Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune or no Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
tomcat8692

Default Tune or no Tune?

Ive had my 2006 V6 mustang for almost a year now and the only mod i have done is a GT takeoff muffler. I have always wanted to put a CAI on and give it a 91 octane race tune. however my dad says that a tune can really screw up a cars computer. can anyone disprove his theory that a tune is bad for a car and doesn't do anything for it?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

About everyone on this forum could disprove him wrong, not trying to argue, but a tune is not going to hurt the computer one single bit.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
About everyone on this forum could disprove him wrong, not trying to argue, but a tune is not going to hurt the computer one single bit.
^^ this. Along as it's not an overly aggressive tune you'll be fine. Bama specifically tests the tunes on the dyno to make sure they're safe. There's a poll around here somewhere and I believe it was 75%+ that was running a tune

Last edited by Alec; 05-21-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I ran a poll not too long ago and roughly 75% of the (active) forum members are running a non-stock tune.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

YES, get a custom tune!! You won't be dissapointed!!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
You don't need to argue. :P A tune will hurt the drivetrain, etc... FACT
How much boost do you want?
Depends on the tuner.

Practice safe Tunning kids :P
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tomcat8692
Ive had my 2006 V6 mustang for almost a year now and the only mod i have done is a GT takeoff muffler. I have always wanted to put a CAI on and give it a 91 octane race tune. however my dad says that a tune can really screw up a cars computer. can anyone disprove his theory that a tune is bad for a car and doesn't do anything for it?
A tune is simply rewriting the logic to the engine computer, basically, it slightly alters the air to fuel ratio, and timing/spark to achieve a few more HP. Also alters the shift points of the automatic and quickens up the shift time to give you firmer shifts much more in tune with your power band.

None of this is enough to cause more stress/shear on your car's engine or drivetrain what so ever. Maybe a supercharger or something adding a good 100-200 more hp/tq would do that, but a tune is at most a 20hp gain (similar tq).

I'm not sure what your father is worried about hurting the car? Could you get him to be more specific? The most dangerous part of a tune (IMO) is your speed limiter and rev limiter (in park/neutral) are removed. So a very stupid owner could (theoretically) float a valve by revving too hard in a parking lot, or possibly pop a u-joint and ruin the driveshaft by going 130+mph. But if you have a level head and are not brain dead, none of those scenarios need worry you.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
The most dangerous part of a tune (IMO) is your speed limiter and rev limiter (in park/neutral) are removed. So a very stupid owner could (theoretically) float a valve by revving too hard in a parking lot, or possibly pop a u-joint and ruin the driveshaft by going 130+mph. But if you have a level head and are not brain dead, none of those scenarios need worry you.
This isn't strictly accurate. Speed and rev limits *could* be changed, but this depends on where/who you get your tune from. It's an optional choice by the tuner when the tune is being created. For instance, with the Pre-American Muscle Bamachips tunes, Doug would not remove the speed limiter unless it was verified to him there was an aftermarket driveshaft in the car.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

A tuner will do no harm, only improve gas mileage, performance, and driving experience. A good game plan is to have at least a catback/dual exhaust, under drive pulleys, and a CAI. Take it to a dyno shop and have them (as they always do) inspect the car mechanically and give you dyno tunes. They'll charge you same price for a hand held tuner and usually $100-$200 for the dyno tunes. That's the best way to go.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robb15033
A tuner will ... improve gas mileage...
Wrong, unless you get an economy tune which is basis for having your man-card taken away.

A good tune will increase performance and NOT reduce fuel mileage unless you're really putting your foot into it. Very, very few people report better gas mileage and I'll put money on the fact that they make that statement based on a very limited # of before and after data and without consideration of all the variables that readily skew that data.

But as far as the OP's original question which I may have already answered above, there have been very rare occurences where someone has bricked their PCM by doing something wrong. However, many folks will change tunes frequently (for awhile I was experimenting between my 3 custom tunes and was changing tunes 3 - 6 times per day over a 1 week period) and don't think twice about harming the PCM.

Quick Reply: Tune or no Tune?