V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

'99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:23 PM
tyler520

Default '99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?

Hello,

I am new here and have been doing some research before purchasing this car. I found this Mustang on Craig's List which has caught my eye and I'm going to look at it on March 1st when I'm back in state. But before I waste any time, I want to know if it's worth buying for the mileage it has. My dad and his friend are good with car repairs and whatnot, so I won't be paying out the butt for shops etc.. so what am I in on this if I buy it? Also, I don't plan on doing any mods on it right now.

Here's some things to know:
- 170K miles.
- Automatic transmission (preference).
- Brand new alternator.
- Brand new battery.
- Brand new tires (wider in the back + chrome rims).
- Flowmaster exhaust.
- X Pipe with chrome tips.
- Brand new headlights with HID's.
- Blows cold A/C and heat.
- Full tune up a month ago (New spark plugs, oil change, air filter, etc).
- Aftermarket intake installed.
- Has a check engine light (EGR valve needs replaced - no big deal).
- Extremely clean interior.
- Body is 8/10 (has small crack on bumper).
- The lady (owner) says it has been well kept and maintained and is her daily driver with no problems.

Is there any questions I should ask the seller beforehand? She wants $3,000 cash but I can easily talk her down on it.

To top that off, I'm 21 and this will be my first car. I am considered a "new driver" so I'm kind of curious about insurance on it as well (State Farm & Liability only).

Let me know and thanks!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

The 3.8L v6 are strait reliable if kept maintained properly. The car sounds good besides the miles. However, 3000 is way to much in my opinion. I sold my 2000 with close to the same mods for $2000, and my car only had 98K miles, not 170K. I honestly wouldnt pay more than that, just for the miles alone. It should do you well. Good luck! (Again This is all my opinion though)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

I'm sure you can find a better deal. I wouldn't even pay half of what she's asking. Insurance won't be too expensive on a 6 banger. I have full coverage on my 14' and its like $140 a month. I'd shop around a bit if I were you and find a better deal. I bought a 2000 v6 w 85k miles for 3800 a few years back. It's up to you though. The value of mustangs have seemed to increase over the last couple years thanks to the 50th anniversary.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
tyler520

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
The 3.8L v6 are strait reliable if kept maintained properly. The car sounds good besides the miles. However, 3000 is way to much in my opinion. I sold my 2000 with close to the same mods for $2000, and my car only had 98K miles, not 170K. I honestly wouldnt pay more than that, just for the miles alone. It should do you well. Good luck! (Again This is all my opinion though)
Originally Posted by yourmom6990
I'm sure you can find a better deal. I wouldn't even pay half of what she's asking. Insurance won't be too expensive on a 6 banger. I have full coverage on my 14' and its like $140 a month. I'd shop around a bit if I were you and find a better deal. I bought a 2000 v6 w 85k miles for 3800 a few years back. It's up to you though. The value of mustangs have seemed to increase over the last couple years thanks to the 50th anniversary.
I was going to offer $2,000 for the car. I already knew from the beginning I'm not paying $3,000 for 170K miles. If the car had around or under 100K miles, it'd be different. But she's willing to drive an hour to meet me halfway for me to look at the car, so I'm hoping that means she wants to sell it quick.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:33 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

a 99 mustang v6 with 170k is valued at $1400 in good condition on kelly blue book. If you pay 2gs you are paying wayyy more than the car is worth. You're ripping yourself off. Don't buy with impulse. Buy smart.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 PM
tyler520

a 99 mustang v6 with 170k is valued at $1400 in good condition on kelly blue book. If you pay 2gs you are paying wayyy more than the car is worth. You're ripping yourself off. Don't buy with impulse. Buy smart.
One of the major things I forgot to do while car hunting.. Look at the real value on KBB. What do you honestly think I should offer? I don't want to scare the buyer off, but I also don't want to overpay on something that's not worth what it's listed for.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tyler520
One of the major things I forgot to do while car hunting.. Look at the real value on KBB. What do you honestly think I should offer? I don't want to scare the buyer off, but I also don't want to overpay on something that's not worth what it's listed for.
I honestly think you should find something else with lower miles. Keep in mind that the check engine light is on. You're going to be throwing parts/money at the car before it's even titled in your name.

Edit:

A good rule of thumb when negotiating is mentioning ALL of the vehicles flaws. Let them know that they don't have a needle in a hay stack. You should be paying right around blue book value for a vehicle give or take a couple hundred depending on condition. I buy and sell cars on craigslist and for some reason, mustang owners always think their car is worth more than kbb value. Like I mentioned earlier, I think it has to do with the 50th anniversary and being a popular car. Don't purchase a car just because you think it's a good deal and you're impulsive. Do your research and be certain. Think it through.

Last edited by yourmom6990; 02-23-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 PM
tyler520

I honestly think you should find something else with lower miles. Keep in mind that the check engine light is on. You're going to be throwing parts/money at the car before it's even titled in your name.

Edit:

A good rule of thumb when negotiating is mentioning ALL of the vehicles flaws. Let them know that they don't have a needle in a hay stack. You should be paying right around blue book value for a vehicle give or take a couple hundred depending on condition. I buy and sell cars on craigslist and for some reason, mustang owners always think their car is worth more than kbb value. Like I mentioned earlier, I think it has to do with the 50th anniversary and being a popular car. Don't purchase a car just because you think it's a good deal and you're impulsive. Do your research and be certain. Think it through.
Thanks for this, honestly. I'm pretty sure I am being impulsive and thinking it through. I don't mind replacing an EGR valve as they're only like $30-$50 but with the 170K miles, I may only be driving it to like 200K and start noticing problems. I'm in love with the '99 makes and I'm trying to look for a nice one in the Tucson, AZ area but they all want $3,000 for high miles like this.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:31 PM
tyler520

Thanks for this, honestly. I'm pretty sure I am being impulsive and thinking it through. I don't mind replacing an EGR valve as they're only like $30-$50 but with the 170K miles, I may only be driving it to like 200K and start noticing problems. I'm in love with the '99 makes and I'm trying to look for a nice one in the Tucson, AZ area but they all want $3,000 for high miles like this.
not thinking it through*

- sorry for double post. edit button isn't working. -
Old 02-24-2015, 12:20 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Try expanding your search radius. I'm sure they have some decent cars for sale in California as well. Take advantage of the distance and cruise that baby home!

Quick Reply: '99 V6 Mustang 170K miles. Worth buying?