Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got an 05Stang, any suggestions for mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 PM
amoney92

Default Just got an 05Stang, any suggestions for mods?

Okay I got a pretty basic 05 4.0 silver metallic w/black gt stripes & mustang stripes on the sides. And I want to start doing some mods to it. just wondering where would be the best place to start.
some things i've been looking at are.

1. Lowing eibach pro springs or CAI,
2. Fog lights and halo headlights
3. Rear Window Louvers
4. GT Bumper & GT chin spoiler,

Ps. I'm sorry i don't have pictures yet, every time i've washed it, its rained and i haven't had time to get pictures yet. Working on that thou.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I'd go with performance mods first.
1. SCT tuner from AM
2. CAI
3. Dual exhaust
4. 4.10 gears (auto) 3.73 gears (manual) and LSD
After about a year of research, I came to see that these are the mods that are considered a must for any V6 owner looking to get some decent speed. But if money isn't a problem for you, maybe you can consider a supercharger or a turbo kit. So far, I've gotten the tuner (91 Race tune) and dual exhaust (custom h-pipe and Flowmaster AT) and its already a lot better than stock.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Definitely a CAI & custom tunes first, then your call afterwards.

Quarter window louvers is a great visual mod. I also have rear window louvers and IMO it's a bit much; makes the rear end look too busy. BUT, for me it's functionality over fashion since the rear window louvers significantly reduce heat load and my big, black dog appreciates it. Sequentials are another great visual.

Back to performance, after a CAI & tune, gears are an excellent mod but should be weighed against how you use your vehicle.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

CAI and tune first. I understand you like visual mods (who doesn't) but a CAI with a decent performance tune will leave you smiling every time you get behind the wheel.

After that, it's really your call. I went with dual exhaust then some wheels, but I could have just as easily gone with a new bumper or lowering springs. Congratulations, you decided to buy a car with one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) after market modification possibilities out there; the world is your oyster!

You might want to consider window tint if you don't have it already. I heard Texas gets hot every once in a while haha.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I've seen some rear window louvers on a S197 before and I didn't really like the look of it. Not that they looked bad, but to me it just doesn't really fit the new model's profile like I thought it would. Just a preference thing I guess. They look a lot better on a New Edge, especially on a Mach 1.

Anyway, as far as visual mods go, you have endless possibilities. I plan on getting a hood scoop, side scoops, spoiler, silver stripes, and I'm debating over a polished billet grille combo for my black 2010. I already have my windows tinted and quarter window louvers. The most important thing to remember is that its YOUR car and you need to suit YOUR unique taste. There are so many so-called Mustang fans that are always bashing on the V6 just cuz it doesn't have those 2 more cylinders, DON'T let them bring you down. Just remember, as long as its made by Ford, its a real Mustang. Doesn't matter if it has 4, 6, or 8 cylinders.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
OhioUSMC1
1st Gear Member

First get rid of the rocker "mustang stripes" then get the CAI and tune. If you lower your car IMHO you should also get shocks/struts, lower control arms w/relocation brackets to really take advantage of lowering your car with sport springs.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Depends on your preference, I would go CAI/tune, that is the best value for the price. If you want handling or looks do that afterwards, a tune just awakens these cars.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhioUSMC1
First get rid of the rocker "mustang stripes" then get the CAI and tune.
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only person that truly likes those stripes. It seems as if most cars on here don't have them, and they always look naked to me. But I have my back end blacked out and plan on painting my new Bullitts black, so they work well for me. I just wasn't aware that I am really that much of a minority.

And to the OP, I agree that a CAI and tuner is the way to go for the first mod. I had a "MWHAHAHA!" grin when I first uploaded my 93 Racing tune. With mine being an automatic, it really made a huge difference.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMan1718
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only person that truly likes those stripes. It seems as if most cars on here don't have them, and they always look naked to me. But I have my back end blacked out and plan on painting my new Bullitts black, so they work well for me. I just wasn't aware that I am really that much of a minority.

And to the OP, I agree that a CAI and tuner is the way to go for the first mod. I had a "MWHAHAHA!" grin when I first uploaded my 93 Racing tune. With mine being an automatic, it really made a huge difference.
I don't mind them one bit, I liked them on the 60's mustangs and like them now.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMan1718
You're not alone . I've also noticed that many people state that they've removed theirs or they want to remove them. Sh******t, if anything I'm gonna get some silver ones for my black Stang.

Quick Reply: Just got an 05Stang, any suggestions for mods?