V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Best Bang for $

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 AM
fsjrzdvl

Default Best Bang for $

Ok guys I posted an Intro of sorts talking about my and my sons 94 3.8. The car has a suppposed to be rebuilt motor. The throttle response is almost non-responsive and it has very little get up and go.

Plans are all basic maintenance to be expected on a vehicle I know zero history of, plugs, wire distributer cap/rotor, fuel filter, oil and transmission fluids change and filters, and air filter, along with coolant flush, rear axle fluid, and new serp belt. Is there anything on basic maint I am missing?

So real question, there are a million different options for spark plugs, I'm thinking motor craft Platinums? is it worth $6 each? For wires I was going to get a stock set of whatever Auto zone carries but can order performance wires. Again is it worth the extra $ for performance wires? and distro cap and rotor same question applies, I can get stock on the cheap but can order performance and pay quite a bit more.

Moving on to Air, I have priced a drop in K&N filter and for a little more I can get a new SS intake tube with a K&N filter, basically a CAI, will I see any benifit at all from goin this route? and I already know what most will say about this but I have used Throttle body spacers in the past on other vehicles and felt throttle response difference, plus I like the way they sound, I know there isn't any HP or MPG difference but is it worth $35 to run one?

I am trying to provide a reliable, dependable, and fun to drive car for my Son and give us a little father/son project. Mostly looking for conformation to the direction I am going or am I off, is there better mods or some mods I am missing. Also should add not trying to spend a fortune, I have $500 in the car so I feel like putting about $1k more into it isn't too much.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Stick with stock plugs,/wires and that v6 is gonna be slow as a dog so there's always that. TB spacer is worthless, i way just give it a decent paint job and enjoy it for what it ism
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 PM
fsjrzdvl

Ok sounds like a good piece of advice soft stick with stock components for now the car definitely will not see paint anytime soon.

How about exhaust I understand these cars have for catalytic converters, I have not gotten anything yet and looked, can they be removed without throwing a code? How about removing even just to without throwing a code?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:59 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You want the best bang for your buck? Here is what I would do

Id take that $1k and buy a donor GT Like this one
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5481518559.html I bet you could haggle him down to 1k or below.
Pull every thing you want/need off of the GT like engine, trans, computer wiring harness, rear differential, exhaust, then scrap the rest for some extra cash.
swap that base 3.8l engine to a 5.0. Not only does it give you a fun car to drive, but it also gives you a good father/son project to work on. Or just finish putting together the GT and scrap the 3.8 base
Old 03-10-2016, 11:34 PM
fsjrzdvl

Ok so I have everything needed for a typical tune up, got a new harmonic balancer, and went ahead and ordered a CAI, all new front end parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links) and a buddy gave me a Throttle body spacer. Also got a Trans filter and full synthetic Tranny Fluid. after all this is installed I'm going to start driving the car daily to work out additional bugs and find faults.
I'll post up any changes I feel. It'll be hard to say what causes what changes or if it's a combo of all parts but it cant get worse...LOL