Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Convertible Handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 AM
llasov

Default V6 Convertible Handling

I currently own a 2001 BMW CIC (convertible) 5 speed manual transmission. As the car is 11 years old I'm considering purchasing a 2012 Mustang Premium Convertible (6 speed manual).

Will the Mustang handle as well as the Beemer on winding back roads?

Is the Mustang's interior quiet, with the top up, at highway cruising?

I may have been spoiled by the BMW.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! .... might have to do a few mods!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
llasov

Originally Posted by Timspony
Welcome to MF! .... might have to do a few mods!
So, the answer is "no" the Mustang will not handle as well in it's stock form?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
bronxbill
2nd Gear Member

Probably not, I haven't driven a BMW so I can't say for sure.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM
llasov

Default Could Use Some Advice

Sure could use some help here!!

May I assume that the 2012 V6 convertible would handle better than a Camry?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
JimC

Never driven a BMW so can't compare it. But I haven't had any complaints about my 2006 convertible and the 2012 is supposed to be improved.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
cezR6

My 2010 mustang convertible is quieter than the 2005 mustang coupe that I had. I was worried about road noise since I had never had a convertible, but this 10' really surprised me on how quiet it is.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
plumbago

Wow, Hold the phone, I have a 2011 Prem Vert, and I'm here to tell you it handles very very well. It's certainly every bit as good as the coupe and even the PP versions....In case you did not know, the Vert's are slightly heavier, but they also have their own unique tuned suspension.....and they got it right. Its very quiet at highway speed, with the top up, and you can easily carry on a normal conversation or use the sync features...top down, well,sync does'nt work so well at highway speed, but works well in town say 45mph or less. Normal conversations are no problem in either case.....You won't be disapointed......from an old senior, who's been around a lot of nice cars for a long time................best regards Plum
Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Problem with bimmers...their just plain ugly.......!!!! Nuff Said!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Ok, ok. Here is how it is. The Mustang handles pretty well stock. Much better then any non-sports car, but definitely not BMW quality. Not much is needed to make the Mustang ready for some light road racing, though. Basically tires and a swaybar, but you could go way further. If you are really concerned about how they handle, check out our Handling Section and post your question there. We have several racing/suspension experts who will probably be able to provide accurate and true comparisons between cars for you.

As for your question about convertibles, I have driven a handful of various models. My dad owns an 09 GT/CS convertible, and it is not much louder at highway speeds (for us 80+) then my 06 coupe or my mom's Honda Pilot. My neighbor's 04 Accord, my cousin's 01 Sebring convertible, and my friend's 03 Bonneville are all definitely louder then my dad's GT/CS, and I would expect that the 2012 is even better then his. So basically I would say that yes, a new 2012 V6 convertible will be quieter on the road then your 01 bimmer.

Quick Reply: V6 Convertible Handling