Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 Electical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
pilgrimpete

Default 2006 Electical Issues

I bought a 2006 V6 Auto this summer but it immediately had a few minor issues with lights and particularly blinkers.

When I first had it, I noticed that the blinkers flashed very fast and the clicking noise in the cabin was also fast. After about two weeks, the rear blinkers stopped working altogether, as did the brake lights, although the tail lights and all other lights still worked.

The local Ford dealership took it in and actually fixed a lot of it even though the warranty had technically expired about a week before!

However, it came back still flashing very fast (even though all bulbs appear to work) and also, the alarm/lock mechanism seemed to get messed up.

I have a couple of questions and appreciate any help or pointers anyone can offer.

When I first got the car, I noticed that the left rear blinker flashed the outermost of the three lighted areas. The right rear blinker flashed the middle of the three! I manually went in and simply swapped the bulbs and holders over so that the two outermost lights blinked. Then they stopped working, along with the brake lights a few weeks later - was my "fix" a contributing cause to this do you think?

What is the standard for the rear lights/blinkers on a 2006 V6 Mustang? I thought that the outermost parts of the 3-part light would flash for indicators, all three would light up for tail lights and all three would light up for brakes. On mine, the indicators seem ok (except for being too fast!) but only the tail lights light up all three parts - the brakes just light up the outermost again. Is this correct?

I tried comparing to similar looking Mustangs but they seem to use all three parts of the rear light for brakes.

Should I just go out and buy all new replacement bulbs and switch out all the bulbs in the rear lights and also the front indicators?

As far as the locking goes - the car would lock correctly when I first got it. I would press the remote key fob once to lock and twice would chirp the horn and flash the blinkers.

Now, it still locks but the second press makes it chirp 3-4 times (loud!) and the blinkers don't flash - the manual says this means that a door or the trunk are open but they are not. The trunk/door ajar warning still seems to work ok.

This started happening after I got the car back from the dealership. So they fixed a couple of things, half-fixed something else and then messed up another thing that was fine before. I am guessing they put in a new computer multifunction box or something because when it came back, daytime running lights were on which I did not have before.

I couldn't really ask the dealership to take it in again when they had just fixed the most serious problems for free, a week out of warranty but it sure would be nice to get some of these other annoying things taken care of myself.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Your SJB has gotten wet from the cowl vent leaks that the S197s have.
There is a TSB out on the water leaks. The SJB that controls all the electrical items
minus the engine managment has gotten water damaged.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
MR305
1st Gear Member

ok. i think that the only problem that you have is that the bulbs are F*cked up... the blinkers flashing really fast is cause one or more bulbs are not working. Turn on right and left blinkers and make sure that the two outside rear bulbs are flashing ( on each side) . They are two filaments Sylvania bulbs ( don't know wish ones exactly ). Something like that happened to me and it was that one filament of one of the right blinker was not working. after replacing bulbs if it still flashing fast, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and connect back on to reset computer.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MR305
ok. i think that the only problem that you have is that the bulbs are F*cked up... the blinkers flashing really fast is cause one or more bulbs are not working. Turn on right and left blinkers and make sure that the two outside rear bulbs are flashing ( on each side) . They are two filaments Sylvania bulbs ( don't know wish ones exactly ). Something like that happened to me and it was that one filament of one of the right blinker was not working. after replacing bulbs if it still flashing fast, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and connect back on to reset computer.
Exactly! But also check the front turn signal markers, maybe one is out.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
pilgrimpete

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I'll look at putting in all new bulbs and also check the smart junction box area for a leak - I've already looked around that area and it looks like the dealership may have replaced the SJB when they had the car in the summer - there were a couple of "new" parts all around, including the plastic in the trunk that hides the tail lights and new trunk carpeting, as well as some new shield over the SJB when I looked.

Certainly, the bulbs replacement might fix the fast flash but with the alarm not arming right any more, that might appear to point at an SJB problem.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Your SJB has gotten wet from the cowl vent leaks that the S197s have.
There is a TSB out on the water leaks. The SJB that controls all the electrical items
minus the engine managment has gotten water damaged.
I second this suggestion.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I actually had the "fast blink" problem two times, both times they went away by the time I could look at it. Then suddenly it happened again, and this time the bulb went out.

I went and replaced all my tail/brake lights with Sylvania extended life bulbs and haven't had a problem since. I am fairly sure (ive noticed alot of Mustangs like this) that they used some pretty cheap bulbs from the factory.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM
pilgrimpete

I replaced all the blinker bulbs this weekend past, as advised here.

Replacing the front blinkers changed nothing but as soon as I swapped out all the tail light bulbs, it fixed it!

Not only that, the actual lights that lit up went to pretty much what I thought it should be - now two of the three bulbs flash for braking and indicating, as well as hazards. Before it was just the two outside lamps that did anything.

Now the only thing wrong with the car is the messed up door locking/alarm chirp. I guess I can live with that.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions. It's nice not to have to listen to the crazy clicking any more.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The door/lock alarm issue, try unplugging your battery let it sit for 15 minutes then plug it back in and see if it fixes your issue.

Just a suggestion.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
pilgrimpete

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The door/lock alarm issue, try unplugging your battery let it sit for 15 minutes then plug it back in and see if it fixes your issue.

Just a suggestion.
I did try this but it didn't make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Quick Reply: 2006 Electical Issues