Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Default Crank Pulley

Anybody tried to replace/find a new crank pulley for the V6 ?
Ford Racing had one for the Focus I had and as a seat of the of the pants dyno it was one of the best mods I had. You could really feel the difference in second and third gear and that was before I put a larger TB on it. Anyway any help would be great.
Keep up the good info coming in.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Crank Pulley

Here's one: http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6.htm
Old 03-11-2006, 10:39 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The asp pulley dosent appear to be any good, ask Scrming, he used to have one. Go with the PHP alternator pulley, thats what scrming has and what fazm and I have.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I had a UDP, on a 4 banger, but really don't understand how an alternator pulley would give you any more HP.
I thought the whole idea was to get rid of this big mass of spinning metal , reduce it diameter, and free up ponys.
Is it same/same on the alt ?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fig06

Thanks for the info. I had a UDP, on a 4 banger, but really don't understand how an alternator pulley would give you any more HP.
I thought the whole idea was to get rid of this big mass of spinning metal , reduce it diameter, and free up ponys.
Is it same/same on the alt ?
Thanks
The idea of an UDP is to spin the accessories slower... With an alternator pulley swap we seen a 3 to 5 RWHP gain. The gain is from spinning the alternator slower. We then added the ASP crank pulley and seen 0 gain... so it appears that the alternator is the biggest draw (at least sitting on the dyno). With the A/C off and the steering wheel straight their was nothing to be gained by slowing the A/C compressor or P/S pump down... Water pump doesn't seem to be much of a draw on our cars...???

The other issue i ran into is getting the proper belt. The belt that they tell you to use is to long. Mine started slipping and squealing... It also cut into my alternator cover (messing up my paint job!!!!) The only size I could find that was shorter appears to be too short... causing an issue with the tensioner.... So needless to say I have since removed the crank pully... and have gone back to stock...

If you want to pick up 3 to 5 RWHP go with the PHP alternator pulley (www.paulshp.com) I think you have to call to order...
Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. May want to forget the UDP fpr now and go the duels and springs.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:02 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

a slower spinning alternator aint to good if you have a sound system that needs juice quick
Old 03-12-2006, 02:53 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

a slower spinning alternator aint to good if you have a sound system that needs juice quick

heck I pulled my shaker 1000 subs and amps OUT! LOL!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:30 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

heck I pulled my shaker 1000 subs and amps OUT! LOL!

i like it
Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

What the hell, crank pulleys are what free up hp, not the alternator or anything else, just ask autobadges.com in the other V6 forum. No you won't get a huge gain, but 5rwhp free up seems to be about the adverage, now granted, your engines are way different than ours, but the key should still be in the crank pulley.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley