V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

The One And Only Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Epon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: The One And Only Exhaust Thread

My dad's friend has a garage and he tossed on my MAC true dual setup. I love how it sounds, absolutely love it. For the price and what I'm doing, it's the perfect sound and setup. MAC just makes solid stuff.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:41 PM
HRnB
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 00silverStang

Ok I'll be getting exhaust for my 2000 6'er soon. Now putting aside the performance gains would a y pipe with flow 40's give me better sound then say true duals with an h or x pipe? My brothers 98 firebird had y pipe duals and it sounded excelent, nice low growl not very ricey at high rpm's. Any suggestions guys?
True duals will always sound better. Even though two cylinders fire at the same time on a V6, true duals kind of give you stereo exhaust for lack of a better word. I have true duals without an H or X pipe. To be honest, my friend has my set up with an H pipe and mine sounds way cooler. I've never heard an X pipe in person on a V6 yet.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i've only heard an off road X on a v6 clip on here. i didn't really like it, but i know better than anyone not to base their opinions on sound clips.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:46 PM
HRnB
Administrator

ORIGINAL: tightdogal

is it possible to just swap mufflers with a flowmaster 40 series and use the same pipes i have with the single exhuast and thats it?
Yes, no problem. Alot of people do it that way because you can go to Pep Boys and get a Flowmaster 40 and an installation kit for around 150 bux total and cut your old muff out with a hack saw and clamp up your new Flowmaster muff. When I was growing up, we did it all the time. It's not the best way, but it's better then stock.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HotRods_n_Booze

Ok I'll be getting exhaust for my 2000 6'er soon. Now putting aside the performance gains would a y pipe with flow 40's give me better sound then say true duals with an h or x pipe? My brothers 98 firebird had y pipe duals and it sounded excelent, nice low growl not very ricey at high rpm's. Any suggestions guys?
True duals will always sound better. Even though two cylinders fire at the same time on a V6, true duals kind of give you stereo exhaust for lack of a better word. I have true duals without an H or X pipe. To be honest, my friend has my set up with an H pipe and mine sounds way cooler. I've never heard an X pipe in person on a V6 yet.
Ok Booze. I'm half way to L.A. I can be there tomorrow if you want to hear it in person!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:10 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

wasnt it to ask questions about exhaust? "Ask your exhaust questions or add your opinions and knowledge about exhaust systems here"
I dont hear about Y pipes that often im just wondering if they sound is any better or any worse then "true duals" thats all[sm=imsorry.gif]
ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

I give up. We put this sticky up for a reason......
Thats because the y pipe comes stock on the V6's single exhaust. Our goal is to get rid of the y pipe, as it doesnt sound good at all
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 AM
bigwille
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to ask you guys a question... since im getting the offroad x-pipe with the pypes exhaust package, do you think the loudness will get old and annoying after a while, or it justs adds that touch on the car that never goes away.. sorry if that was confusing.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:21 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HotRods_n_Booze

ORIGINAL: tightdogal

is it possible to just swap mufflers with a flowmaster 40 series and use the same pipes i have with the single exhuast and thats it?
Yes, no problem. Alot of people do it that way because you can go to Pep Boys and get a Flowmaster 40 and an installation kit for around 150 bux total and cut your old muff out with a hack saw and clamp up your new Flowmaster muff. When I was growing up, we did it all the time. It's not the best way, but it's better then stock.

oh ok booze, thats cool. as a mustang owner, of course i want whats best for my car. if i had the dough i would def get a TRUE setup...throw soime GT take offs, get a flow 40 series muffler and have a true setup. but being a college kid (esp with christmas and me transferring schools soon), im poor, and anything is better than stock. so while it may not be the best setup, unfortunately, it may be all i can do for now
Old 11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Just throw on a cofee can muffler they come single
Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

no i will not have a fart can on my car..

well with my mods tho, that WOULD be a great option for me, but nah

Quick Reply: The One And Only Exhaust Thread