Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dec 09 Car and Driver trashes V6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Dec 09 Car and Driver trashes V6 Mustang

Page 125 of the Dec 09 Car and Driver has a "Short Take" on the Mustang V6 and they trashed it. They compared it with the Camaro and Genesis regarding power, handling, etc. To a certain extent, they are right. Why DO the Camaro and Genesis V6, although are smaller, put out almost 100 more horse than the Mustang?

They said "V6 Accords will walk all over this pony car". They complained about the brakes and rear axle too. Again, I think they have some valid points which I am hoping will be fixed with the 2011. I have the V8 GT but their points apply to that engine as well.

They conclude "..that makes the Mustang a great value to the demographic group that cares only for looks. We are not among it."

Joe
Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Don't pay too much attention to those morons. You have to remember first, they are there to sell magazines. The more they tare one down, the more people will buy the magazine to read it. Second, which one is the easiest to beat one? The Mustang, cause it's been around the longest. The Camaro is new and trendy and so is the genesis. Besides that Ford is doing well and the others, well.... You also have to keep in mind that these test drivers are very miopic in their view. They only see the numbers and nothing else. Even if the Mustang was one HP below the others, they would still trash it. There is more to a car than just the numbers, and that is why Mustang has held it's market for all these years. Let them have their say, but when the sales of the others drop off. we'll have the last laugh. I'll bet the Camaro will only be trendy for the first year, maybe two, and the Genesis, doesn't do anything for me really.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

f the genesis. really a Hyundai sports car? ive seen it all, and it beat a mustang? was the genesis comparable? as in base or the smaller engine options? was it apples to apples i guess im trying to ask.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Out of all those, the genesis is the nicest one, no doubt. Comes with the best,most upgradeable engine, the most hp, the most tq, and the nicest options for less then the premium v6 and the 2lt camaro. A fully loaded track genesis comes in around the same as a base camaro ss or mustang gt, but don't take that lightly. And performance wise, unlike the mustang gt, the v6 mustang is at the bottom of its class. It has the least hp, torque, and just doesn't handle as well as its competitors.

With respect to those, cars, I ordered a 2010 gt and can't be happier, but the v6 model of our car is strictly for mustang fans who care only about looks.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Default 4 Seat Convertible

Well for me the decision was far easier. I wanted a 4 seat convertible. While the BMW 3 Series is classy (and more $$$) I really wanted a more aggressive look. Chevy, Dodge, Hyundai, Nissan don't have an offering for me. Still waiting for my 2010 to be delivered!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

The V6 Mustang is not designed to be a performance car off the showroom floor. It is designed for a particular price point in order to be a high volume seller. It is popular with rental car companies. If it weren't for the sales of the V6, there wouldn't be a GT. If there weren't a GT, there wouldn't be a GT500.

And if you want to mod it, it's a good starting point.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 AM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

Well the V6 is way behind the times, but on the other hand they praise the same rearend in the GT so it is kinda double standards to say they hate the V6 rearend. And the V6 Camaro does trash a V6 Mustang in every way!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

The V6 is actually a darn good car and does what it is supposed to do. Not everyone buys a Mustang to take it to the track or race it on the streets. Some people buy them for the pleasure of having a nice looking sporty car. Some people have to use it as a daily driver and they want an enjoyable car for the driving monotony. To say that it was purchased just for the looks is silly for the simple reason that ALL cars are purchased just for the looks. If Ford made a car that was really really fast and agile but was butt ugly, not even the biggest race enthusiast would buy it. Also, so many GT owners wouldn't put so much money into appearance mods either. Appearance is as big a part of the reason why a person buys a car as anything else.

What a lot of people forget is that the Ford 4.0 is actually a very good motor. I have read many articles that taut the 4.0s power and torque. I read one article where the author put it quite well. The V6 with the proper tunes and adjustments in intake and exhaust can be made to be just as powerful as the V8, therefor Ford chose to tune down the V6 on purpose. Why? Because if you can buy an entry level V6 for much less than a GT and get the same power everyone would do it. You have to make the V6 less attractive in some way so you can sell the higher end, more expensive GT. Like SMiller said, No V6 sales=No GT. Ford could not have enough numbers with the GT alone. The V6 has a lot of nice things to it and can be made 95% like a GT if you really wanted to. Face it, most of the stuff is just bolt ons anyway. The V6 also has the benefit f being a very sturdy engine, which is a good thing in my book. I haven't read the "Car & Driver" article, so I don't know what levels of V6 they compared, but I know that the "Pony Pkg" V6 handles as well as a GT so it is silly to trash it and praise a GT, if they did that. Of coarse if you take an entry level anything, then they all have room for improvement. I have a Pony pkg and I think it handles really well, and has pretty much all the GT handling bolt ons.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 AM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

The magazines can't even compare the performance versions the same. Check out this video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-N6c...eature=related They couldn't get a factory Camaro so they got some custom shops version of a Z/28 to compare. I think the GT500 did awesome. What do you think?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Pretty obvious they are only trashing it because the HP numbers are lower then the rest of the competition, with the genesis and camaro hitting the 300hp mark w/a six banger.

Honestly though, I have seen WAAAY more V-6 Mustangs around town then I have ever seen a GT. For every GT I see, there's like 6-7 Sixxers lol. Someones doing something right!

(-:

Quick Reply: Dec 09 Car and Driver trashes V6 Mustang