Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Winter Driving a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

If you are running a tune, I suggest removing it. I will be, along with the CAI =(

Already don't have the abs, and tcs. I don't need the extra oomph in a winter wonderland.

Others have mentioned the best suggestions for snow tires, but I will say this, DO NOT store your summer/all seasons just "anywhere" you can find a spot in the garage. Ozone (emitted by motors, generators, anything electric) destroys rubber.

Maybe store them on their side, I stored my summers the opposite way and didn't have problems with flat spots, so I would imagine you would be ok. But peace of mind is nice =)

Store them in water proof coverings, if you get moisture in the tires after they're mounted it can be bad when driving at high speeds so just put them in some wrapping prior to storage.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Jonesy73

I drive my '10 V6 coupe year-round as well. With my set of Blizzaks, it works pretty good in the snow...better than most FWD cars I've driven.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

The gas pedal is your friend in the snow i.e. pedal that thing and remember look where you want to go and your hands will follow. Someone mentioned brakes but I will say I do not use my brakes in a skid/slide. Have fun and keep us posted with your observations.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Benzer

I lucked out. My dad's unemployed and hardly ever leaves his house, so he's letting me borrow his SUV for the winter as long as I give him a ride whenever he needs one. I'll be taking my v6 out whenever it's dry just to give it some exercise. No sense letting it sit all winter.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Take it slow and stay out of the deep stuff and you'll be alright.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
kev152
1st Gear Member

If you are from Western NY (Buffalo area) then I know winter driving can be different there than even in most other northern cities. I grew up in that area, and saw my share of 3-4 foot snowstorms, the 7 feet of snow over Christmas about 10 years ago....6 inches falling in 2 hours a few times a winter...etc. I had a few 1990's RWD camaros and rear wheel drive Pickup trucks driving in that weather.

Bottom line is...try to stay off the roads when a snow storm is in progress, and for the other 1/2 the time when the roads are covered with slush, packed snow, or ice....Get a set of NEW snow tires. If you are paying over $25,000 for a car, then invest the extra $1000 or so for a set of small, cheap wheels and snow tires (don't go with wide ones, go with the narrowest set that will fit.)

When you think about it, it really isn't too much of an investment. Sure, you are paying for the snow tires..but the miles you put on them will be miles you won't be putting on your 'regular' tires, making them last longer, plus if you get a set of cheap rims, you'll keep the salt and slush off of your good rims.

Will a mustang be as good in the snow with snow tires as a FWD or 4wd car is? No, but it will be surprisingly close.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you've never driven a car that's set up and really good in ice and snow, then it's easy to say the Stang isn't so bad. But if you HAVE, then it's more than easy to say how bad the Stang sucks in snow, regardless of tires and weight added.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Winter Driving / bad weather my Mustang:

1) Open Garage Door
2) Drive Mustang into Garage
3) Close Garage door.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 PM
WinstonWolfe

My cars have been daily drivers in Iowa winters for years. It's all about your own confidence and learning to do it right. Take your time, don't be in a rush, control your speed, and most importantly, watch out for the other people on the road. I'm not worried about me- it's the other morons losing control of their vehicles. I'm older though, and learned to drive here when 4 wheel drives were rare and front wheel drive wasn't available. Yeah, the early to mid 70s.

My 2001 Camaro V6 auto was difficult to drive, but I still did OK with it. Just had problems with clearance if my subdivision wasn't plowed. My 2006 Mustang V6 manual is a much easier drive in the snow and ice. No snow tires, but I run the OE 16" polished alloys with 21565R16 tires, which aren't as wide and go well. I've driven with weight in the back and no weight- I prefer weight, especially on icy inclines when starting out. Anti-lock brakes help when you know how to use them in an emergency, but not so much TCS. I've found that almost more of a hindrance than a help. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Or just put snow chains on your front tires.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving a Mustang