price we settled on the car was 5,850.00 even) and well the rest is history as they say, Buddy is home in the driveway and will be taken in on Tuesday to be fixed up
Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 AM
tyler520

Sorry for the late update. My flight was delayed coming back into AZ on Saturday and didn't get back in until Tuesday night, then had work the rest of the week. But to update you all, I thought more about it and heard a few peoples' advice and decided not to look at it. I decided to hold off and keep looking for something with better mileage. As much as this one caught my eye, I think that it'd only get about 30,000 miles on it (if even) before I started facing actual problems and having to invest more money into it. I didn't want to waste mine or the sellers time with low balling or offering $1,800 and being declined the offer considering the drive to see it was 2 hours away. On a good note, I ran across a 1998 Mustang Base which has 139,697 miles and they're asking $1,995 which will give me more room to bargain with. The only problem with this one is that it's from a car lot. I'm willing to pay cash and not finance, but I've never dealt with a car dealer before and don't want to get caught up in anything where I'll be paying money down the road.

Last edited by tyler520; 03-07-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 AM
noobtopony

Hopefully you find something soon to enjoy.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Jim74656
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tyler520
Sorry for the late update. My flight was delayed coming back into AZ on Saturday and didn't get back in until Tuesday night, then had work the rest of the week. But to update you all, I thought more about it and heard a few peoples' advice and decided not to look at it. I decided to hold off and keep looking for something with better mileage. As much as this one caught my eye, I think that it'd only get about 30,000 miles on it (if even) before I started facing actual problems and having to invest more money into it. I didn't want to waste mine or the sellers time with low balling or offering $1,800 and being declined the offer considering the drive to see it was 2 hours away. On a good note, I ran across a 1998 Mustang Base which has 139,697 miles and they're asking $1,995 which will give me more room to bargain with. The only problem with this one is that it's from a car lot. I'm willing to pay cash and not finance, but I've never dealt with a car dealer before and don't want to get caught up in anything where I'll be paying money down the road.

if you read my post just above this, my tatics generally work well with car lots thats where I picked up my current ride from was a car lot.

Just remember your the one with the power, if you don't like it you can walk!

oh and I got the car that was listed on the lot for $8,850 (excluding tax, title, fees, ect) down to $5,580 (excluding tax, title, license, fees) so that should give you a good idea of the power of negotiation...

Last edited by Jim74656; 03-11-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 PM
tyler520

Originally Posted by Jim74656
if you read my post just above this, my tatics generally work well with car lots thats where I picked up my current ride from was a car lot.

Just remember your the one with the power, if you don't like it you can walk!

oh and I got the car that was listed on the lot for $8,850 (excluding tax, title, fees, ect) down to $5,580 (excluding tax, title, license, fees) so that should give you a good idea of the power of negotiation...
I drove 30 minutes to the lot to see the car and the salesman said "I can't show you the car today because it has more problems which means we probably can't sell it. We have another Mustang that's $15,000 which is probably out of your price range or we have newer cars that you can look at. Let me ask you, would you be willing to finance?" So right there it was a trap which they wanted me to come down there and try selling me other cars. I've just stuck to looking around on Craig's List and whatnot and I've had some luck. I just spoke to my parents insurance company and they said with basic liability and the 3 discounts (Multi-Car, Good Grades, Steer Clear) that it'd be around $105-$110/m when originally it was $150 with just the Multi-Car discount. The problem though is my age (21) and I just got my license last year.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:46 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Craiglist can be a gold mine for good deals sometimes. Just make sure they have title in hand and it actually matches the car.

Quick Reply: '99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?