Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Do you drive your stang in the snow?
no, drive another vehicle
37.18%
yes
62.82%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

driving in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 AM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

Dedicated winter tires are a MUST!

I've driven many winters in RWD and RWD Turbo cars without winter tires and they were horrible! Very poor traction all around. Starting, stopping, turning.

This year I buckled down and purchased dedicated snow tires for the stang (General Tire Altimax Arctic) and this is my first real winter. It's a night and day difference. Very good traction, no problems starting on a 15+ Degree incline with traction control off. Braking is not affected and I definitely have control through turns.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by RAT281
I am jealous of you guys who don't know about snow and salted roads
I was born and raised in Illinois, and had to deal with crappy winters, salt, snow, etc.

Now I have lived in Texas for 15 years, and I get upset when I have to drive my Mustang in the rain on occasions

I do NOT miss the snow at all.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jamesgribley
just drive like a normal, responsible person and all will be good
What fantasy are YOU living in???
Old 11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Yes, but I am very careful and don't go out if it's going to be bad. Sticking to major, flat roads also helps
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

drive mine all year round-

Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

That photo makes me want to cry for your cry LOL!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

You guys should have seen my dad's GTCS convertible last year. He wanted to teach me how to "come out of a spin" and how to "control the car" when the conditions are really bad, so we went out to an abandoned theater and did donuts in 4 inches of snow and lots of ice. Alot of fun, and has helped me out 3 or 4 times since then. Anyways, there were mounds of snow stuck to the sides of the car! His car is pretty low, so everything was covered. Not a bit of the rims were visible.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Im getting snow tires-nothing fancy-but also putting 80lbs of salt in my trunk. It will hopefully do the trick. Its gonna be my first winter in this car so I am a bit nervous. But then again Indiana winters aren't USUALLY so horrible. Nothing like farther north.
Im from indiana as well, what area you from?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
I am desperately trying to get a job and trying to get my parents to front me some money, but no go.
Your parents have no idea what kind of mess you got yourself into. I'm surprised they won't even front you money for tires for your own safety as their child. Do they know that you can blow your tire at any given moment and wreck out?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Your parents have no idea what kind of mess you got yourself into. I'm surprised they won't even front you money for tires for your own safety as their child. Do they know that you can blow your tire at any given moment and wreck out?
They do. Me and most people I have told so far are surprised as well. They are not "those" parents at all, but when it comes to my car, they are illogical. My dad knows and would like to, but feels I should be responsible and find the money myself. My mom told me to drive it until the belts show through !

Quick Reply: driving in winter