V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2002 V6 Mustang EGR Valve and DPFE Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 PM
dahellwitu

Default 2002 V6 Mustang EGR Valve and DPFE Sensor Problem

Hey Guys,

New to this forum and hoping to get some feedback or info regarding the above titled.

I have searched online all throughout google and on the forums and haven't been able to get a clear cut answer. I am hoping that someone on here has had this experience and has fixed it or know what to fix.

I live in Korea and bought a 2002 mustang v6 with only 35k miles on it. The previous owner stated he had no issues with it and even let me drive it for a bit before making the purchase. That being said, there were no issues other than the minor oil change needed.

After 6 months, I noticed a change in the way the vehicle reacted. When I push the acceleration pedal, the car struggles to change gears? I lose power or it just revs and jerks the car along before it finally kicks into gear or until I let off the acceleration. I took the car to the DIY shop here on the Army Base I work at on got the codes to check for the EGR valve and the DPFE sensors. I have cleaned them and have even bought new ones.

Every once in awhile, the CEL will go off anywhere from 1 day to 1 week and then come back on for however long it decides. I have changed the o2 sensors, the spark plugs, the fuel filter, even changed the oil again and oil filters just in case.

I did have to change the timing belt and the alternator as well. The problems really started when I changed the alternator, but I have a hard time believing that the alternator would be the cause.

I do apologize, if the sequence of events seem out of place, I am in a rush as I am at work. If you need any clarification on anything, feel free to ask and I will do my best to convey better. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

When the CEL comes back on, does it have the same codes as before?
Old 03-05-2016, 07:50 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

DPFE sensor lines could be leaking or plugged.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 PM
S2Roush

Timing belt??? They don't have timing belts. They have a timing chain. Anyway. What codes are you getting? It would help narrow down where to start.