Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharge or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
allaflhollows

Well I'm almost sold on the Powerhouse Turbo. The side exhaust is the thing that I want the most out of all of that.

Also this car isn't going to be going in straight lines, how about curved lines sideways.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

as in drifting? do you have a limited slip rear?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
black08mustang
2nd Gear Member

what about the pro charger kit for the v6's??
Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black08mustang
what about the pro charger kit for the v6's??
They make good numbers. not as good as a turbo, but as good as any S/C. And they don't have the troublesome issues that they used to have when they first came out.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Have you looked around for turbos? The market is really big. I'm looking at the GT32 or GT35 Garrett Turbocharger "family" for my car.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
+1 on lower gears. 4.10's + turbo=very hard to find traction I hear. 3.73s or 3.55s would be better (3.31's wouldn't be bad either if you want to save some money).
The sway bars aren't needed, they are a handling mod (although a rear sway bar would help with traction/gettting the power to the ground a bit). GT suspension as stated, isn't needed.
Brakes aren't needed if you don't drive like an idiot (although heavy duty brake pads or gt brakes could help if you do).
Side exhaust is really expensive and not smart if you're on a budget. A JBA or pypes complete dual exhaust won't run much more if any over $500 or the ever popular FRPP dual exhaust I believe is $700 if you want great sound and performance.
As for Max performance or performance/dollar I think the PH411 turbo is hard to beat. I haven't heard any problems with it and it seems to be putting your average few bolt-on 4.0 into the 12's with ease while maintaining perfect streetability. And the potential for an 11sec DD is their if you want to squeeze everything out of it.
I would suggest not swapping to a manual. First it would be very expensive. Second, if you don't get a strong enough manual trans swapped in the car, it will brake. Fazm's broken I believe a transmission or a few with the power he is putting down. And I haven't heard anyone breaking the auto tranmission with the kit as a DD and to back this up these auto transmission are very strong and built to take a lot of power.

Good luck on your decisions and remember to have fun with your car
5 t5's and 1 tr3650, although the tr3650 did not fail due to power.

to handle the power, the auto is better. manuals are just more fun to drive and take more skill going downt he 1/4

with 100 octane gas putting down 440rwhp and 500rwtq on a turbo kit is pretty easy to do.

500rwhp will take leaded race fuel most likely (or VP109 unleaded) and 17+psi

if i had the choice of going back and picking a different power adder, i wouldnt. i think hands down its the most fun to drive, not to mention the look you get from people from your v6 beating them, and the nice turbo sounds to go along with
Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
pepperquill1
1st Gear Member

Why dont you just trade ur car in and get a v8?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pepperquill1
Why dont you just trade ur car in and get a v8?

Very good suggestion. He's still stock and wants GT power or more, GT suspension, and a stick. This sound like the OP's best option. For the $9k+~(including trans swap) he would spend on his car he could just trade for a manual GT and put a few grand into that. It's an option, especially if he wants a manual track car (I hear manuals are better for the track).
Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
... It's an option, especially if he wants a manual track car (I hear manuals are better for the track).
Depends on how good you are with a manual!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by basketballord
Depends on how good you are with a manual!
AUTO's always give much more consistent times than the manual at the track unless you can shift faster than an AUTO....JMO

Quick Reply: Supercharge or Turbo