V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Girlfriends project 2000 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Default Girlfriends project 2000 Convertible

Well either im "whipped" or crazy maybe both, but I drove 860 miles round trip to buy jthorn9's convertible for my girl friend. To make things worse her mother and a friend came with us, so I was trapped with 3 women in my tiny stang for 7 hours. BUT I looked for a while at verts around here, $9,500, $8,500, $6,500, all for cars with way over 100,000 miles. Recalled seeing that Thorn was selling his mom's vert, so I got in touch with him. Purchased the car for stated price, $4,500. Few minor flaws such as paint and AC compressor but we have the means to fix these. IMO it was a very good deal for us and it Thorn is great to do business with, probably the best car buying expirience I have ever had, the only other might be when I bought my 69 F100.

We drove the car, a 2000 3.8, auto black convertible, 6 hours home, only issue was she must have run over something on the free way and it punctured a tire. Luckily Thorn was nice enough to include a second set of tires/rims in the cale so in 5min we were back on the road. 405 miles home the car ran perfectly, I checked the fuel mileage, we filled up before we left, after 246 miles we stopped and filled again, the car used 9.4 gallons for 246 miles, thats 26.1 miles to the gallon driving 75mph. My 98 averaged 25.5 driving 75mph.

She is VERY excited about the car and spent today cruising in our beautiful sunny weather with the top down. she is making a "wishlist" for tha car which includes duals, 17" bullit chrome rims (not my fav for that car, but she LOVES them) sequential tail lights, a couple 10" subs, and billet front grilles.

She is going to detail the car tomorrow so I will post pics then. I think it was worth the drive, Thorn is an honest fair guy and thats hard to find somethimes when buying older used vehicles. Made me a lot more comfortable about everything. She was very excited to get the car, it has taken over her passion LOL, she has a 1990 2500 Z71 Chevy extended cab that used to be her focus. Now she has the "mustang bug" Anyway, sorry for the long post. Pics are coming as well a more information and the car morphs into what she wants it to be.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

pics of gf or gtfo had to be done
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Well pics are coming tomorrow after we get it cleaned up. I wasnt too keen on the Bullits for the car, but while getting the tires put on at a shop where he friend works, she stumbled across a set of 17" chrome Cobra rims. guy said he could get them for her for $250 with a good set of used tires so she may put those on. I like them better on the car myself.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Post #8

GODDAMN THING BLEW UP, CAUGHT FIRE, CAME BACK AND RAPED MY DOG AND STOLE MY MELT!

JTHORN YOU SONOVABYOTCH I WANT MY MELT BACK!

Haha, all joking aside he is a great guy.
Congrats on the buy, $4500 is a good price for a clean vert with extra wheels.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Congrats!

what year cobras? 01's, 00, or 03/04 would kick ***....but i hate the 95R cobras with a passion on 99-04's.

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Post #8

GODDAMN THING BLEW UP, CAUGHT FIRE, CAME BACK AND RAPED MY DOG AND STOLE MY MELT!

JTHORN YOU SONOVABYOTCH I WANT MY MELT BACK!

Haha, all joking aside he is a great guy.
Congrats on the buy, $4500 is a good price for a clean vert with extra wheels.
Funny story-

Friend had a 95 V6 vert, hit deer. figured it wasnt worth it to fix, so buys a very clean 88 GT convertible w/ new interior, top, and very clean engine. 10 miels into the first drive(after many hours detailing in the driveway), fuel rail comes lose, and FIRE!. engine compartment engulfed, and the interior was down to seat frames and metal.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well thats just straight ****ty luck.

Invest in a chem Fire extinguisher or two.
And not the Tiny *** shiney eye candy ones either.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

these are the newer Cobras, not the 95's. 03 I think.

And im thinking about using the 98 15" rims he gave us on my 98. Decided to pass on new rims for my 98, had a bad day, tried to bulldoze a small pipe and scraped the crap out of my passenger front fender and front bumper and put a dent in the fender, also busted out the turn signal lense. Cracked the header panel, im going to straighten it up the best I can and get a local body shop to respray the front bumper and fender. Really upset me.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Try to find an OEM header panel, I have used aftermarket before and they tend to warp and crack over time.

Before you go off to paint, search your local salvage yards for matching color parts.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah I made a very fair price not trying to ask too much because I knew what it would of cost me to fix the car and I'd much rather put that kind of money into my Cobra. They have better connections for the body work than what I do so they're gonna get that done for little or nothing. I'm just glad to see the car go to somebody that truely needed one. I know that's what my mom would have wanted.

Yeah I threw in some extras have no reason to keep that stuff. If he would of hung around longer I probably would of given away some more rofl.

Now who wants to buy my 5.0 before I have to fix it and give it to my girlfriend soon to be fiance' because her current car is about to fall apart. Cause I really don't want to tear this motor down and pull it out the car just to put another one in because of a stupid shops p*ss port work.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

the 95, you say?

how much, i ask?

Quick Reply: Girlfriends project 2000 Convertible