Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To all you V6 racers- a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Pyremind

Default To all you V6 racers- a question

I'm a new owner of a '10 V6 pony. My question is- judging by some of the signatures I've seen here there are a few out there who choose to take a V6 and x-charge/mod the heck out of it for racing at the track.

I'm guessing with X-charge and some mods you can get a V6 up to, what, abit over 300 hp? At the expense of 5k or more? (pulling these numbers out of thin air so by all means correct me those of you that have experience) - after all the engine mods, doesn't cost basically get up to that of a GT? And that's going to sound better and be 300+ hp right out the box.

So I'm not knocking anyone that goes that route (hell, I'm thinking of doing it), but I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it. For me, I just want SPEED, I'm realizing. I thought 210 hp would be enough but I was wrong. :C
Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

You get the loss of weight in the front end. I think the X is better for a road course than a drag platform, but that's just me. I'm trying to build mine up for more of an autocross platform. I'm installing my X tomorrow, so I don't know exactly what the HP gain is, but I think you hit it around ballpark.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
JimC

I bought the car with the V6 because I liked the look better and the difference in performance at the stock level wasn't worth the extra $5,000 for a comparably equipped GT with the only difference being 2 more cylinders and a little better leather seats. Especially when you figure that it will be modded anyway.

So now I have a V6 that will surprise a lot of other drivers, is unique enough that others come up to check it out at the track, and is pretty quick actually. My favorite race is still the one against the Camaro where his buddy called out "no problem it's just a V6 convertible" and not only was he treed but he couldn't run me down - and for some reason they didn't want to talk afterwards or line up again.

If I had the GT I would still have ended up modding it, and I would have nothing unique, just another modded GT.

As far as HP - on the email tune running very rich I only get about 260 RWHP, others are getting more like 280+. To get to 300+ RWHP (not crank HP) takes more; the intercooler may get you there. But dyno numbers are just diagnostic items to help you get the most out of your car. I have beat a lot of other cars that have much bigger RWHP numbers on the dyno - if all you are interested in is comparing dyno sheets and bench racing then it doesn't matter how good a driver you are. A friend readily admits that I have more track time and know my car a lot better than he does so if we were bench racing he will beat me, but when we go to the track he can't catch me even though the dyno sheets show him with a huge RWHP advantage and torque advantage over me.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Pyremind

^Very interesting/informative post Jim. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

A stock GT has 300 crankshaft horsepower. An X-Charged V6 will have a little more at the crank. Probably around 310-320 non-intercooled. The intercooled version will be even more. Personally I like the lines of the V6 better. It is around 130lbs lighter. The center line of the crankshaft and transmission part of the drivetrain is 1-1/4" lower which makes for better autocross and open track handling. It is fun and easy to mod which is easier to get started on because of the savings over a GT.

It does not sound like a V8 and never will but I could care less!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Anything can be made to go fast. I had that in mind when I bought my v6. I modded my old New Edge before it got totaled and never got to the exterior mods. And just seeing all that time and money in upgrades (Dual glasspacks with turndowns, headers, 315's out the rear) going down the drain was just heartbreaking. I knew the massive aftermarket in performance parts were always going to be there (Forced induction, cams, head work, gears, etc), so I really wanted to do exterior mods this time around when I first got her.

Back to the subject, basically it comes down to uniqueness, as JimC is a pure example of that. Oh, and weight. But many could argue over this.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Also the X-Charger is fun and reliable but not the only power adder for the V6. There are guys running turbos that are getting 400+RWHP no problem and when the TVS intercooled version of the X-Charger comes out it should easily hit at least 350RWHP which would approach 400 at the crank similar to what the centrifugal superchargers already get but with a lot more low end torque.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 03-14-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

The 4.0 is less expensive to purchase and also to maintain making it the right choice for me as a daily driver (seeing as it had to be a Mustang). Since money was a concern and some modding was a given the six fit my budget concerns. What I didn't know at the time was how much potential these motors have. The factory tune is somewhat uninspiring though. What you need, make that MUST, do first is get a performance tune (not a canned tune that ship on the flash tuner. Choose one of the packaged deals with a CAI and larger MAF. THis will change the whole personality of your car and end any reservations you have over having not purchased a GT. You will much, much happier with its performance in all driving modes and be ready for any future mods.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

this is posted every month. the same thing could be said for gt owners who could have bought a gt500 or gt500 that should have bought a roush etc etc. point is there is a difference between buying a car that goes fast and building one. also your car insurance company will more than likely charge you the same amount for a v6 mustang with 210 horse power as one with 300++ horse power! =)
Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
this is posted every month. the same thing could be said for gt owners who could have bought a gt500 or gt500 that should have bought a roush etc etc. point is there is a difference between buying a car that goes fast and building one. also your car insurance company will more than likely charge you the same amount for a v6 mustang with 210 horse power as one with 300++ horse power! =)
That was very well put. To the op if I were you I would look for a un-modded 03/04 Cobra for the price of a new 6. Just sayin

Quick Reply: To all you V6 racers- a question