Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car fails to start with below freezing temps

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Default Car fails to start with below freezing temps

I have an '05 4.0L with 43,000 miles. Drove it through last winter with the same temperatures and had no issues at all. The last three days in a row, I have gotten in my car (low 20's outside) turned the key and it fails to start, it turns over but doesn't start. I turn the key again and it stutters but then starts. Any one have this problem or have any ideas?

I searched the forums but didn't find anything quite related to this.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I have an '05 4.0L with 43,000 miles. Drove it through last winter with the same temperatures and had no issues at all. The last three days in a row, I have gotten in my car (low 20's outside) turned the key and it fails to start, it turns over but doesn't start. I turn the key again and it stutters but then starts. Any one have this problem or have any ideas?

I searched the forums but didn't find anything quite related to this.

Thanks
I'd bet there's only 1 of two ways to fix that.

1. Replace the battery.

or

2. Move to Key West where it doesn't get below freezing.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
shnorse

battery, if it is original, you are long over due...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Don't feel bad. My battery died in the recent cold stretch. Key fob wouldn't even work because it was deep discharged. Still had the original motorcraft battery, so I'll be stopping by autozone real soon.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Funny, I noticed that my car was taking a bit longer to start up in these recent 10-20* mornings. The dealership I bought it from last may gave me a new battery when they sold me the car though.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Funny, I noticed that my car was taking a bit longer to start up in these recent 10-20* mornings. The dealership I bought it from last may gave me a new battery when they sold me the car though.
Or so they told you.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

It is the original. I read in a few other places the batteries were usually to blame but for some reason didn't think it was my problem. Thanks guys
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it's cranking normally (you seemed to indicate it was cranking but not turning over) then it's not the electrical system.

If it's cranking normally (typically cold weather will cause the engine to crank a BIT slower than during warmer temps due to a decrease in the battery's capacity in cold) my first thought goes to ice in the fuel lines. It doesn't take much and if it's just some small ice particules, cranking may be enough to allow fuel to eventually break them up.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Could it be more moisture in the fuel tank than normal? It's not as cold as it has been last winter but I never had problems starting then. Just started a few days ago. Has happened every day so far. Now that I think of it, it's happened every day I've started my car in the morning after my last full tank filling. I wonder if there was more water in this batch of gas. I've never had issues with Shell gas before though
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Every delivery to the same gas station can contain different fuel quality including moisture content. I suspect it's this last tank of gas you got. Fill up elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Car fails to start with below freezing temps