Street lights - Page 2 - MustangForums.com



V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #11
maxshuty
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
maxshuty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Malibu View Post
uhh this kinda happened to me tonight, but I just assumed it was weird timing.

As I recall, I passed the lamp on the highway and saw it flicker off.. thought it was odd, but then another lamp right after that did it too..

Anomaly, probably.. but it could be a combination of timing/city cutting power costs/ghost lights..

Or maybe its all BS..?
Ha so I'm not the only one!
Seriously though tomorrow night I'll try to get a video of it made. It does it 9/10 times I drive through this one road, another road does it around 50% of the time, and the highway random lights shutoff
maxshuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
staggolee
4th Gear Member
 
staggolee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157db View Post
Turning off as you approach them, maybe.
But as you pass by them, NO.
I want video proof or I call BS.
Why is them turning off as he approaches more feasible? Because of his headlights?
staggolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
shnorse
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ny
Posts: 34
Default

when the photoeye sences light it turns the light off.... i suppose if his lights are horribly aimed they could fake the sensors into thinking it is light out and turning them off.

I know my bright flashlight will turn off those solar power lights for sidewalks...
shnorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggolee View Post
Why is them turning off as he approaches more feasible? Because of his headlights?
The street lights are overhead when passing them, and the headlights are pointed to the horizion.
Unless you have headlights that track an object thats 15 feet above you as you approach it and pass it.
The sensors have a time delay so lightning and such dont fool them.
I know of no street light with sensors that react in any less time
than 20 seconds of continous bright light.
Approaching headlights are just not bright enough and as soon
as you get close enough for them to be bright enough, the street
light is no longer in front of you but overhead out of the beam of
the headlights.

Solor Powered lights for sidewalks are instantanious in their operation...
Street lights, NO.

MH and HPS bulbs on the verge of burning out 'cycle' at the rate of
5 min on and 10 min off until they are dead.
They have bi-metallic strips in them that react
to the heat and switch a resistor in and out of circuit dependent
of the heat being produced. MH and HPS bulbs are tricky suckers...

Last edited by 157dB; 04-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!
 
ODDYSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157db View Post
The street lights are overhead when passing them, and the headlights are pointed to the horizion.
Unless you have headlights that track an object thats 15 feet above you as you approach it and pass it.
The sensors have a time delay so lightning and such dont fool them.
I know of no street light with sensors that react in any less time
than 20 seconds of continous bright light.
Approaching headlights are just not bright enough and as soon
as you get close enough for them to be bright enough, the street
light is no longer in front of you but overhead out of the beam of
the headlights.

Solor Powered lights for sidewalks are instantanious in their operation...
Street lights, NO.

MH and HPS bulbs on the verge of burning out 'cycle' at the rate of
5 min on and 10 min off until they are dead.
They have bi-metallic strips in them that react
to the heat and switch a resistor in and out of circuit dependent
of the heat being produced. MH and HPS bulbs are tricky suckers...
157db is closest...
Older street lights will re-act after getting too hot and turn off, they usually do it in order because they come on in order. Newer street lights run more efficient so they don't do this.

Also, street lights still go on timers and will turn off and back on in order. I have seen this myself just sitting someplace and noticing it.

If you want a conspiracy theory (please dont believe it) look up SLI (Street Light Interference) some people believe they emit signals which turn off lights
ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator
 
pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 13,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDYSEY View Post
157db is closest...
Older street lights will re-act after getting too hot and turn off, they usually do it in order because they come on in order. Newer street lights run more efficient so they don't do this.

Also, street lights still go on timers and will turn off and back on in order. I have seen this myself just sitting someplace and noticing it.

If you want a conspiracy theory (please dont believe it) look up SLI (Street Light Interference) some people believe they emit signals which turn off lights
It gets worse at Xmas time, no?
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,322
Default

MIRT
Produce the proper strobe rate and all the lights will turn from red to green for you.
Fire Trucks have this and some foolish people have tried it with great success...
Kits are available on the internet.

Last edited by 157dB; 04-14-2010 at 11:21 AM.
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,731
Default

does that actually work?
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
staggolee
4th Gear Member
 
staggolee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,579
Default

^The question I have is does it change the lights to yellow then red for everybody else?
staggolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
maxshuty
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
maxshuty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,781
Default

I'm trying to get a video together, I'll try to get one by next week of this lol. This weeks weather has been crap and I cant find a camera to use for filming
maxshuty is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confirmed - mid 10 second true street car ctgreddy Street/Strip 13 10-14-2015 09:05 PM
Steedaís Vortech S550 Goes 11.2 on Street Tires in Road Race Trim tj@steeda Steeda Autosports 0 09-16-2015 07:53 PM
Mustang Street Racing Leads to Death of California Man MustangForums Editor Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion 1 09-09-2015 10:30 AM
Tuned Mustangs Battle for Street Racing Cash MustangForums Editor Street/Strip 5 09-08-2015 06:25 PM


Tags
2000, 2005, 2008, blue, coupe, ford, ghost, lights, lites, mustang, street, streetlites, turn

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.