Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

rear differential dying...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
aaronwixner

Smile

GREAT NEWS. Its covered under a 5 year 60000 mile warranty from ford. the car is an 07 but wasnt bought until may of 07. So i have 3 months 3000 miles left ITS COVERED! I tried to ask the dealer if i could pay whatever the extra is to put a limited slip differential in. They said i couldnt it has to be oem parts. Still its 100% covered so im not complaining
Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by djoneill
Find your local mustang speed shop and call them. Then come back here and tell us what they say. Tell us your location and maybe we can help you out.

I put a new rear end in 2006 v6.
Sine the OP already got his answers this isn't technically a thread jack....soooo...I'm looking at doing this myself sometime soon. i already purchased a takeoff 8.8 w/4.10s. How difficult would you say the install was? I'm tempted to just pay to get it done if I can't do it myself.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
JimC

Topless - the actual installation isn't tough because it is simply unbolting and bolting things up. But the rear ends are heavy so you need some help and a jack would be a good idea as well to help hold it up in place while you are bolting it in.

The flange swap is critical - need to get the preload correct. I took it to a shop to have them do mine, and since it was there already I asked how much to just go ahead and swap it for me. For $75 it was worth having them do it, and my wife felt much better about me not crawling around under the car with a heavy piece of metal over my head.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
If you can find one go for the 8.8 out of a GT.
I'm pulling my 28 spline axle, 3.31 gears and LSD (Upgrading to a 31 spline, 3.73 gears and a carbon LSD). Let me know, OP or anyone else in the thread, if you are interested. It'd ship from Syracuse.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Topless - the actual installation isn't tough because it is simply unbolting and bolting things up. But the rear ends are heavy so you need some help and a jack would be a good idea as well to help hold it up in place while you are bolting it in.

The flange swap is critical - need to get the preload correct. I took it to a shop to have them do mine, and since it was there already I asked how much to just go ahead and swap it for me. For $75 it was worth having them do it, and my wife felt much better about me not crawling around under the car with a heavy piece of metal over my head.
Thanks for the response Jim. I don't have a way to get it to a shop without renting a truck. You are speaking of the cobra pinion flange? If so It was supposed to come with that already installed. The only thing I would have to do besides the bolt up is to load it up with fluid since they ship dry. I bought i from Blue Corral last year.

Also,
would it be worth it to wait to do the install until I bought a new 1pc driveshaft and safety loop?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM
JimC

With the flange already mounted you have the most sensitive part of the swap done then. If you are putting a new driveshaft on as well, might as well do it all at the same time since you will be unbolting the driveshaft anyway with the swap.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaronwixner
GREAT NEWS. Its covered under a 5 year 60000 mile warranty from ford. the car is an 07 but wasnt bought until may of 07. So i have 3 months 3000 miles left ITS COVERED! I tried to ask the dealer if i could pay whatever the extra is to put a limited slip differential in. They said i couldnt it has to be oem parts. Still its 100% covered so im not complaining
OEM parts? Doesn't Ford make a limited slip differential??? Heck why not tell them you want a GT rear end?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
With the flange already mounted you have the most sensitive part of the swap done then. If you are putting a new driveshaft on as well, might as well do it all at the same time since you will be unbolting the driveshaft anyway with the swap.
Thanks for the added info Jim! Parts are piling up in my garage lol....I've had the rear end since last year, so waiting until I pony up for the 1pc shaft won't be a big deal. I'm sure when I get ready to do that I'll have a million questions.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
OEM parts? Doesn't Ford make a limited slip differential??? Heck why not tell them you want a GT rear end?
It's a 7.5 Diff, so it's getting the same one because that's what it came with in the first place.
Warranty doesn't care what you want. It only wants the old part back and it better be OEM :P
But if he knew someone that worked at that dealership, he would ask for an upgrade and pay the rest for what the 8.8 is worth.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

IHe pulled the magnetic bolt that holds the oil in and it was covered in grit from the gears wearing on each other.
Get a new mechanic.
The rear end does not have a drain plug.
If it did have one, it would not be magnetic OEM.
Did you actually watch him pull the plug firsthand
with your own two eyes and keep them on the plug
until the time he showed it to you?
Slight of hand is a mother forker most can master.

also please bear with me,
I'm not the most technically oriented person, so forgive
me if i wrote anything confusing about the mechanical
problems.
It seems he keeps a magnetic drain plug with grit on it in
his toolbox for people like you who believe everything they see...

My diff made noise at 20K. It was underfilled from the factory
as are most S197s.
I pulled the rear cover (the only way of draining it), reinstalled
the rear cover and refilled the rear diff with AMSOIL 75W-140
gear lube to the proper level (bottom of the fill hole).
The noise went away and has not reappeared since.
These rear ends are tougher than one might think.
A simple refill with 2 quarts of 75W-140 AMSOIL could be your
cheap and proper fix. Its worth a go.

Quick Reply: rear differential dying...