Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Center Console Light for Gear Selection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

i SEARCHED THE WORKSHOP MANUAL FROM COVER TO COVER AND NO INDICATION OF BULB TYPE OR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 PM
TSUCKLEY

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
My TCI ratchet shifter changes colors.. You could always upgrade

ohhhh that is sexy!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:02 PM
VocalMike

Default Light issue

I got my Mustang new in 06. From the very beginning I thought it was odd my gear shift indicator wasn't backlit. I contacted a few reputable dealers in my area and they all told me they weren't sure it was supposed to be lit while others flat out said no. Recently I had the plastic covering (boot) on the gear shift bunch up causing the shifter to stick. After taking the entire console apart I found out that underneath the indicator strip was a ribbon light connected to power. After all this time it was meant to be lit! Of course naturally, neither the plastic boot nor light can be purchased regularly at what I estimate would cost between $30-$40 total. So now if I want it fixed, it will cost me about $260 to replace the entire gear box. I'm sure there's a way to tackle this if your'e experienced with interior customization.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

That light strip is illuminated by a single LED. It could be bad.
The shifter can be take apart, but you might not be able to get it back together.

Best bet is to get a used shifter for around $40-60, or a new aftermarket one.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Redrum4

I bought a used 2007 and it doesn't light up its an auto gt convertable premium. I see the red line during daylight but absolutely no light at night it kinda sucks anyone find a fuse or way to repair this?... I've been told its not supposed to light up and another guy says it is ..
So from general info it is supposed to light up right?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
That light strip is illuminated by a single LED. It could be bad.
The shifter can be take apart, but you might not be able to get it back together.

Best bet is to get a used shifter for around $40-60, or a new aftermarket one.
LEDs have such a long life I caNT
SEE ONE OR MANY BURNING OUT
fricken caps lock
within a few years of service...

LED replacement would be a walk in the park for me...
Maybe swap it out for a blue LED? sexy?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Redrum4

I noticed last night I hit a bump (small but enough) the light strip was on for the whole ride home. Went out again it was off.. I am assuming maybe its a lose connection or maybe the previous owner had a street fighter as the rest of the car was built over 10k before trading and I know it had a cai I can see the marks where it was.. And maybe he swapped it and it is loose ill pop it out and see if not the dealer will fix it as its still under warranty
Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 AM
TheAkronite

I too have this problem with my '08. I bought it from a dealership during regular business hours, so I never thought to check that light.

I researched and dug and looked for any information regarding this issue. I had the guy at the part store search. I asked some "knowledgeable" car people, and through it all I got nowhere. That led to me dismantling the entire center consul to try to Get to the bottom of it. I found that it is indeed an LED strip type of setup.

I'm not sure if anything short of replacing the entire gear shifter can be done. I tried just checking the connections, but everything seems to be in order.

Maybe a fuse is blown, but everything else works. I can't imagine a fuse dedicated to just that function. Did anyone ever get this issue resolved? If so, what was your solution?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If it was a fuse, you'd lose a lot more lights or other things.

There is a connector for connecting the led strip to the wiring harness for the shifter. That could be loose or causing an issue. To get to it, you have to remove the console cover (ie, the top-half of the console); the wiring will be under the cup holders area.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:16 PM
susanrainey

I have and am searching for an answer

Quick Reply: Center Console Light for Gear Selection?