Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP 3.73 Gears + T-LOK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Mattwood440

Originally Posted by serbiandude
i have a question to add
the v6 models are not 8.8 inch rear ends, they'r are 7.5 inch
do the 4.10 as well as the 3.73 fits on 08 v6, do u have to get a gt takeoff rear end and where would you be able to find one?
If I understand your question, yes there are 4.10 and 3.73 gear sets that fit the 7.5" rear end. So no you would not necessarily have to get the 8.8 to have those gear ratios.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Mattwood440

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Keep in mind that an 8.8 rear is at least 50 pounds heavier than the stock rear. If you are not going FI.. or running the car at the track with slicks.. it is not really necessary. That said.. there is nothing at all wrong with "overbuilding" the rear end (if you don't mind the added weight).

The t-lok itself is not really that expensive.. and you really do need it with the 3.73 or 4.10 gears.. traction will be an issue if you don't.
I thought I read somewhere that it was less than 50lbs heavier, then I read that it was over 50lbs.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

QUESTION: has anyone actually blown their 7.5 t-lok under regular driving conditions while F/I? seems that its only an issue if you take it to the track. i believe Beaustang is still running a 7.5 (4.10) with the X.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

A member from another forum (that used to be called "4.0...) weighed his.. and this is what he said:

"V6 stock-no tloc 120 pounds

8.8 with 3.73s and tloc 175 pounds

I am not 100% sure it is completely accurate but after picking them both up together I am gonna say I am at least pretty close with a 55 pound difference. DAMN!"

Also.. while this is solely based on information gathered from the internet.... If you are going to run track drag radials you should get the 8.8. If your are your average driver that will have street tires.... even with a few burn outs and spirited driving.. you will be fine with simply adding new gears and a t-lok to your stock differential.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

so, let me get this straight, I am thinking of upgrading from the 3.31 gears on my 08 GT to the 3.73's. I should be ordering the t-lock and bearings, along with the gears themselves, correct? Should I also order the install kit that is on the drop down at American Muscle? If I order all of these, is there ANYTHING else that needs to be purchased? And, do I then take the car to the Ford dealership to be re-flashed for the speedo to be correct? Any help would be appreciated, as I am seriously considering ordering these soon. I am waiting to get the price tomorrow of what the install will cost. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
JimC

If you have the GT 08droptop, you already have the Tlok. It comes on all the 8.8 rear ends (which is the stock rear end for the GT).

As far as reflashing, you will probably find it cheaper in the long run to buy a SCT tuner and reflash the car yourself. The dealer will probably charge as much as what the handheld will cost you, and you can upgrade to a better intake and tune as well. The gear set up is one of the adjustable options on the SCT.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
Higher gear ration will allow faster acceleration with the sacrifice of having a lower top speed. A Traction Lock (T-lok) will allow power to go to both rear wheels rather than just the rear right wheel.

If you get just the gears without a t-lok, you will probably get no traction at all and will be a useless mod. Getting a t-lok is beneficial for better traction, so it is worth it to get it.

Some people just end up getting a GT take-off 8.8 Rear end because they are stronger, and have gears pre installed in them. Both are an expensive route, but worth it in the end,
Fantastic, thank you That makes perfect sense to me. Getting gears without a T-lok then would be like getting a cold air intake without a tune....a mod whose true potential isn't being fully achieved.

When you say "Higher gear ration will allow faster acceleration with the sacrifice of having a lower top speed."....what do you mean by "with the sacrifice of having a lower top speed? Does that mean that I won't be able to hit 80, 90, 100 mph anymore?

Also, I have the FRPP cold air intake + ProCal tune on my car. I imagine that I will need to reflash the PCM with the new gear ratio when I have the gears changed correct?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

You will probably no be able to go past 120+ anymore, but our driveshaft isn't even rated that high so its no loss at all.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

top speed is irrelevent and shouldnt even be a considered factor.... unless of course you like to run high speed chases with cops on open highways .... sure you lose some top speed with higher gears but how often are you driving 120mph+?.... realistic performance is what your car can do under 100mph.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

So does anyone have any solid evidence of a 7.5 rear end with upgraded gears that has blown. Any general hp rating for our 7.5?

Quick Reply: FRPP 3.73 Gears + T-LOK?