Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got in a car wreck, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Question Got in a car wreck, need some advice...

I rear ended somebody that decided to slam on their brakes for no aparent reason.

My hood is destroyed, same withe the front bumper, PP grill, radiator is pushed back, and who knows what else as that's all I could see without opening the hood. It's sitting at a Ford bodyshop in Glendale AZ and I'm waiting on a quote, I'll also get one from my adjuster. I sadly have a $1250 deductable so I think I may ask for a check and find a less expensive shop to do the work with some aftermarket parts.

I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what I should do/what parts should I get. I don't have much if any extra spending money.

Any help would be great.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by StreamlineStang
I rear ended somebody that decided to slam on their brakes for no aparent reason.

My hood is destroyed, same withe the front bumper, PP grill, radiator is pushed back, and who knows what else as that's all I could see without opening the hood. It's sitting at a Ford bodyshop in Glendale AZ and I'm waiting on a quote, I'll also get one from my adjuster. I sadly have a $1250 deductable so I think I may ask for a check and find a less expensive shop to do the work with some aftermarket parts.

I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what I should do/what parts should I get. I don't have much if any extra spending money.

Any help would be great.
I know my insurance company would not issue me a check to fix it unless it was under $1000 worth of damage.

Anything over $1000 and they will only write the check to you and the body shop.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
kgrun4
2nd Gear Member

Start looking on ebay for things that are easy to ship like grille, headlights etc. You can also look for a bumper but I'd be careful about having one shipped, especially if it is already painted as when paint cracks on plastic it is bad news bears. If you look for a bumper look to see if they are near you so you can pick it up, gives you a chance to check it out first and save on shipping most likely.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Now would be a good time to do a GT500 front-end conversion.......if you can find the parts reasonable.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I would do a GT500 front end conversion, I've heard of people doing them for $1,200-1,500. Also get a mishimoto radiator and steeda radiator mount to replace yours (they weigh less and are better than stock, drops 40lbs off the front end?). If it's too much do a GT front end. Parts are relatively cheap for that. You can make the wiring for your pony package lights work with the GT lights.

Find out if there is any damage to your engine and transmission.

Quick question, why is your deductible that high?

Whats your age, driving record, and insurance provider?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

OP, with your high deductible, there isn't any room for upgrades without a good amount of money out of your pocket unfortunately.
The GT500 conversion is about $2000 in parts last time I checked, not including the hood.
So that's that.

Since you don't have a lot of cash flow, I'd put that car back to stock with parts from a salvage yard.
Work with the body shop here.
The stock hood retails for $1300 so a used stock one or an nice aftermarket one will be cheaper, thus saving you a little cash.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

With all the problems with the stock hood (aluminum corrosion TSB) he would be better off getting an aftermarket one.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
With all the problems with the stock hood (aluminum corrosion TSB) he would be better off getting an aftermarket one.
I agree with you there.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Now would be a good time to do a GT500 front-end conversion.......if you can find the parts reasonable.

That's what I would link to do, it will depend on how much I can get out of them though. Where/who is the best place to get those parts?

And are these all the parts I'd need since I have a V6?

7R3Z-17D957-APTM ,1, Bumper assembly
7R3Z-17K945-AA, 1, Grille, lower
7R3Z-8200-A, 1, Grille, radiator
7R3Z-8B455-A, 1, Bracket
7R3Z-8B455-B, 1, Bracket
7R3Z-17C861-A, 1, Reinforcement
7R3Z-17C861-B, 1, Reinforcement
7R3Z-17626-AB, 1, Lower valence
7R3Z-17C882-A, 1, FoamIsolator
7R3Z-15200-A, 2, Foglamp
7R3Z-14290-EA, 1, Wiring harness (cut and splice for much cheaper)
7R3Z-8C291-AA, 1, Shield
7R3Z-13008-A, 1, Headlamp
7R3Z-13008-B, 1, Headlamp

Also a hood, suggestions?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I would do a GT500 front end conversion, I've heard of people doing them for $1,200-1,500. Also get a mishimoto radiator and steeda radiator mount to replace yours (they weigh less and are better than stock, drops 40lbs off the front end?). If it's too much do a GT front end. Parts are relatively cheap for that. You can make the wiring for your pony package lights work with the GT lights.

Find out if there is any damage to your engine and transmission.

Quick question, why is your deductible that high?

Whats your age, driving record, and insurance provider?
I'm waiting to hear back about the car and what all is wrong/needs to be replaced. I'm just trying to get a jumpstart.

I have no idea, I didn't know it was that high, my own fault I guess.

25, had a very small fender bender a week shy of 2 years ago, Farmers.

Quick Reply: Got in a car wreck, need some advice...