Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Custom Turbo Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:35 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default Custom Turbo Kit?

one of the guys i know one the mazdaspeed forums will sell me the turbo from his mazdaspeed protege for 200 bucks and i was wondering how much it would cost to get a new intake mani fabricated to fit the turbo and all the exhaust work to fit etc. If you guys can even give me a rough estimate it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:06 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom Turbo Kit?

anyone...?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

The turbo is not met for your car I wouldn't mess with it. See when I ordered my supercharger they built it to my application, my mods,my engine. I would think its the same with turbos. Now I would think They built that turbo for a totally different engine (mazda) and I doesn't belong on the mustangs. No matter what do Im not for sure though but you might want to just spend or charge $5000 if ya can.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Absolutetly no technical knowleadge on Turbos..... But my feeling is leave it alone...... There is more than just force feeding gases involved here.....such as Heat ...quality of unit to deliver in a constant (expected manner)......

I would think that if turbos were "exchangable" there would be a HUGE aftermarket of fitting parts.... IMO
Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I would PM or get blackfoot on this one. He was working on a custom turbo application for his car. Also, at the Collective ( http://american-speed.com/collective/forums/index.php? ) there is a member there called Turbo_J, and she built her own turbo kit and is running it on her 4.0 as well. She knows more about turbos than any other person I have run into on the forums. She knows them at the machinist level and at the tuning level.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

You can adapt just about any turbo to our stangs but there need to be some fabrication. If you have access to torch and know how to make parts, check out http://www.homemadeturbo.com/. When I had my Civic, I was considering making my own custom turbo for $500.
The only problem I see is tuning. You need to have it tuned for your car and need biger injectors.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't Ford own Mazda? Could they be using Ford engines? I don't know.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:41 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

well i wouldn't even be considering this if i didn't think this turbo was right for our cars, but it seems to be a good idea. This turbo was made to run low boost and spool quickly. Stock on the msp it makes 6.5 psi and spool very fast. Also, 200 bucks is just way to good of an offer to pass up. I know a good amount about turbos, i just don't trust myself to custom fabricate an intake manifold and all the other necessities, so i am trying to get a rough estimate on how much that would run me. This seems like the best option for me if i can get stuff made, because i am not looking for huge amounts of power, and 5 grand is just to much money for an extra 100hp in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Very cool. Again, I strongly suggest you talk to Turbo_J, she fabbed up a quality kit that was affordable. She is in the final stages now.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

how big is your turbine on that turbo your getting? anything smaller than a T3 youll be restricting too much exhaust flow.. also you dont need to fabricate a new intake manifold run your intercooler piping directly into your throtle body.. your gonna need injectors, a tuner, your gonna nned an intercooler, size is up to you really, as long as it fits.. you are gonna need to fabricat a Y pipe from your manifolds to your turbo , i guess midas can hook you up with that.. basically your gonna have to get exhaust tubing and a pipe bender (mandrel) and make up a blueprint, either keep the exhuast tubing, or get pipes ordered to your specs any other questions?

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo Kit?