Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vacation in the Pony

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default Vacation in the Pony

Drove from Saint Louis to Knoxville and back again. Around 1460 total miles...1200 miles highway and the rest local and Smoky Mountains.. and 62 gallons of gas. Had the cruse control on at 72 most of the way.. and averaged 24 mpg on the highway at 2500 rpm.

All in all it was really nice having my car.. It was me, my wife, my 5 year old and a weeks worth of stuff.. My daughter was very comfortable in the back.. but me and the wife would have appreciated better seats (we only stopped once each way).

Road noise was very tolerable.. even with a little gear whine.. however, there were a few times when my wife gave me looks about the tight suspension (going over bridges).. That said.. there were also two occasions when the tight suspension probably saved our butts (near accidents on the highway).

So.. if any of you are worried about taking a family trip in the stang... We were all impressed with how comfortable it was.. and how much stuff you can fit in the trunk. The trip pretty much validated my hope of keeping this.. or another stang.. as my daily driver for a long time.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

What the.... you bring that story here... post it, and put no pictures up!?!?

Come on Sandman! Sheesh!

Glad you had a good trip, I drove my stang from Houston, TX. to Quincy, IL. last year, and my wife and I are planning to do the Ol' Route 66 trip, the entire thing in my stang. It is not bad at all on long trips.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

The longest single trip I've made in mine was a round trip from central OH to the Detroit area.

We're planning on going to Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week in July so that'll be a good test. The Detroit trip was about 2 weeks after I bought the car so it was completely stock. Mustang Week will be interesting with the Borla exhaust. It definitely has drone and I'm not sure how that's going to work out.......keeping my fingers crossed the wife doesn't have me rip it off by the time we're done........
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

After driving in my car when i had the single MAC (drone city)... my wife was the one that suggested an exhaust upgrade. I said "honey, I would have put on a more refined exhaust.. but I was trying to save money".. She then suggested that it would have been/be better to "do it right" the first time.

I ordered the FRPP kit that night (along with Steeda springs)

Maybe it will work in your favor

Originally Posted by red07Pony
The longest single trip I've made in mine was a round trip from central OH to the Detroit area.

We're planning on going to Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week in July so that'll be a good test. The Detroit trip was about 2 weeks after I bought the car so it was completely stock. Mustang Week will be interesting with the Borla exhaust. It definitely has drone and I'm not sure how that's going to work out.......keeping my fingers crossed the wife doesn't have me rip it off by the time we're done........
Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Glad to hear you had a good trip. We've taken our S197's up to New England several times without problems. My old 4.0L/5spd coupe would average almost 26 mpg with two adults, a child, and a trunkload of stuff, and that with 4.10:1 gears! With another kid on the horizon though, we got rid of my coupe for a 4.0L Explorer. Oh well, the wife still has her S197 vert, and I now have my SSP Mustang to play around with. :-)
Old 06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i took mine from memphis tn to destin florida 2 years ago.... with stock exhaust, wasnt too bad...the seats do get uncomfortable after awhile....

im getting married july 8 in gatlinburg tn in the smoky mountains and my girl wants to take my car so she can have pics of her riding in the convertible in her wedding dress and all....

my problem is i have the ford racing (borla) stinger exhaust. I put resonators on this week and staggered them 3 inches like everyone said on here, and all i can say is dont believe the hype cause it did not make much difference at all. I cant imagine how bad it would be driving in the freaking mountains uphill at 70! There probably wouldnt be a marriage taking place after that ride....

so my solution for now is... i just ordered gt take off mufflers from ninosport for 80 bucks and im gonna put them on just for this wedding trip, then put the stingers back on...ill save the gt mufflers in my garage for long trips...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:52 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

We took a similar trip one week after getting the stang in 2005; about 1800 miles with me, the old lady, and one of my daughters, with a trunk full of stuff. it was on stock setup, but very practical. It was then, doing mid-90's on some city bypass (and still getting passed), that I realized the stock tires were not good at high speeds!

Glad you enjoyed the trip
Old 06-17-2009, 02:52 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07Pony

I wonder if you installed Dynamat inside your car would help cut down on your drone? I know it helps make your radio sound much, much better by cutting out the noise from outside.

Here's a link to their website;

http://www.dynamat.com/
Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Sandman - LOL - That's the line I used on the wife to upgrade from the Flowmaster AT TO the Borlas!! I didn't know they had the drone that they do....

JD - You've got a GREAT idea!! That's called havin' your cake and eating it too! I'll most likely be going through the mountains in WV on our way down to SC so yea, I'm worried. Also, thanks for sharing your experience with the resonators because I was beginning to think that was THE solution as well. Congrats on the wedding BTW

07_Stang - Dynomat...I'm going to have to look at how expensive that'll be. Good suggestion

Last edited by red07Pony; 06-19-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I've driven my pony solo from Boston to the Kansas City, KS area twice since I've had it, and will be doing it again in about three weeks. About 1400mi each way.

If there was a way to get paid for a top-down cross country trip in a 'stang convertible, I'd be willing to make a career of it