V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Braunstein82

Default Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power

I have a 94 3.8 mustang. It has dual exhaust no mufflers on cats and h pipe, 3.73, diablo chip, cool air, plat 4 plugs. It wont stop overheating, if it starts to overheat i turn off the overdrive and it stops, I have put in a new radiator, and water pump, and flushed it out. and i still overheats and has no first gear power. And if I rev it up as i let off I hear a pop from under the passanger side, It has been doing this even before all the upgrades. Please help I have alot of money tied up in the pos to have to give it away.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Braunstein82

Default RE: Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power

Please somebody help me with the problem
Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 PM
alexr
★★★★★

try replacing your thermostat, if thats not working it wont kick the fan on
Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Jefferson

Thermostat is probably a good bet.

I had this problem in the summer where if I was idling for a long time (like in a traffic jam) on a hot day, the electronics woruld start to go haywire. One time my blinkers would blink randomly when used and my braking system went crazy, it would still stop but the calipers wouldnt break in sync and/or grip on and off.

It was a big mess but once I started moving and got some air under the car it was fine again. It has only ever happened twice, both on very hot days.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
alexr
★★★★★

i had the thermostat problem in the summer, and i also had a problem where the key was cut wrong and got in the ignition at a point where the car would start, but none of the electronics would kick on, so the fan wouldnt start, or anything. if that sounds like it could be your problem, try using a different key.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:47 PM
DeMiSe99Stang

I had a problem w/ my engine overheating (99 3.8).

The radiator fan wasn't kicking in, so we pulled it out and hooked it up directly to the battery and it worked, so we figured it was the relay. So we replaced the relay. Started up the car and the fan still wasn't running. Gave up and took it to the dealership. Apparently my fan shorted out the relay the second we turned on the car...

Got it fixed and haven't had a problem since.

Don't know if my case was just a freak thing ... But see if your fan turns on
Old 01-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Braunstein82

Brand new thermosat even tried running no thermosat, fan works fine. Wierd part is when it starts to overheat I can turn my overdrive off and when it drops gear the tempature shoots down.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Autobadges.com
Banned

That may be an electrical problem then. There are only so many components to the cooling system.

Change:
radiator, thermostat, hoses, water pump, check fan (turns on)
Old 01-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Braunstein82

New water pump, thermostat, just flushed, newcoolant sensor, new radiator. Tried overriding the fan to stay on all the time still nothing. Even brought it to a FORD dealership, they couldnt figure it out. Its driving me nuts. Please help me, someone!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 AM
98ponycar
2nd Gear Member

I've heard of a couple cases that are like yours, but the only complaint was that the engine would overheat. There were never any of the other symptoms like you have. I know it's a shot in the dark, and it's probably not what's wrong with your car, but check to see if you have compression getting into the cooling system. I'm leaning towards the possibility of a blown head gasket, but I would have to see the car for myself. If the engine has been very hot at all, it's a possibility that the heads will have to come off.

Quick Reply: Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power