Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TRUE STORY. Went to dealership to get quote on exhaust mod. HAHAHAHAH!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Default TRUE STORY. Went to dealership to get quote on exhaust mod. HAHAHAHAH!!

It was for curiosity sake and I pass by there on my from work. So I sit down with the guy and tell him what I have been thinking about. He told me "we could go Flowmaster or Magnafloams whichever you chose. Magnafloams sound deeper I believe."[sm=WTFsgign.gif] YES, he did say Magnafloams. Now being new at this I actually thought that I was mispronouncing them but I cannot find a magnafloam anywhere. Anyway, I asked him if they make a cut on the bumper and he told me "We don;t make the cut but take my word for it it actually looks much better without the cut done. We drop everything lower. It looks good though. Plus we can paint it all black for you which I also reccomend doing for rust prevention." At this point I wish I had one of you in there with me because I was not sure which route to take. He gave me a quote of $1200 for everything. I almost died because that was WAY more than I expected. So I made sure by asking him "So it's 1200 dollars for a dual flowmaster or magnafloam exhaust? Is that with an H pipe?" His reply "no, with a Y pipe, it sounds just as good with the y. SO, I just read a post on here about someone getting a quote on a Ford Racing Borla, single. So I asked him about that. And he said "We normally do not install Borla but I would imagine it would be in the $5000 range."

Well anyway, I am glad I went because it confiremed some things for me. That they CAN install a dual exhaust and that I will not be going there. So I make a drive up to this local muffler shop. I mean, this place has muffler and exhaust pipe artwork everywhere. I talk to this guy who is just real down to earth but also a very eccentric dude(in a good way). He tells me that he likes the dual exhaust on the mustang but it is preference. He told me he can install duals(magaflows or flowmaster 40's), make the cut for $375. And then he told me he likes to display his vehicles for two hours so everyone that passes by can enjoy what it looks like(weird but he was a really down to earth guy!)

ANyway, just wanted to share with you guys. No matter what direction I take, I will be going to the local shop though. That is for sure.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TRUE STORY. Went to dealership to get quote on exhaust mod. HAHAHAHAH!!

Don't walk....run away from this guy.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TRUE STORY. Went to dealership to get quote on exhaust mod. HAHAHAHAH!!

Good Luck! That is one funny story Magnafloams! LOL! I didnt even think about the dealer when getting the dual exhaust done I knew they would have charged alot! That guy didnt know anything I feel bad for the person that says yes! wow that sucks!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

When installing any sort of aftermarket parts, stay far, far away from dealers!

Magnafloams... that's heeelarious!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
V6Vert
1st Gear Member

The dealer would probably take it to a muffler shop and have the work done, then charge you out the yang for it. +1 on staying away from the dealer for anything other than warranty work. He thought he saw you coming didn't he....lol
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teacherman
SO, I just read a post on here about someone getting a quote on a Ford Racing Borla, single. So I asked him about that. And he said "We normally do not install Borla but I would imagine it would be in the $5000 range."

This time you may be talking about my post! I got the single, and they installed it for less than $50 (I'd have to look at the invoice to see exactly how much...I got basic maintenence stuff done at the same time). However - the cost difference for dual is probably justified. The FRPP exhaust slips right over the stock setup for the V6 muffler, so no real "work" was required. I suspect they may have to do some work (besides the bumper cut) for the dual...I don't know for sure about that though. I think I'm lucky for having an SVT dealer as my "local" dealership (that's a relative term in the Chicago area)...they were really cool about suggesting things (or suggesting against things) and really came off as knowing their stuff.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:50 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Magnfloam... hmmmm... i'm guessing it just the supersized version of Floam! I've seen it on TV... I've been thinking about Floaming my car! LOL!

http://www.buyfloam.com/?cid=151514
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it was crazy. Do not even get me started on asking him if they do body work. I asked him if they install GT bumpers. He told me that it is not possible to do because of a "different dimension" that the GT bumper has. So I told him very poilitely(takes a lot to lose my temper) that I knew for a fact it can be done. And he says he knows for a fact that it cannot be done. So luckily he has his computer handy. I give him this website, click on some of the posts. I show him Ricanpassions car, Beaustangs car, and afixers car. And he says???? "those are Gt's!!" But he told me like I had no idea what I was talking about! He says "Those are Gt's sir, look at the grill lights. You may be thinking of the pony package that is on the new 06 model, that we CAN do no problem." I really thinking YOU are the MAN BRO! Lots of knowledge you have. [sm=loser.gif]

Well anyway, I am sure one of you would have just laid into him but I do not have enough knowledge so I just took his card and walked out. Oh well!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
User 113021
3rd Gear Member

Man, some of the people at the dealership, really shouldn't work there.... >_>
Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: teacherman
Well anyway, I am sure one of you would have just laid into him but I do not have enough knowledge so I just took his card and walked out. Oh well!!!
Nah...I'm with ya there. More fun to tell other people in-the-know and get a good laugh out of it, than argue with someone who is convinced they're right and is just going to get your blood pressure up.

Quick Reply: TRUE STORY. Went to dealership to get quote on exhaust mod. HAHAHAHAH!!