Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Best mods for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default Best mods for a daily driver?

Okay, so I haven't bought my new V6 yet, but I will probably within the next two or three months. As I get closerto buying it, I'm trying to settle on what mods I want to make to it. Here are the specifics of how I'll use the car: It'll be my daily driver, meaning I'll use it as my primary mode of transport. Getting to and from work, going around town, etc. I willNOT be drag racingnor challenging anyone from stoplight to stoplight. I will, however, have to contend with LA street traffic, which means lots of freeway driving, passing people in and out of traffic, and stopping and going.

I know I want to switch out stock exhaust for a better one, which will probably be a Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back. I wanta less restrictive muffler and better sound. Other than that, I'm not sure of any more mods, if any, I need to make. Besidesa window tint, I think the stock package with an upgraded exhaust setup will do just fine.

Does anyone have any other suggetions for a daily driver? I've also considered the CAI/tuner mod, but I'm not sure it's worth the money and time, especially considering how I intend to use the car. Again, all I want is a fast, responsive, agile car that can get me through rush hour traffic, and deliver a punchon the rare occasions that the freeway isn't jammed. Thanks in advance for any adviceyou give...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best mods for a daily driver?

A few more details: I know I'm gonna add the Pony Package and Safety Package, which add on ABS and traction control...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

A pair of fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror will complete the mod.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

Ok, just kidding.
I think that an axleback exhaust is a good start.
Tint and/or Louvers for the quarter windows for the appearance.
For your purpose, I'm not sure you need to go too far with the performance mods, other than the exhaust and at most the CAI and tune.
Good luck. Share pictures.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

IMO, a stock V6 will do what you desire JUST FINE. although 210hp may seem really little compared to the V8's 300hp, it is actually more than enough for daily driving. You'll be fine being stock... until you get hit by the mod bug... then it becomes a whole different story
Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Single performance axle- back muffler,a CAI and tune. VMP has a great 4.0 performance package but many more also available.The CAI and tune is almost amust on our Mustangs(especially automatics). Throttle response is greatly improved. This is the ONE mod to do even if you do nothing else.
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

You'll be fine being stock... until you get hit by the mod bug... then it becomes a whole different story
Yeah, I think I have the mod bug already, and I don't even have the car yet LOL... I think you're right: from the test drives I've taken, the stock V6 is more than fine. Swapping out the stock exhaust for a louder, nicer looking one may be all I need to do...
noober
3rd Gear Member

Here's a list of items to get and the reasons you should get them:

CAI + Tune - Get this for better response (more sensitive throttle,) better gas milage and a quicker car overall. This is a first and foremost for all Mustangs, IMO.

Exhaust - A few more horsies, an easier-breathing engine, as well as a better sound. Get duals for the cosmetics because your car looks unbalanced otherwise.

Gearing - The stock 3.31s are fine and dandy, but if you wanna pass traffic (say that jerkoff in front of you going 55 in the fast lane) and need to move it fast, you'll be glad you have a different gear. It will get you faster "off the line," but it does make your car move quick at low RPMs. The only setback is you get a slightly lower MPG because you'll be revving a little higher, but a nice tune will reverse those effects while giving you nearly twice the torque + boost. Most V6s use 3.73s for daily drivers but a few use 4.10s. They claim no issues but you will be chugging gas like an Irishman chugs beer on St. Patrick's Day.

Other than that, there's the option of a TLOK/LSD (limited slip differential) which basically transfers power to both rear wheels instead of just the rear passanger wheel, but since you're getting TCS, it may be moot seeing as you won't really be utilizing the LSD all that much.

Other than that, the rest is either in the engine or swapping out the driveshaft for a lighter aluminum one. The only issue with that is that there's no HP gain, just a stronger driveshaft for if you ever dyno your car without a governor. Our cars peak out at 115, which is about the breaking point (literally) of the stock drive shaft.

Other than that, everything else is exterior. You won't really need upgraded breaks unless you're a hard stopper, wheels shouldn't be an issue, and unless you're doing canyon passes like I do (completely ridiculously...) then you won't need a shock kit or sway bars.

Pulleys and the like are overpriced options that are out of what you really should be considering so I didn't list them here.

Hope this helps! BTW, I know all this only because I've been living on these forums for the past 2 months.

Edit: With the 3 things I mentioned, you're looking at possibly 25RWHP which would bring you up to somewhere around 210RWHP on a dyno tune. I should note that it's a common misconception that changing gears increases horsepower: it doesn't. If I'm right, it only increases the torque. One last thing: If you're looking to mod a car, look at torque more than horsepower... Please!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

I too use mine as my daily driver. Since I need it to last for as long as possible after I get my Masters degree in 5 years, I've decided not to screw with any of Ford's expert engineering. This means no tunes, which pretty much means no bolt ons for me. I'm paranoid that a tune isn't good for the car in the long haul. Instead, I've gone the exterior mod look, with painted mirror covers and quarter window louvers. Nothing major to ruin the car, just enough to add even more to the retro look. Once my golf course job starts up in the spring, I'll buy catback duals for that added growl, and thats the end for me.

Like others have said, the 210 is more than enough for daily driving, lane changes, laughing at civics... When I've had a bad day or want to get my mind off something, it has enough power for me to open up and have some fun. Plus its a Mustang, can you think of a greater American car icon besides the Vette?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 AM
JimC

Mine is my daily driver and I drive in Detroit traffic - I also have driven around LA on business. The CAI and tune is really needed in my opinion. If you are doing any highway driving and need to be able to move from the stopped lane into the lane that is moving, the throttle lag on the stock setting is dangerous. The CAI and tune will take that lag away so when you hit it the car will move.

Quick Reply: Best mods for a daily driver?