V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1999 Ford mustang v.6 3.8 auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
0pmchambers

Default 1999 Ford mustang v.6 3.8 auto

So I been having back pressure these past few weeks only 2 codes ,Exhaust gas recirculation insufficient & Bank 2 too lean . When I press down on gas it seems like the engine wants to give out and the rpm Will go to 0 an I will stop if I rev. It up so New o2 sensors , I'm guessing coil packs but I have no clue ??? Please help this mustang back pressure giddy up
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 PM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Start with the simple stuff. I would recommend taking off your egr valve and cleaning it well. I'd recommend buying a new gasket for it, probably 2 bucks at a local parts store for one. Put it back on and see what happens. Buddy of mine had a 98 GT that would run like absolute crap. And it turned out to just be a dirty/clogged egr valve.

My next guess would be an possibly a clogged cat (though unlikely), or bad O2 sensor. Also throttle position sensor and lots of other stuff but my initial guess is the egr valve
Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if u have "back pressure" you have an exhaust restriction, however i doubt that u actually measured it. egr insufficient flow will not cause lack of power, so forget that as a cause, o2 sensors will not cause that concern as well, coil packs would cause a miss. the description of the symptoms that you are giving is far too vague to give any other advise other that to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed. good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

My guess would be an O2 sensor. if its reading lean, it will dump more and more fuel to correct it. But, if the o2 sensor is bad it will continue to read lean and the computer will essentially flood that bank causing a loss of power and a lot of soot clogging the egr also.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:21 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
My guess would be an O2 sensor. if its reading lean, it will dump more and more fuel to correct it. But, if the o2 sensor is bad it will continue to read lean and the computer will essentially flood that bank causing a loss of power and a lot of soot clogging the egr also.

doubt its an o2 sensor, if an o2 fails lean, the pcm will add fuel, but it cant add enough fuel to flood the engine and cause it to run as poorly as op described, it will usually smoke black out of exhaust and be a bit sluggish, however, the egr system on the 3.8 uses a seperate egr port for each cylinder, a total of 6 1 in each intake runner in lower intake, the do plug up and as they do the funnel more and more egr flow into less and less cylinders, so if 4 are plugged up, all the egr flow goes into 2 cylinders, it will read as low flow, cause missfires on those cylinders and due to the added air into the exhaust from the missfires will read as lean. try un plugging the egr valve vacuum line and drive the car, if your symptoms go away, pulling the upper intake and cleaning the egr ports in the lower intake is advised
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM
0pmchambers

I replaced the senor 2 o2 sensors an New cats but I have not checked my egr what so ever I'm so lost for words right now every time I drive it , it seems like it wants to go then say I get to 2500 rpm it wants to back down and slow down on me then I let of the gas then give it some gas it wants to go then back down again but if I rev it , its just going to shut down on me . I think hill an incline's have an effect on it as well ,, I gotta an appointment on the 5th but for now I need ideas ?? Please
Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM
302Travis
2nd Gear Member

Definitely check into what Jwog said and try unplugging that vacuum line. If it works, then you might wanna cancel the appointment and save you the money and do it yourself if you feel comfortable with it.

I am not familiar with the 3.8 at all. But if it has the 6 egr ports I would put a bet on that bc I've seen clogged egr valves make cars run like absolute crap in certain rpm ranges and throttle inputs enough to where it just doesn't make any sense because it is so inconsistent
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

in this pic u can see the egr ports, they are inside the runners, they will get clogged with sticky carbon and can be cleaned with some carb clean and a pick
Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM
0pmchambers

Cool

WOW TAKING THE EGR VALVE LINE OFF HAD THE PONY BACK BUT NOT FULLY IT DRIVES WAY BETTER WITH IT DISSCONECTED NOW WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP ??? Now I know it's the egr giving my horse no power ,, thanks for the advice everybody jwogg66 you the man
Old 03-31-2015, 12:06 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

next step is to pull the upper intake and clean those ports in the pic above, i would also check the intake for an accumulation of oil while u are there, if so replace the pcv, and on some years there is an updated valve cover that will reduce oil ingestion into the intake, that will cut down on the carbon build up, good luck

Quick Reply: 1999 Ford mustang v.6 3.8 auto