Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New SS Gen I Frt Bumper Cover Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by O'Connor
I have this bumper also and I love the look of it... I really like how aggressive it looks... I personally like how you've painted the bottom of yours black and the side skirts as well... I saw paint the bottom of the rear bumper too... it would definitely tie it all together
Nice, I see you went with the chrome lower grille insert. It makes a nice contrast. How's the quality of the chrome? The black paint was flaking off on a number of spots at the edges before I even mounted it. I'm pretty sure it will end up rusting out in a few years.
The only thing I'm worried about in the back is that the painted lip will make the car look like it is sitting higher than it is from behind. Otherwise I'm ready to do it.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I like it! Can you get a billet lower grille for it?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Nice, I see you went with the chrome lower grille insert. It makes a nice contrast. How's the quality of the chrome? The black paint was flaking off on a number of spots at the edges before I even mounted it. I'm pretty sure it will end up rusting out in a few years.
The only thing I'm worried about in the back is that the painted lip will make the car look like it is sitting higher than it is from behind. Otherwise I'm ready to do it.
The grille is holding up very well... it's my daily driver and it sits outside in the drive way all night... I don't have a garage so it see's all types of weather and it is still holding up well... the paint needs to be touched up because the clear coat on the front center of the bumper is flaking off and there are little pits in the paint but the pits are pretty much in random spots all over the car... but the grille is holding up very well... I plain on getting the Cervini's Ram Air Type IV Hood with Billet Inserts... get the function of both ram air and heat extraction all in one go plus it will look great with this bumper in my opinion
Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by O'Connor
The grille is holding up very well... it's my daily driver and it sits outside in the drive way all night... I don't have a garage so it see's all types of weather and it is still holding up well... the paint needs to be touched up because the clear coat on the front center of the bumper is flaking off and there are little pits in the paint but the pits are pretty much in random spots all over the car... but the grille is holding up very well... I plain on getting the Cervini's Ram Air Type IV Hood with Billet Inserts... get the function of both ram air and heat extraction all in one go plus it will look great with this bumper in my opinion

I wish they powder coated the black on so it would be as tough as the chrome. Unfortunately for the cover itself you can't get the same hardness of the factory clear coat with an aftermarket paint job. If I have to drive my car again this winter I'm going to put the stock hood and bumper back on to avoid the abuse.
Cervini makes excellent stuff. The Ram Air IV was my first choice and I think it will look good as well. I was considering it at first when I ended up buying my hood. A few things made me reconsider going with it and then they sold the last one they brought to the swap meet before I made up my mind. So in the end I I haggled down the CF guy and got a very good deal on it. The two big issues I had with the fiberglass were 1) the weight - it is heavier then the stock aluminum hood and with the six weight savings is especially important for performance; 2) glass needs to be finished and painted adding to the total expense.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by basketballord
I like it! Can you get a billet lower grille for it?
Not that I'm aware of. Know anyone that can make one custom?:-) I'd even like to see a plastic one that matches the factory honeycomb style. I doubt we will see either since there probably isn't a big enough market for them to be able to make them at a reasonable price.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Not that I'm aware of. Know anyone that can make one custom?:-) I'd even like to see a plastic one that matches the factory honeycomb style. I doubt we will see either since there probably isn't a big enough market for them to be able to make them at a reasonable price.
Now a honeycomb style grille for it would be awesome... I just recently ordered the honeycomb Eleanor style grille and if I could throw some matching honeycomb down below it would look great... I would be tempted to put the tri-bar pony emblem on the lower grille instead of the upper grille just to bring that little bit of extra attention to it... lol
Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 AM
The Razor
1st Gear Member

Love the hood!
The front panel looks good, too. I'm thinking about painting my chin spoiler black when I get one. Nice work.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

looking great! i too have the ss gen 1 front. it's about time for a repaint due to rock chips, scrapes, etc. what's a reasonable price for a front fascia repaint?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by harraid5711
looking great! i too have the ss gen 1 front. it's about time for a repaint due to rock chips, scrapes, etc. what's a reasonable price for a front fascia repaint?
I would hope the repaint will be cheaper then the original paint job. Should be less prep and materials needed. Unless it takes a lot of work to sand out the chips and stuff. Labor charges vary and so does paint so you should call around to get an idea. If you remove the cover and drop it off that would probably be cheaper but might not save you that much.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Hey...

Thanks for the info on the Cowl rise. I wasn't sure about that. I like the aggressive look of the hoods that have a rise, but if it's a pain to see or drive... I might just stay away. Mustangs seem to have a lot of blind spots and the last thing that I would want is a blind spot in the front. LOL.

I'll probably just go with the Cervini's Concept Hood. Looks like it doesn't have that high of a rise.

Here's a pic of mine with that same bumper & same rims.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42038785@N02/3876387492/

Quick Reply: New SS Gen I Frt Bumper Cover Pics