V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Rant on slow sixxer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Ole Yeller
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rant on slow sixxer

ok i gotta drop in my .02..

i drove Zcar's for years, this mustang is the first American car i've ever owned.

i've owned every type of Zcar from a '72 240 Z all the way to a 92 300zxTT..... so i've got some equal opportunity here....

point blank and period, the Z is a pig.... look at the curb weight of the 90+ 300zx.... i'ts close to if not over 3200! (wow that sound similar to our cars...hmmm) yes it does have more horse power, the TQ on the other hand is a little off, and you really gotta keep it up to get the power. And have you ever even looked at an engine bay? do you have any idea how hard it is just to put a cone filter on those cars? you can barely mod anything on the motor without taking it out of the damn engine bay! plus what performance parts do you have??? on the N/A all you can do is go Turbo, on the TT's all you can do is go Single Turbo, or NOS..... and don't even get me started on the costs!!!!!!!! go ahead and pay $8 for a spark plug, $100 for wires, i'll stick to the less expensive stuff....

i'm extremely happy about my mustang. i can mod it, i can work on it, i don't have to tear my hand to pieces or unbolt and jack up the motor just to do some simple work! no it doesn't handle the best, but that can be worked on. about your 10KI can completely re-do the motor for less than in 3 grand, 3 more grand i can turbo the car, 2 grand in the suspension, and 2 grand to fly to where you are, stay in a nice hotel and slap some sence into you.

read a Haynes manual, look at a mod list, start looking at parts, change your own damn oil for onceand learn that a car is a mode of transportation you get to have fun with, if you get to impress some people along the way, cool. but he point is to get you from A - B. mod it, love it, and eventually you'll get your Z car. and can be happy.

*get's off his soapbox *
Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

So let me catch up a little on this thread:
For some reason, you want a 300 and want all of us to tell you how cool they are?

Seriously, for being an Eagle Scout, you don't know much. Maybe your parents are right for not letting you get a 'better car' and forcing you to drive a car that was given to you until you havea little respect and apprciation.

If you want to rant about a V6 Mustang and how it matches up to an import. Compare apples to apples. the 3.8L in 98 was Ford's entry level Mustang. Now, go take a list of cars made in 98 and compare it to the entry level version of each. It doesn't get much easier than that. Come back an feel free to whine when you can locate a single car that matches the Mustang for price/performance/quality in 98.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
darthstanger
1st Gear Member

+1
Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yet again, you're comparing silver to gold, peaches to apples, etc.

The 94-98 V6 etry level stang was ten fold better than the older 2.3L entry level stangs made from 87-93 which only pumped out an astounding 88-105 bhp depending on year. You're also compairing an old, and by all means, outdated car, to newer, more higher performance cars. As lilroush stated, compare a 98 stang to everything else made in 98, and you'll find that aside from the V6 Camaro and V6 Firebird (both of which no longer exist due to lack of marketing and a serrious price gap between the Mustang) not much matches it's performance for the cost.

Another thing to remember, is Ford didn't intend the V6 to be a performance car. If they did, the Mustang would no longer exist because if the V6 was making 250 bhp stock in 1994-2004 using the 3.8L engine, which it's capable of doing, what do you think the cost would of been? It probably would of been around 22K in 94, and around 28K in 04. Now what do you think the GTs would of been, they would of been probably rated at over 300 bhp, and the cost would of been astounding, and the Mustang, like the Firebird and Camaro, would be dead...........that's D....E....A.....D

Like I said, the V6 stang is not ment for performance, Ford made the GT and the Cobras, along with special licensed models by Saleen, and Roush, for performance. The V6 stang is an entry level stang that set's price levels, and keeps other outiside, as well as top prices down. They made the V6 so that somebody that wants a stang, but could care less about 0-60 times etc. can get one and travel around the style, and comfort that they want. Ford also made them so that youths, yes, the youth of America can afford to drive a stang. If they didn't how many kids do you know that would be able to afford the cost of a new, or even slightly used GT, not many, and that's not even mentioning the Corba. The only way youths would be able to afford a V8 in a stag would to be to buy an old 5.0, and then they'd still be whinning because of it's lack of performance when compaired to newer cars ignoring the fact that back in the day the 5.0 was one of the fastest cars for the dollar on the market.

