Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 AM
serbiandude
1st Gear Member

Default Cold Air Intake Question

hey guys, i just purchased a 08 v6 stang' about a week ago and i freakin love it, its not the gt but i love it
i want to put in a Cold air intake but im not sure which one would be the best and do i have to reprogram my PCM ?
so if anyone has any suggestion that would be appreciated
thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The first three mods you want to get are gears, a track lok, and a tune and tuner in no particular order.

Notice I didn't say CAI? CAI's just aren't worth much for the car.

True dual exhaust and an underdrive pulley would all be before a CAI aswell.

Most tuners will update your tunes for free so there's no restriction to having to immediately get a cai combo.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM
serbiandude
1st Gear Member

ok thx
i was thinking about the dual exhaust first, then working my way towards tune

i want to mess with the looks a lil as well, but im having trouble finding tose hoods u can just add on, and those covers that go on the back lil windows
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

I went with dual exhaust first, but I would advise to get the CAI/Tune combo. It's cheaper to get it all at once and the CAI will definitely benefit the tune.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

what you need to do is get an oversized CAI that REQUIRES a tune along with a programmer preloaded with custom tunes from one of the online tuning shops (BamaChips, VMP, Brenspeed, etc.). look at all your tuning shop choices and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. everyone has their preference but you can't lose with any of the top ones IMO. as for which CAI or Programmer to go with, do a search first and see what you find. there are tons of posts and threads regarding this very same topic. very good info/reviews so read all you can before you lay down the cash. the CAI/Tuner is a great first mod if you want to instantly separate yourself from the rest of the stocker 6ers on the road. another good first mod is exhaust purely for looks and sound. you may notice a little extra pep but its still more for a beefier sound and meaner look. good luck.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The C&L CAI like Sancho805 probably has is the one to have, it's one of the top 5 intakes for the v8 mustang out of like 30.

Getting a combo saves you about $20.

Last edited by Legion5; 05-04-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Just use the search tool and read read read. There are numerous ways you can go on this issue and a ton of information on this forum alone about this. In the end I went with the C&L intake. I got it off of another member here who decided to upgrade to the x-charger. So keep your eyes open in the classifieds for a used one if money is an issue. But if you decided to go new just look at the top tuners online like stated they will get you a decent package deal with the tune tuner and intake. But i've heard that its the best if you get it dyno tuned by a local shop. Thats what i'm planning on doing.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
jrsyedb
1st Gear Member

I would say go with the CAI/Tuner combo, I think its the best startup, IMO. That was my first mod and it really woke my car up, you love driving your car now, get a CAI/Tuner combo and it will be 10 times more fun. I also went with C&L as I read alot online and found them to be the most reputable. Breenspeed or Bama for the tune, can't go wrong with either. After the CAI, I went with Dual exhaust. My next mod will be gears and T-lok. Good luck on your decision and congratulations on your purchase.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

I jumped on the C&L predator combo at bamachips.

The thing also to consider is how it enhances the entire powerband on the 4.0L. Before the intake/tune I wanted gears bad because it felt like it had no power on the highway in 5th gear due to 5th gear being to tall. After the intake/race tune/ and SLP powerflo exaust, the thing has good passing power even in 5th gear. Without even trying to race, I've had people think they were racing me when I was in 4th gear and I had an entire extra gear I could drop down to
Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 AM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

K&N is good for no tune, but you really do want a tune. There are really no gains w.o a tune.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Question