Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Radio wont turn off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 AM
JoshS197

Question Radio wont turn off!

First of all, this is my first post so hopefully I am doing it correctly.

Ok I have an 08 V6, and I just went out and noticed that even though the car is off, no key in the ignition, and its locked that the radio inside is on somehow. Everything seems to be working fine, but when I lock the car with my remote it normally beeps when its armed, but it wont do that. And when I unlock it with the remote normally the headlights and interior lights come on, but again...it wont.

Only modification i have done is add some LED interior lights about 2 weeks ago using a fuse tap for the power. I used an empty slot in the fuse box in the passenger side of the car and like I said I did this 2 weeks ago and this is the first time Ive had a problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for the help, im stumped!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoshS197
First of all, this is my first post so hopefully I am doing it correctly.

Ok I have an 08 V6, and I just went out and noticed that even though the car is off, no key in the ignition, and its locked that the radio inside is on somehow. Everything seems to be working fine, but when I lock the car with my remote it normally beeps when its armed, but it wont do that. And when I unlock it with the remote normally the headlights and interior lights come on, but again...it wont.

Only modification i have done is add some LED interior lights about 2 weeks ago using a fuse tap for the power. I used an empty slot in the fuse box in the passenger side of the car and like I said I did this 2 weeks ago and this is the first time Ive had a problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for the help, im stumped!
That's normal feature for the radio. It will play for 10 min and will shut off as soon as you open the door to leave the car. I'm going to assume you are testing the alarm while still in the car and that's why its not arming normally and is on the delayed cycle. If not then I have nothing on that.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Read the owners manual and then get back to us...

What flavor of radio do you have?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Assuming that the radio is stock than it is definitely not normal for the radio to be on after the car was locked from the outside.. He said he walked to the car and noticed his radio was on and the car was locked...

That's a weird problem and not something I can even take a stab at right now.. Hmm, try disconneting and reconnecting the battery and see if that helps... Keep us posted though
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Same thing happens to my girlfriends mustang. I never figured out why. It must be a mustang thing. If you figure it out let me know!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Back when my OEM battery was dying, I had my radio go crazy one day on the road (around 45mph) and just stop playing, and all the symbols lit up (then the CD changer started shuffling with no CDs in it, etc).

It only stopped after I changed the battery out. It's well documented that these S197s do some weird *** things when the battery is dying, so if you haven't yet- try changing the battery out.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 PM
JoshS197

Thanks guys but for whatever reason it seems to be okay again. Hard to isolate the problem when it isn't consistent. If it happens again I will do a little more tinkering and see what I can come up with, but for now im just happy that its working right. Such a terrible feeling when your beloved car starts to have an issue or gets a ding! haha

Take care guys
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 PM
JoshS197

Sweet stang, the Halos are sick!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Josh, as mentioned above, this may be a voltage issue as the S197's are very persnikity about proper voltage and the charging systems are barely of marginal quality and capacity. Have the battery and alternator load tested. Many gremlins have been associated with degraded/degrading alternators and/or batteries. The degradation of one often leads to the degradation of the other in this model.

But if that's not the problem, then you may want to check the front passenger carpet by the kickpanel for moisture after the car has sat out in heavy rain.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 AM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoshS197
Thanks guys but for whatever reason it seems to be okay again. Hard to isolate the problem when it isn't consistent. If it happens again I will do a little more tinkering and see what I can come up with, but for now im just happy that its working right. Such a terrible feeling when your beloved car starts to have an issue or gets a ding! haha

Take care guys
It will fix itself everytime. It has happened to my girlfriends car like 5 times already but no damage has been done. Its just awkward when you walk away from your car and lock it and still hear the music blastin haha. I dont think it is a very serious issue. It happens to her like once every few months

Quick Reply: Radio wont turn off!