Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
07Mustang_On_18s

Default CAI Question

Hey guys. I just ordered a BBK CAI for my 07 V6 Mustang. I am hearing that getting a chip and tuning it is a must. Do you really get that much more gain out of tuning it? If so, how much would it cost to chip my car, on average. And, what are some good chips.
And, what are the approximate gains with and without chiping it.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Question

Hey man I have an 07 also. On 18's I bet that looks pretty cool! did you lower it at all?

First there is a sticky that has a ton of info in it at the top of the main 4.0 page also check out
Brenspeed tunes
Bama Chips &
VMP tunes
These seem to be the most popular around here, and I am going to be ordering from one of them soon.
Hope this gets you on the right track.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

without a tune that CAI is a waste of money
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallout

Amen to that
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
07Mustang_On_18s

Can I tune my car without a chip?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

there is a computer in your car. The handheld tuner that you buy saves the factory tune and replaces it with one that you chose, be it for 87 or higher octane. it also takes into account increased airflow from the CAi. It's best to buy the combo CAI/tuner from the same vendor and get the tunes included with the kit.

Don't get nervous. As i've posted before, and please do a search as this topic goes on ad nauseum. A few questions for you

Can you turn your key in your car from start to off?
Do you think you can use an up and down arrow and press an enter or select button?

Do you know how to use an allen wrench (some call it hex key) ?

Do you have a screwdriver?
Do you have a wrench?

Are you willing to spend 30 minutes start to finish including opening the package, getting your tools installing the CAI/Tune and cleaning up to make your car behave better, be more peppy and get better MPG?

A CAI/tune on a sixer should give you about 15-18 more WHP but improve the response tremendously. You should also cahnge your axle back with either a GT take off or go to the aftermarket where there are various choices for sound and prices ranging from $130-$400.

CAI/Tune and axle back should give you almost 25 more WHP if you use a 91 octane or higher tune. Don't be nervous. In fact, once you do it, you will kick yourself for having waited.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:58 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

there is a computer in your car. The handheld tuner that you buy saves the factory tune and replaces it with one that you chose, be it for 87 or higher octane. it also takes into account increased airflow from the CAi. It's best to buy the combo CAI/tuner from the same vendor and get the tunes included with the kit.

Don't get nervous. As i've posted before, and please do a search as this topic goes on ad nauseum. A few questions for you

Can you turn your key in your car from start to off?
Do you think you can use an up and down arrow and press an enter or select button?

Do you know how to use an allen wrench (some call it hex key) ?

Do you have a screwdriver?
Do you have a wrench?

Are you willing to spend 30 minutes start to finish including opening the package, getting your tools installing the CAI/Tune and cleaning up to make your car behave better, be more peppy and get better MPG?

A CAI/tune on a sixer should give you about 15-18 more WHP but improve the response tremendously. You should also cahnge your axle back with either a GT take off or go to the aftermarket where there are various choices for sound and prices ranging from $130-$400.

CAI/Tune and axle back should give you almost 25 more WHP if you use a 91 octane or higher tune. Don't be nervous. In fact, once you do it, you will kick yourself for having waited.
I'm forced to wait because $$$ is an issue.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
parched_son

Just posted this, but thought I'd throw it up again.... I got this from VMP this morning. I'm west coast and have no affiliation/association with them. Their website indicates 25 WHP with this set up.

"Hi, this is what i would recomend:[/align] [/align] http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=92[/align] [/align] the SS GT muffler will last 10x longer than the MAC junk[/align] [/align] thanks,[/align]

Justin Starkey
VMP Tuning Inc
Owner/Tuner
Ford and GM Custom Tuning
Mobile DynoJet 224xLC
www.VMPTuning.com
To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply."
Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Well I guess you know where he stands regarding MAC???

What's strange about his package is if you buy the CAI/Tune and then buy the GT takeoff by itself from him it ends up costing less than the 3-pack. He needs to review his package price. With that said, he knows his stuff. For a V6, if you haven't done anything to your car, this is the best deal out there while at some places you only get CAI/Tune for this price. If you get 20-25 more WHP from these mods then that is excellent for basic bolt ons. That puts a manny tranny over 200WHP and an auto tranny a little more pep
Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

ORIGINAL: Fallout

Amen to that
ONLY unless you never intend on tuning it, OR if you get a good CAI for DIRT CHEAP. "Easier breathing" only helps.

Quick Reply: CAI Question