So get your facts straight, quit whinning, and just be happy that you own a stang, especially one capable of easily getting 26+ mpg in an erra of $3+ gasaoline. And if you want a newer faster car, then save up and get one, hell the car was given to you, you should at least be thankful, because neither of my stangs were given to me.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

Dude... I had a 1998 V6 and even though it wasnt the fastest car in the world it was VERY reliable.. I only had to bring it into the shop once for a radiator and brake pads... Isnt that all that matters... Its a Car for A to B driving... because from the way your being a little bitch it sounds like youve never stepped foot on a race track... Now lets get something straight "Retard" means to hinder or hold back... its an invalid insult.. But if you would like to use that word to insult someone, why not take a look at yourself. something must have "Retarded" your logic when A. posting this thread in the Mustang Forums V6 section.. where everyone likes their V6 Mustang... and B. When you bought the car thinking it would make some magical numbers... Did you just blindly buy a car without researching it? Its not an unknown fact that they dont come with the best hp numbers.. You should stop your bitching, grow a pair and either do something about the cars lack of power or buy another car... I think ahonda would fit you perfectly... You bitch alot and you enjoy doing/saying stupid ****... SO how bout you sell your mustang, because you dont deserve it... and go down get a honda civic join a honda forum and see if you guyscan all circle jerk together.Kuz honestly, no one cares about your little "rant"sostop being a little bitch and take some action...You have no friends...Chicken ****er... (I should title this Rant against a dumbass)
Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02MustangV6DD

Ford really made the Yugo? That was the first car i ever drove, and it was a small peice but it still runs to today and we treat it like ****. Thats not unpatriotic at all, i belive if you dont buy American youare not helping your own country. But what in 98 Would you rather have? Whats the price differences? The V6 isnt made to go fast, its made to sell
yay buy american, my camaro is made in canada, yet my buddies honda was made in kentucky

ORIGINAL: cobra232

OK here is a good comparasion. take an 88 305 IROC and race it with the 98 3.8. they will run pretty much the same. i outran an 87 350 TA by about 1 car when my 98 was stock.

yeah the singleports were slow but for a reason. the V8's were not that fast and if they made the V6's faster then who would buy the V8???

all the cars you mention cannot even come close to the power potential of the 98 3.8L ford engine.

get over the fact that you bought a base model that doesn't run 13.5
my car was in the high 15s and i have a 305 RS (TBI) so it will be about equal to a 305 TPI in the quarter, a L98 should be in the 14s unless it was beat to ****

the v6 could have 200 HP more then the V8, it doesnt matter "a mustang is supposed to have 8 cylenders" people would still buy them

ORIGINAL: simpsonfan13

ORIGINAL: eaglecatcher

Ford just thinks they can sit on their haunches and use the "support your country and buy domestic" crap to keep them afloat.
trye unfourtunately, and not to hijack but the interior build quality = crap
buy a lexus

also dont know about the GT, but i ran a 300zx a few weeks ago in my buddies mach 1 and shifted at 3500 and still walked him about as bad as he walked me in my 6 hitter
Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

the v6 could have 200 HP more then the V8, it doesnt matter "a mustang is supposed to have 8 cylenders" people would still buy them

This is the most true, saddest and funniest thing I've ever heard.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I love threads like these

- 98 and older 3.8L Mustang motors are not identical to the 99+ ones (that's been pointed out)
- 98 and older 4.6L Mustang motors in an auto GT are only a couple of tenths faster in the 1/4 than a 99+ 3.8L (and don't go paper racing on me. I've raced them. They are S-L-O-W for a V8)
- In 98 sure you could've bought a faster V6 import but it would have cost you 25K+ back when the Mustang V6 was 15K and the GT was 20K In today's dollars that would've been 30K, 20K, 25K respectively. (in otherwords you still pay more for the import)
- Don't get all pissy because you didn't do the research first. A good deal is only good if it fits what you want to start with. Otherwise, it's a waste of money. You were impatient and bought a car simply because it was in this case a mustang. You didn't do your research. If a turd was made by Ferrari would you buy it if it was only $10?? Just to say you have a turd made by ferrari then bitch about it being a turd built by ferrari? Of course not. Don't buy a cheaper version of a mustang just because it's a mustang and cost less than what you are willing to wait for, then bitch about it. Shoulda saved your money and gotten the version you wanted.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

You say I didn't do my research, I did do research. I figured with 150hp and 215ft/lbs or torque, it would be faster than it really is. I wasn't expecting GT fast, but I was at least expecting it to beat a 2 ton truck with a V8 in a race, and it doesn't.

Besides the other crazy things I've heard, you guys seem to totally forget that not the only thing that matters is who gets past the 1/4 mile first. Thats useless in everyday driving, as roads are not perfectly straight, flat, and wide open. So many people think that drag racing is the only type of racing out there, and thats just stupid. Out of all the different racing groups/type/etc, only 1 kind out of all the possible types of racing is in a straight line.

You say I don't do any work on my car? I've done tons of stuff sicne I bought it. New plugs and wires, new fuel filter, oil change and filter, seafoam treatment, transmission fluid change, air filter, new serp belt, new radiator fluid and hoses, PCV, brake pads, and a handful of other things. You say I don't do anything on my car, yet I've done more in a few months than most poeple ever do in their lifetime. yeah its not a lot, but I could have been lazy and taken it to jiffy lube, and paid to have nothing done, so don't tell me I don't know how to do anything on my car when I've done about as much as I can do with the supplies that I have available to me. I've got two jackstands, a jack, an incomplete socket wrench set, and some pliers and screwdrivers. I pay for all my own maintenance as well, unlike all of my friends, whos parents pay for insurance, gas, and repairs/maintenance. I've also detailed my car three times since I got it 6 months ago. I may not like my car, but I do take care of it so that when I sell it, I"ll be able to get back as much as possible.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
pustang

ORIGINAL: Ole Yeller

ok i gotta drop in my .02..

i drove Zcar's for years, this mustang is the first American car i've ever owned.

i've owned every type of Zcar from a '72 240 Z all the way to a 92 300zxTT..... so i've got some equal opportunity here....

point blank and period, the Z is a pig.... look at the curb weight of the 90+ 300zx.... i'ts close to if not over 3200! (wow that sound similar to our cars...hmmm) yes it does have more horse power, the TQ on the other hand is a little off, and you really gotta keep it up to get the power. And have you ever even looked at an engine bay? do you have any idea how hard it is just to put a cone filter on those cars? you can barely mod anything on the motor without taking it out of the damn engine bay! plus what performance parts do you have??? on the N/A all you can do is go Turbo, on the TT's all you can do is go Single Turbo, or NOS..... and don't even get me started on the costs!!!!!!!! go ahead and pay $8 for a spark plug, $100 for wires, i'll stick to the less expensive stuff....

i'm extremely happy about my mustang. i can mod it, i can work on it, i don't have to tear my hand to pieces or unbolt and jack up the motor just to do some simple work! no it doesn't handle the best, but that can be worked on. about your 10KI can completely re-do the motor for less than in 3 grand, 3 more grand i can turbo the car, 2 grand in the suspension, and 2 grand to fly to where you are, stay in a nice hotel and slap some sence into you.

read a Haynes manual, look at a mod list, start looking at parts, change your own damn oil for onceand learn that a car is a mode of transportation you get to have fun with, if you get to impress some people along the way, cool. but he point is to get you from A - B. mod it, love it, and eventually you'll get your Z car. and can be happy.

*get's off his soapbox *
woah you'r a fking moron if you paid$8 for one spark plug,and a good suspension on a 300zx its only $500, and there are mods you can do to the na engine on the z like building the motor,new big throttle bodies with a bigger airintake,and no its not that hard to put the airfilter cone on a z if you know what a screwdriver is and learn how to use a socket set.

Quick Reply: Rant on slow sixxer