Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel System upgrade for Supercharged 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Zak

Default Fuel System upgrade for Supercharged 4.0

Quick question,
I just put a powerdyne supercharger running about 7-8lbs of boost on my 2005 v6. I also added 24lb Ford Racing injectors. However, it just can't seem to get enough gas. When I step down, it lugs hard. But when I bring it up slowly, the power is all there.

Do I need a more robust fuel pump? Or is there some kind of adjustment I can do? Anyone know what my next step is?

Thanks,
Zak
Old 02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zak
Quick question,
I just put a powerdyne supercharger running about 7-8lbs of boost on my 2005 v6. I also added 24lb Ford Racing injectors. However, it just can't seem to get enough gas. When I step down, it lugs hard. But when I bring it up slowly, the power is all there.

Do I need a more robust fuel pump? Or is there some kind of adjustment I can do? Anyone know what my next step is?

Thanks,
Zak
Most 4.0 supercharges require 39lb injectors. What kind of tune are you running? Did you dyno the car after the install?
Does Powerdyne make a kit for the 4.0? I know they make one for the GT

Last edited by GrayPony; 02-27-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Zak

Hmmm buying the wrong injectors could certainly be the problem! I have tried a wide range of custom tunes using a diablo sport programmer. Have not dynoed the car. Powerdyne doesn't make a kit for the 4.0, it's a home-made rig.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I have the x-charger and that kit came with 39lbs injectors.

Originally Posted by Zak
Hmmm buying the wrong injectors could certainly be the problem! I have tried a wide range of custom tunes using a diablo sport programmer. Have not dynoed the car. Powerdyne doesn't make a kit for the 4.0, it's a home-made rig.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Aren't the stock ones like 19 lb/hr? Didn't the powerdyne system come with correctly sized injectors, or did u just buy some yourself?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Zak

Well, like I said, it wasn't a kit. I just bought a powerdyne supercharger and made it work. I bought some injectors that were bigger, but not a lot bigger than stock. Looks like I made the wrong call, should have done more research. I just ordered some Ford Racing 39lb injectors.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

You'll still need a custom tune.

You can't just stick the injectors in.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You need 39 injectors. You are starving your engine for fuel. And without a proper tune, you are begging to destroy the engine!
Get some proper injectors and a proper tune before running it hard, please!

The fuel pump easily handles up to your moderate boost levels. I didn't start running into pump issues until doing over 10 psi, and then doing a wiring upgrade supported my 12+ psi with no problems. But, with 39# injectors and a proper tune.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zak
Well, like I said, it wasn't a kit. I just bought a powerdyne supercharger and made it work. I bought some injectors that were bigger, but not a lot bigger than stock. Looks like I made the wrong call, should have done more research. I just ordered some Ford Racing 39lb injectors.
You need to STOP driving the car, replace the injectors and get the car to a professional tuner for a tune. (That's if you make it that long running it the way it is)
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
You need to STOP driving the car, replace the injectors and get the car to a professional tuner for a tune. (That's if you make it that long running it the way it is)
+1000

Homebrew setup, inadequate injectors, no tune = BOOM

Get this fixed NOW while you still have an engine.

Quick Reply: Fuel System upgrade for Supercharged 4.0