V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

auto take off

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
WhItEvEnOm
2nd Gear Member

Default auto take off

I have a auto 97 stang and i was wondering how you would go about racing it.......what ive been doin g is droping it in a lower gear then as i build rpms i shift into second then that goes to about 65 70 mphs then i throw it in drive......is that the proper way???? or is there a better way........Any help please
Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Default RE: auto take off

Well, I have an auto trans too. They are dogs stock, so it helps to get taller gears (4:10's or 4:30's) and get a chip or programmer to change your shift points and firmness. You can also go one step further and get a higher RPM torque converter to get a better launch from a dig.

But to answer your question, your right to sport shift your auto trans. Turn off your overdrive, start in first and shift at around 6K or the highest point that your limiter lets you shift.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
alexr
★★★★★

thats a lot of strain on your tranny though aint it? i wouldnt do it just in the event that you may drop the tranny. but i could be wrong.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
ckthecerealkiller
2nd Gear Member

The only way you are going to injure your tranny in a launch is if you drop it from neutral to drive. Shifting through the gears won't hurt the tranny at all......
Old 02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Dropping your clutch is also hard on a manual trans too. but sport shifting on an auto trans isn't going to blow up your trans. Now if you put it in nutrel and rev to around 6K and drop it in gear, sure, but sport shifting, no way. Infact, if your change your trans fluid and filter as recommended, our 4 speed auto trans will out last the engine.

edit: you beat me to it CK.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 PM
alexr
★★★★★

i just cant see it doing any good at all considering you dont have a clutch to to manually push against the flywheel before the actual shifting occurs, or however it works. i know autos work different but im assuming through different concepts it would work along the same line.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HotRods_n_Booze

Well, I have an auto trans too. They are dogs stock, so it helps to get taller gears (4:10's or 4:30's) and get a chip or programmer to change your shift points and firmness. You can also go one step further and get a higher RPM torque converter to get a better launch from a dig.

But to answer your question, your right to sport shift your auto trans. Turn off your overdrive, start in first and shift at around 6K or the highest point that your limiter lets you shift.
they dont make 4.30s for the 7.5, you either need to swap in a 8.8 or go 4.56s but id just do 4.10s

i go from first to second at 5k and it ends up shifting around 5600 rpms and it normally will chirp second stock, im most likely going to get a tuner over february vacation because im under 18, so cant buy one online, and the nearest diablo dealer is about 30 miles away
Old 02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
HRnB
Administrator

That's right. That's so odd that you can go as tall as a 5:13, but nobody ever seems to have a 4:30 for the 7.5 rear.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

ORIGINAL: HotRods_n_Booze

they dont make 4.30s for the 7.5, you either need to swap in a 8.8 or go 4.56s but id just do 4.10s

i go from first to second at 5k and it ends up shifting around 5600 rpms and it normally will chirp second stock, im most likely going to get a tuner over february vacation because im under 18, so cant buy one online, and the nearest diablo dealer is about 30 miles away
You can probably get a better tune from there than online anyways...they will work with you more.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 PM
WhItEvEnOm
2nd Gear Member

so ive come to the conclusion that manualy shifting a ato dosent hurt the trans but if you rev up to about 6k rpms in nutral and throw it in drive its big damage.......got that part down.....now how do you take off from the line in a auto????????????do you still trow it in first then mash the gas???????????

Quick Reply: auto take off