V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Engine Shaking While Idling And Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 PM
ThatJuanStang

Alright, thanks for the help. I hate to keep throwing money at parts as well but I need it running well asap and i feel like everything is pointing at it being the coil pack.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:09 AM
ThatJuanStang

I replaced the coil pack and it didn't change anything. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go from here.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

No idea then. If someone else could chime in now it would be helpful. Maybe a ground or the computer?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:29 PM
ThatJuanStang

Well, I found what is causing the misfire. I have low compression on every cylinder on the passengers side. I'm not sure what's causing it yet. I'm going to do a leak down test tomorrow and see where the problem is coming from. I guess while i'm at it i'll also do a compression check on all the cylinders on the drivers side just to be sure. I feel like I have a world full of problems that are just waiting to be discovered.

Thanks a lot for the help by the way. I've posted this same issue on three different forums and you're the only person to attempt to give some real help. I definitely appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Anytime. Ill try. Never hurts to at least try to help someone.

Hope you dont need a full set of rings. Maybe its just a bad head gasket. Seems one problem is leading to another. At least you have a full new spark setup and wont have to fool with that for a few years.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 PM
ThatJuanStang

Yeah I'm hoping it's as simple as a head gasket though I just replaced that about 200 miles ago when I replaced the lifters. But then again maybe that's why it could be the head gasket. Who knows? I'm actually looking into what it would take to do a complete engine swap at the moment. Just weighing my options at this point.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:48 PM
ThatJuanStang

Just an update, it just hit me yesterday what my problem most likely is. For about a week or more before I started misfiring I was having a problem with my radiator spewing coolant out of the radiator cap. It was only a small amount (or so I thought) so I didn't rush to find a solution to the problem. For some reason, I never put two and two together to realize that that back pressure and my misfiring problem is a dead giveaway that I have a blown head gasket or a cracked head. My guess is that my head gasket slowly started failing which was allowing the compression from the cylinders to leak into the cooling jacket which caused the coolant to spew out of the radiator cap and eventually it failed almost completely which is why i'm now misfiring. I feel so disappointed in myself for throwing so much money at parts when the answer was right in front of me..
Old 11-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

DOH .....got some slurry / oil in the coolant?