Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Would you buy a former rental car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
timk

i bought my v6 premium convertible for 14k with 35,000 on the odometer and we knew it was bought on auction from a rental company. when something goes wrong, i will replace it with a performance part, but more likely, i will modify the car before anything breaks.

the beauty of a mustang has always been how easy it is to work on. this is my 9th mustang and it doesn't worry me a bit.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
Also know this is why you must be 16 years old to drive a car but 25 years old to rent.
I've been renting cars on trips since I was 21. It costs more, but some companies will rent to you.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Never again. If the car was a rental, avoid it. Repairs will start sooner vs a personally-owned car. For that price, it's not such a good deal.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
sharpshaun91
1st Gear Member

My brother bought a Nissan Altima that was a rental, he's had it for a couple years now and he hasn't had any issues with it. I did think the same thing that most people think about rentals and how people are probably more likely to be a bit rougher on a rental, but like moneyshot said a rental company follows a strict maintenance schedule on their vehicles, because they need there cars to be running the best they can....not good business if they have cars breakin down on them.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

There are plenty of mustangs around. I would keep looking.

I wouldn't take a rental car. There have been too many drivers and passengers that have used the car and most likely the people that have driven it and been in it didn't give a crap about it. Now it doesn't mean that all pre-owned cars are going to be good either, as mustangs are easily abused but there would be a less likely chance that it has seen as many random chance drivers as a rental. I wouldn't buy a pre-owned fleet car of any kind. It's a real roll of the dice.

Either way, if this is your dream car, I would have it checked out first and see what kind of warranty the dealership provides.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
NightMare_12GT
1st Gear Member

i nissan altima is not a ford mustang. two different classes of cars. people get the altima to go from point a to point b. you get a mustang to get there in style with some power.

personally, i thrash every rental car i get. the dodge charger i got definitely got it tougher than the chevy cobalt though
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I bought my daughter's first car from Enterprise Rental Car Sales. It was a 2006 Ford Focus that I purchased in the spring of 2007. Most reputable car rental companies will buy a fleet of cars and keep them well maintained until they reach about 20K miles then sell them for under the Blue Book value. This was true with her Focus.
She kept the car until just last month when she traded it in for a new 2010 Mazda 3. She never had any issues with the Focus. It looked good inside and out.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

It's not necessarily a yes/no answer for me. Generally, you'd have a higher likelihood of getting a car that's been beat, but who knows what a private party seller has done to their car... And if you're seriously into modding, with the intentions of virtually swapping everything out like some have, then I don't see a big issue

Bottom line you better look it over pretty well if you're buying a rental
Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

My GF bought a 2010 previous rental, no issues besides minor wear and tear on the front bumper, scratches on the underside. ect.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. Here's why,

http://blog.caranddriver.com/rental-car-olympics-video/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

First ones the video, seconds the actual article. Just my .02 cents =D

Quick Reply: Would you buy a former rental car?