Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Question

ORIGINAL: parched_son

Just posted this, but thought I'd throw it up again.... I got this from VMP this morning. I'm west coast and have no affiliation/association with them. Their website indicates 25 WHP with this set up.

"Hi, this is what i would recomend:[/align] [/align] http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=92[/align] [/align] the SS GT muffler will last 10x longer than the MAC junk[/align] [/align] thanks,[/align]

Justin Starkey
VMP Tuning Inc
Owner/Tuner
Ford and GM Custom Tuning
Mobile DynoJet 224xLC
www.VMPTuning.com
To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply."
cant remember which mustang magazine exactly but there was review on the 4.0 with basic mods that included the C&L, UDP, and MAC muffler. they said that for aftermarket exhaust, it was only good for sound no gain in performance. maybe this ties into the actual quality of the MAC? [>:]
Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

You have to have a tuner for that intake. I am in the process now of saving money to buy a tuner. I have a post about that intake. Make sure you get a tuner or you will be running lean.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Well I guess you know where he stands regarding MAC???

What's strange about his package is if you buy the CAI/Tune and then buy the GT takeoff by itself from him it ends up costing less than the 3-pack. He needs to review his package price. With that said, he knows his stuff. For a V6, if you haven't done anything to your car, this is the best deal out there while at some places you only get CAI/Tune for this price. If you get 20-25 more WHP from these mods then that is excellent for basic bolt ons. That puts a manny tranny over 200WHP and an auto tranny a little more pep
i wondered this also and looked into it. i think justin may need to make a larger side note on the products page to not confuse some customers. If you notice on the power package, shipping is free. on the tuner/cai alone and muff alone, shipping is NOT free. you may end up paying more out of your wallet on shipping costs if you purchase the items separately. that might also depend how how far away you live but then again, if you live close enough, you could probably just pick it up in person.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:50 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

what would be a good choice of a tuner? and can you use the tuner over and over again as you get more upgrades? to tune the engine?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

sct is the most popular and widely used in tune shops. diablo would be the next popular choice. Not as widely used (online anyways) as the sct but great overall because of its software upgrades via internet and its extremely user friendly interface. I own a diablo predator so i speak from my experience with it. others can chime in on the pros with the sct. you may come across other tuners out there from other manufacturers (SuperChips, etc.) but its to your benefit to get the tuner that suits your personal preferences and most of all, its compatibility with custom tune shops. "custom tunes" is where you'll get the most out of your car so the quality of the actual tune file is the real difference.

oh yeah, to answer the other question about using it over and over:YES. if you decide to change tunes or modify one yourself, you can do it as much as you please. Just be careful on what you change especially if you dont understand what each parameter does.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

I'm forced to wait because $$$ is an issue.
Amen to that. I'm pretty surethat is alot of people's problem, unless they take out a loan. But I try not to buy anything I can't afford.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 AM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

I've got the BBK and it is a good looking intake. I personally didn't need a tune with mine but I ordered anxcal-2 from Steeda (bad move) and when I finallygot it to work it was aHUGE difference. Don't hesitate to get the tune as soon as you can afford it. You will really wake the car up.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Ok I dont mean to be post jackin here but, this is the way I see it because I was considering the same thing he is by just getting a CAI then a tune later. Ok so the intake will help some but they dont give you very much at all unless you get the tuner. So what you are saying is that 1. either that the tune makes it just that much better, because I have seen tuners that will give you 25+ horses with a intake or 2. The factory MAF and computer will not operate well with the aftermarket intake. The only reason why I ask this is money is tight.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

you can buy it, but dont put it on. you can ruin your eingine/comp if you run too lean for too long.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I dont understand how that is supposed to make any difference, I understand the mechanics of engines and stuff like that but a CAI isnt that big of a increase in flow. I mean yea it does help. It helped my truck but I never burned a hole in the top of my pistons either from running to lean. I mean that is what your MAF sensor is there for. So atleast my thinking is that as long as your tube is the same or relatively the same as the MAF then it is detecting how much air is flowing into the engine when mean that they only thing that should effect the amount of fuel and air is the computer program itself

Quick Reply: CAI Question