Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rust spots on rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

I too agree with aholic, blemishes, rust, dings, all the work of evil.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Overnight? Mine will rust up immediately after I wash it, while I'm drying the car. By the time I pull it back into the garage, the rotors are covered in light rust. But since they're not stainless steel, it's not surprising.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Overnight? Mine will rust up immediately after I wash it, while I'm drying the car. By the time I pull it back into the garage, the rotors are covered in light rust. But since they're not stainless steel, it's not surprising.
Me too...they did it to me the other day when I cleaned the car. I pulled the car into the garage to dry and wax and before I finished drying they all had a little rust on them
Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Hah... OCD.... fark that... I have CDO. It's like OCD but the letters are in THE CORRECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

BTW... most brake rotors on motorcycles are stainless steel. Dunno if anyone makes them as such for cars.... last time I priced one was about four years ago for an older Kawi LTD 750....

One brake rotor: $180

Of course... brake rotors on bikes aren't the same casting type units as on cars... they tend to be machined from the base material. So for cars.... unless a real specialty item (read - EXPENSIVE), I doubt they're readily available.

I have seen CHROMED brake discs on custom bikes too.... and I've thought.... "That's just wrong!".....

Some rust is normal for sure... and of course the longer it sits the more will accumulate. Usually, one or two appications of the brakes clears them just fine. Do expect the brakes to be a little "grabby" during those initial applications.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

If you just look at the brake rotors while holding a bottle of water, rust will form. Seriously, nothing to be concerned about.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
If you just look at the brake rotors while holding a bottle of water, rust will form. Seriously, nothing to be concerned about.
I think I'll try that! *Grabs bottle of Aquafina and heads for the door* lol!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Civil Engineers use certain types of metal that they will actualy put chemicals on the metal to enhance light surface rusting. Believe it or not surface rust that is enhanced like I described or brought on by friction like your brakes, actually prevent rusting.

I know it sounds weird, (my wife is a civil engineer) but if you can develop a light rusting on metal, it prevents the metal from developing deep rust which can hurt the strength of the structure.

Still following me?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

On this topic - is there any way to get the stock rotors nice and shiny - like when I'm detailing it for a show? Will a fine grade steel wool take care of that or would I be screwing up?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY

Still following me?
Sure!

But that kind of makes sense on a certain level...

Quick Reply: Rust spots on rotors