Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #21
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 White Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitious1 View Post
Ohh...ok. Thanks. And how much does it cost to swap out the original 3.31s with 4.10s? Where can you purchase the new rearend too?
Well the best thing to do is to buy an entire new (used) rearend. It is more expensive, but the stock rearend in the V6 is really weak, and does not have positraction. Swapping gears into our 7.5" rearends is really just a waste of money. What most of us do is buy an 8.8" rearend out of a Mustang GT that either already has the gear ratio we want, or we buy one and have a shop put the gears we want in. Typically, buying an 8.8" costs 800-1000 dollars. You can buy them from sites like newtakeoff.com or latemodelrestoration.com, or you can buy one from a junkyard.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2006 Mustang V6 PP | C&L CAI | Bama 93 race tune | 14" Shorty Antenna | Eagle GTs | 18" stripe
GT/CS Front Bumper | Bullit Grille | Hawk HPS pads| Slotted and Drilled Rotors | Strano Swaybars
Prothane Motor Mounts | MMD Hood Struts | 55w 5000K HIDs | Poly Bushings

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
Alec
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar View Post
Well the best thing to do is to buy an entire new (used) rearend. It is more expensive, but the stock rearend in the V6 is really weak, and does not have positraction. Swapping gears into our 7.5" rearends is really just a waste of money. What most of us do is buy an 8.8" rearend out of a Mustang GT that either already has the gear ratio we want, or we buy one and have a shop put the gears we want in. Typically, buying an 8.8" costs 800-1000 dollars. You can buy them from sites like newtakeoff.com or latemodelrestoration.com, or you can buy one from a junkyard.
^^ what he said.

Make sure to also get the 03-04 Cobra pinion flange, which you'll need for it to bolt up
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
^^ what he said.

Make sure to also get the 03-04 Cobra pinion flange, which you'll need for it to bolt up
Ah yes, glad you remembered to say that, lol. It skipped my mind that some sites and junkyards wouldn't already have that installed like NTO does.

2006 Mustang V6 PP | C&L CAI | Bama 93 race tune | 14" Shorty Antenna | Eagle GTs | 18" stripe
GT/CS Front Bumper | Bullit Grille | Hawk HPS pads| Slotted and Drilled Rotors | Strano Swaybars

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Here is a link to the cobra flange pinion

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...a8n75dckvv0qi1

I have heard you can get them a little cheaper in some places, but I haven't found them yet. Also, I believe this site sells the rearends for like 750 instead of upwards of 900 like many places.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Alec
5th Gear Member

Looks like takeoff 8.8s are becoming few and far inbetween as NTO and speedconcepts don't carry them anymore. That's a shame, but I'm glad I snagged mine when I did.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #26
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I wonder if anyone has put a Ford 9" in their Mustangs yet? Search isn't working for me at all, but I bet whatever the extra cost was, it would be worth it.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006,ford,v6-coupe

they do make a ford 9 in 2005-2006 musatngs i saw it not all that long ago in a catalog...tho i cant recall the catelog and im pretty sure speedconcepts can get a 8.8 if u make a call to em

06 turbo v6= 13.2 @105 (rip)

05 kennebell GT= 12.7 at 10 psi
ward_spratlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
aero86
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 v6

ive a question since we are on rear ends..

a year or so ago, a 06 v6 mustang came in that someone had just bought. well, we got it in, and noticed the rear end had jb weld fix and the trailing arm was bent. so we ordered another rear end for it. it was a direct bolt on, but it was 3.55, not 3.31. when did the rear ends get the 3.55 for the v6?
aero86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
Alec
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero86 View Post

a year or so ago, a 06 v6 mustang came in that someone had just bought. well, we got it in, and noticed the rear end had jb weld fix and the trailing arm was bent. so we ordered another rear end for it. it was a direct bolt on, but it was 3.55, not 3.31. when did the rear ends get the 3.55 for the v6?
Pretty sure the 5 speeds were 3.55 and autos 3.31
Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero86 View Post

You are sure that is was a 7.5" for the V6? I wasn't aware that any V6s came with 3.55s, manual or not.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, 2012, gt, latest, mod, modded, mods, mustang, mustang 07, mustang v6, mustangs, package, pony, tech, v6, white