Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Mike1Six

Vehicle: 2014, Ford Mustang, V6 Premium
Default Tire Help for 2014 Stock 17s?

I just purchased a 2014 Mustang V6 last weekend. I love the car, but it's got somethings that need to get worked out.

First things first and that is going to be the tires and tightening up the suspension maybe some exterior mods. The stock tires have got to go! The tire size is 215/65R17. I want wider tires with a lower profile that will give better grip and handling and in the end not feel like they are soaked in water.

I am not sure what the wheel size is I'm assuming either 17x8 or 17x 7.5. The tire and wheels look pretty wimpy from the rear.

Can anyone recommend a tire that meets the following criteria and would fit the stock wheels: P225(wider?)/55(50 or lower?)(Z)R17??

-More aggressive look
-Lower Profile
-Wider Tire
-Better Handling
-Better Road feel

I attached a picture to get a better sense of the wheel and tire size.

18" or 19" wheels are out of the question at this point. My wife is still in sticker shock on the car . Thanks for the help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stang.jpg (51.5 KB, 2 views)
Mike1Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Siber Express
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6 MCA Performance Package, Comfort Package, Securtity Package and Electronics Package

They are actually 17X7.

Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Mike1Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
They are actually 17X7.
My stomach just sunk a little.... Explains the wimpy look.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Mike1Six

That's was actually a little bit helpful... It appears 235/55R-17 's may fit the wheels. Has anyone ran with this size on the stock wheel?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 V6

You will need a new tune to fix the transmission after changing the overall diameter/drive ratio. Your speedo will be off and your tranny will shift early.
Murgatroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

Simply putting a lower profile tire on will increase the wheel well gap and look too small and donuty and as mentioned by Murgatroy your wheels will be spinning a faster speed than normal. If you're intent on a lower profile and wider tire you may need to sit the wife down, tell her how it's gonna be, then go on American Muscle and buy a 18 or 19" wheel and tire pkg.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is “I have no interest in cars”. If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away" - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by mph07alloy; 05-22-2013 at 10:44 PM.
mph07alloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, V6, PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1Six View Post
That's was actually a little bit helpful... It appears 235/55R-17 's may fit the wheels. Has anyone ran with this size on the stock wheel?
They'll fit I'm sure, but not without consequences. I remember reading on the forum that wider tires on a smaller rim can sometimes lead to excessive sidewall flex, so the tradeoff might not be worth it if handling and body roll are important factors in your consideration.

For some reference I run a 255/45/R18 on an 8.5 and I can tell you that I would rather not run anything larger than that without upgrading to a 9" rim. As far as speedo corrections, my factory speedo calibration was off by like 2-3 mph anyway, and after changing my wheels/tires I never saw a noticeable change in error margin as my overall diameter didn't really change a significant amount.

If it was my car, I would save the money as 235s are just as wimpy looking as stock rubber (trust me, mine came with them) and put that money towards a new wheel/tire package with something around or bigger than 245s. American Muscle has some nice options in that category.

Steeda CAI, 91 tune, GT axle-backs w/ H-pipe, P/P stock TB. Dinosaurs!

Last edited by aaquib1992; 05-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.
aaquib1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement