V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

New owner of a:

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
02 Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New owner of a:

ORIGINAL: xX98StallionXx

02 stang, I dont appriciate that. I also dont need your life lessons, but appriciate the thought... Ive said it before ill say it again... Theres still a slim chance i dont get the car. if i do great if i dont great. I am still looking for a dingerfor a DD before i would turn this into a DD. Done right, i could restore this car and with the inflated prices on muscle cars i could get more out of it. Thats my plan.. I will only have it for a couple of years. Make it look/runnicer etc. Sell it and buy something like a 1998 LS2 Camaro or an Edge GT.
You don't listen Stallion. I understand that you want a V8, but you're doing exactly what you did for your V6. You're pretty much saying you're settling on this car until you can get a 98 LS1 or something. I could honestly give a crap if you switch from Ford to Chevy, so if you think that's it, it's not. The fact of the matter is, you said you'd have $1,000 to work with and you plan on still modifying the car and buying a beater, correct? Well, what kind of car are you going to get in running condition for $1,000 that will not break down on you and require even more work than the Camaro? Why not wait another few years until you're out of school, THEN take on the project? You pretty much just traded a 1998 Mustang V6 for a 1977 Camaro V8? That's 21 years older. The power in that V8 is equal to the power in your V6. You will get raped by New Edge and S-197 V6's. Sure, it might sound good, but exactly what does that accomplish? You're giving up quite a few MPG's just for a car to "sound good" and "have a V8". In all honesty, I'm considering in 2 - 5 years whether I'm going to be buying a Civic Hybrid or a Dodge Challenger. The Hybrid is winning. Stallion, there is much more to life than a "good sounding V8", and you will unfortunately realize this the hard way. I really hope you do find a cheap Toyota or Honda and it works for you, but it will be in crap condition. Good luck to you, but $1,000 is going to get you nowhere. You would need $2,500 or so just for the paint that you want (Unless you meant the actual faded and rusted paint on bumblebee, I'm sure you can get that for $1,000 or so), and then you have to consider what exactly needs to be replaced in the car just to have it safe. Congrats though, you are the proud owner of a classic. I guess that's a good thing.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: 02 Stang

ORIGINAL: xX98StallionXx

02 stang, I dont appriciate that. I also dont need your life lessons, but appriciate the thought... Ive said it before ill say it again... Theres still a slim chance i dont get the car. if i do great if i dont great. I am still looking for a dingerfor a DD before i would turn this into a DD. Done right, i could restore this car and with the inflated prices on muscle cars i could get more out of it. Thats my plan.. I will only have it for a couple of years. Make it look/runnicer etc. Sell it and buy something like a 1998 LS2 Camaro or an Edge GT.
You don't listen Stallion. I understand that you want a V8, but you're doing exactly what you did for your V6. You're pretty much saying you're settling on this car until you can get a 98 LS1 or something. I could honestly give a crap if you switch from Ford to Chevy, so if you think that's it, it's not. The fact of the matter is, you said you'd have $1,000 to work with and you plan on still modifying the car and buying a beater, correct? Well, what kind of car are you going to get in running condition for $1,000 that will not break down on you and require even more work than the Camaro? Why not wait another few years until you're out of school, THEN take on the project? You pretty much just traded a 1998 Mustang V6 for a 1977 Camaro V8? That's 21 years older. The power in that V8 is equal to the power in your V6. You will get raped by New Edge and S-197 V6's. Sure, it might sound good, but exactly what does that accomplish? You're giving up quite a few MPG's just for a car to "sound good" and "have a V8". In all honesty, I'm considering in 2 - 5 years whether I'm going to be buying a Civic Hybrid or a Dodge Challenger. The Hybrid is winning. Stallion, there is much more to life than a "good sounding V8", and you will unfortunately realize this the hard way. I really hope you do find a cheap Toyota or Honda and it works for you, but it will be in crap condition. Good luck to you, but $1,000 is going to get you nowhere. You would need $2,500 or so just for the paint that you want (Unless you meant the actual faded and rusted paint on bumblebee, I'm sure you can get that for $1,000 or so), and then you have to consider what exactly needs to be replaced in the car just to have it safe. Congrats though, you are the proud owner of a classic. I guess that's a good thing.

Well Josh, I didn't want to say it, but Tyler is 100% right, if you havn't bought the car yet, then don't, we can't stress this enough to you. I've been there and done that, I have buddies that's been there and done that, and the fact is, old cars DO NOT LAST. I'm lucky, and I mean dead lucky, that I have a good enough paying job, and my situation is decent enough that I can both go to school and have play money for my car, but only a hand full of people my age are that lucky. Serriously, you havn't given this as much thought as you should. Your main goal right now should be to have a car that runs and gets you from point A to point B, once you have that, then, and only then, do you start saving to get a project car, you don't get the project car then the DD later. That's where I screwed up with my 5.0. I should have never gotten rid of my old V6 Mustang. An example, my EGR sensor just went out, and after a month of head scratching I narrowed the problem down to my EGR, but didn't know how to check it, come to find out it was the sensor, not the EGR itself. Point is, I've been without wheels for a month now and have been relying solely on family to get me around. Trust me this sucks, and just to think, my car is in much better shape than any old classic you're gonna pick up.

Like I said, we're not trying to be mean, or hard on you, but your ambitions are too big for your current situation and encome. Your first goal should be to finish high school, second should be to finish college, third should be to get a great job with that degree, fouth should be to get a house, and last, but not least your last goal should be a nice car. Granted it's nice to have a project car if, and only "IF" you can afford it, but serriously, buy this car and you'll be sorry, very very sorry for doing so later on.

I've learned from my friends and my own mistakes, so heed my words on this. Remember the sign S*IT HAPPENS, well it does, and when it hits the fan, everything tends to go bad.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

ok, i understand you all have valid points.. so i decided not to read this thread anymore... because its an uphill battle...as of now my dad is refusing to give me my money and im running out of time.. I cant afford a 98 ls1 or a edge because they cost 10k and i have 3.... so... yeah... i guess ill just see what happens come friday and then go from there.. Id like a fast car like a newer camaro or a notchback fox or edge gt... but ive always wanted a muscle car so... i dunno.. like i said we will see.. you all will be the first to know tho...

You are all making this decision so damn hard lol... ur saying no camaroforums saying yes.. but i cant tell whos the devil on my shoulder and whos the angel lol.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Daytripper540
3rd Gear Member

How much is the 'maro?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well I'll say this much, even a fox body Mustang is a risk. I think you need to be looking more into long term reliability at this point, remember, you can always hit mom and dad up, or grandmaw and grandpaw up after you graduate for a V8.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

well, its not like i cant afford the gas or the insurance, i did the math there. like u said, if the engine decides to crap out on me i guess i wont beable to afford that. But it is 2300 and honestly i had a friend of mine give me his opinion and he said it was a great deal for the mileage, year and cost. I am basically just stuck out in the wind for right now.. ill know more later i suppose...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:45 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

i love this post make shure to keep us informed stallion
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yet again, that bud doesn't have direct knowledge with old cars on a tight budget now does he. Remember, how you wanted to mod your sixer but you decided against it because of cost? Well this is the same thing just a different situation. Instead of the cost of parts to hp output, you're looking at the cost of keeping the car in running condition. Sure it may have great miles "FOR IT'S AGE" however, what if you buy the car tomorrow and next week you notice a sever squeek forming when you turn then wheel, that's gonna have to be fixed, do you have the cash for that. What if in5 moths the heater starts to go out will you have the cash to fix that. What if you go to get in the car and all you get is a click, can you afford a new starter along with the time it takes to change it out. What about regular carb maintanence, know how to do that, can you afford the needed parts? What if a gasket blows? What if the breaks start to go out due to wear, or leakage, can you afford that.

Now maybe nothing may happen, maybe a few things will happen, but point is, something will eventually happen, and when one thing goes, it's just a matter of time before other things go with it, and it's that chain reaction that breaks the bank and kills moral. It is for this reason why I can not stress enough having a newer reliable car for commuting and then, later on when you can afford more than just the insurance and gas, should you get into a project car.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

Lol your gonna make me take a long walk off a short cliff... Well you know what.. fine.. Ill just call her tell her some reason why i cant get it.. wait until im 18 find an edge orother GT or even a 4th gen fbody.. something more reliable i suppose... This is gonna be hard to explain to everyone who i told i was gonna get one... I had everything planned out.. I know if my friend can drive a 79 then i should have no problem with a 77, and his is in worse condition than the 77... more miles and more mods.. plus he makes the same amount of money as i do... but oh well.. back to the cutting block again.. Ill have to settle for a EFI engine and do small mods kuz i cant afford all the electrical ones.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Daytripper540
3rd Gear Member

I know a lot of people in High school that daily drive a 5.0

Quick Reply: New owner of a: