Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Stiff Street Racing Penalties

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Default New Stiff Street Racing Penalties

Hey guys I live in Calgary, Canada and I opened the paper only to find an article on street racing. I am not sure how stiff the fines are in the USA but check this out..WOW....all I gotta say is take it to the track.

Also I am not sure if this is plagerism but I had to scan and post this article. Sorry if this offends anyone but its worth the read

Read and discuss

Erdrickk

[IMG]local://upfiles/36533/A17D44BC097E4984AD494D0AF8CF7503.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Stiff Street Racing Penalties

Yeah there's a discussion about this in the 05/06 general forum too....a tad extreme I think, but probably some politician trying to get votes.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

Hey guys I live in Calgary, Canada and I opened the paper only to find an article on street racing. I am not sure how stiff the fines are in the USA but check this out..WOW....all I gotta say is take it to the track.

Also I am not sure if this is plagerism but I had to scan and post this article. Sorry if this offends anyone but its worth the read

Read and discuss

Erdrickk
It's not plagiarism. That would be if you took credit for the article as your work.

I gotta agree with McChicken here, it's some idiot politician who thinks he knows it all because he won a popularity contest. It's amazing that, to become all-knowing, all you need to do is have more people pick you than the other guy, eh?

I'm not sure about Canadian law or the application of civil rights in your courts, but here, in the U.S., I can think of several levels upon which that law (or at least the contingent penalty) would be struck down. At least under the fundemental application of our Constitution (however, we've let politicians ruin that too, here), but who knows how the politicians who masquerade as judges would rule...

If a law like this were to be passed, I'd support this penalty for people who blow red lights while they're on cell phones as well. I see FAR MANY MORE of those people than I do street racers, and their behavior is equally dangerous. So, maybe cell phone soccer mom can be cellies with a street racer!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I'm so glad to see our lawmakers focusing their attention where it needs to go! They've given up on the "war on drugs", but finally here's something our government can control!! I can only hope that next they go after those ba$tards that tear the tags off their pillows!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

In california you get screwed over for street racing

they arrest you,
ticket you,
crush your car afters its impounded...
Old 06-16-2006, 05:15 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

I think thats rediculous. Crushing someones car because they were racing? Think about it, what if the one time you fell into temptation and decided to race and then all of a sudden a cop comes out of nowhere, impounds your car, and then watch it be crushed to pieces. I think its inconsiderate to do that to someones car, and a lot of street races are actually done where no one but themselves can be hurt, the only difference is there is a guy standing where to light tree should be. How would you like to see your mustang being run over by a giant tractor?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

That's overly extreme punishment. I can understand people wanting retribution if somebody dies, but the fact of the matter is that nobody was trying to kill anyone, and that's a stupid thing to loose two lives over. One to death and the other to prison. Street racing is not the smartest thing in the world to do, but damn it's sure as hell not in the same catagory as murder, assult,rape, drugs.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:34 PM
blue_devil

i know some ppl that have gotten eight point tickets for racing, and they even give spectating tickets for anybody who is watching. what im wondering though is max prison sentence for vehicular man slaughter while intoxicated vs the vehicular manslaughter while racing.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM
v8Mike

While I agree with the above posts and think this is dumb, it sounds like the really extreme punishments are reserved for people who've killed or injured other while racing. I can't really say I have a probem with that. If you are truly driving recklessly enough to kill someone you should be severely punished, particularly for a second+ offense.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blue_devil

i know some ppl that have gotten eight point tickets for racing, and they even give spectating tickets for anybody who is watching. what im wondering though is max prison sentence for vehicular man slaughter while intoxicated vs the vehicular manslaughter while racing.
I don't know about other states, but for reckless homicide in Illinois (what we call vehicular manslaughter) the sentence for that charge, alone, is the same. You'd merely be prosecuted under a different subsection of the law, but would face the same penalty.

Quick Reply: New Stiff Street Racing Penalties