Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ok, if you upgraded your gears are you happy now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by THS_Steed06
That may be the best explanation of NOS I've seen, thanks! I think gears are definitely the way to go.
Noooooo... not the "NAWZZ".... NOS = A brand, too much fast and the furious for you.... I would def. go with an 8.8 as you will break that 7.5 over time, also good luck with that T5 its next to go after the 7.5
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
It's been about a little over a year since I bought my 8.8". If you found a $300 axle, I would have ran to the bank and bought it immediately. That is a good deal, I would say.

Then again, that may be the current price of them. I'm just judging on how much I paid.

I will also say that you won't be able to enjoy your nitrous all the time. With gears, they are there all the time when you step on the gas.
Let me say that I am almost a complete idiot when it comes to how to swap the rear axle. I found some priced from $300-500 but Im sure there are more parts needed for the install, I also have no idea which rear ends beyond 05-09GTs would actually work. I'd need to research this more.

Your price was probably a reflection of my missing info.

Tom
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Noooooo... not the "NAWZZ".... NOS = A brand, too much fast and the furious for you.... I would def. go with an 8.8 as you will break that 7.5 over time, also good luck with that T5 its next to go after the 7.5
Hi Refire,

Thanks for your thoughts here. I'm shying away from Nitrous right now and leaning toward just doing the gears/rear end properly. What transmission are you using with 350+hp? I heard under 300 the T5 can hold up.

Tom
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Let me say that I am almost a complete idiot when it comes to how to swap the rear axle. I found some priced from $300-500 but Im sure there are more parts needed for the install, I also have no idea which rear ends beyond 05-09GTs would actually work. I'd need to research this more.

Your price was probably a reflection of my missing info.

Tom
I never claimed I was good at these installs either. I would have no clue on what to do aside from removing and installing a new one. I would never want to install gears, just from fear of messing up.

When I bought mine, I also bought the bearings, tlok and gears all new just to make it a "brand new" axle. If you can find a complete 8.8" for that price and replace everything, I would go for it.

I'm pretty sure that all of the 8.8" rears ('05-'14 GT's & '11-'14 V6's) fit the '05-'09 sixxers. You would just need that cobra flange to fit the driveshaft.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM
JimC

You can only use a rear end from a Mustang from 2005 forward. You can't try one from any other vehicle. People have bought them from Explorers, Fox bodies, etc without realizing that you need to get it for the Mustang.

If the rear end comes from a 2005-10 model year then you need to swap the pinion flange with a cobra flange (you can get one from American Muscle) so that your V6 driveshaft will mount to it.

If you can get a rear end from a 2011+ Mustang, then it is a direct swap because the pinion flange is already set up for the V6 driveshaft.

So depending upon the year, the only part you need other than the rear end might be the pinion flange. The mounting is all the same from a V6 right through the GT500.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
I never claimed I was good at these installs either. I would have no clue on what to do aside from removing and installing a new one. I would never want to install gears, just from fear of messing up.

When I bought mine, I also bought the bearings, tlok and gears all new just to make it a "brand new" axle. If you can find a complete 8.8" for that price and replace everything, I would go for it.

I'm pretty sure that all of the 8.8" rears ('05-'14 GT's & '11-'14 V6's) fit the '05-'09 sixxers. You would just need that cobra flange to fit the driveshaft.
This one would be perfect if it wasn't $1k before shipping...
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=151126572479
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Hi Refire,

Thanks for your thoughts here. I'm shying away from Nitrous right now and leaning toward just doing the gears/rear end properly. What transmission are you using with 350+hp? I heard under 300 the T5 can hold up.

Tom
I am using the TR-3650 with a Spec 3+ clutch. The weakest point on the T5 in these cars is going into 3rd, you may have issues with the stock clutch before you break the transmission though.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
You can only use a rear end from a Mustang from 2005 forward. You can't try one from any other vehicle. People have bought them from Explorers, Fox bodies, etc without realizing that you need to get it for the Mustang.

If the rear end comes from a 2005-10 model year then you need to swap the pinion flange with a cobra flange (you can get one from American Muscle) so that your V6 driveshaft will mount to it.

If you can get a rear end from a 2011+ Mustang, then it is a direct swap because the pinion flange is already set up for the V6 driveshaft.

So depending upon the year, the only part you need other than the rear end might be the pinion flange. The mounting is all the same from a V6 right through the GT500.
Ok Jim, got it. Thanks for the info. If I'm lucky I can get the rear sway bar as part of the axle too. I'm going to see what some of the local bone yards can offer so I can save on the shipping. I'm thinking as long as the donor car had 50k miles or less then the rear end should be decent, maybe I won't even need to rebuild it since my car has 52k on it now.

Tom
Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

lQUOTE=2005Redfire6;8285517]I[/url] am using the TR-3650 with a Spec 3+ clutch. The weakest point on the T5 in these cars is going into 3rd, you may have issues with the stock clutch before you break the transmission though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Redfire. That's a robust tranny must have cost you a bunch to install.

I thought my 3rd gear problem would be solved by a Steeda shifter, right now when you wind her out you gotta slam that stock shifter to grab 3rd. I was considering this one as it seems to get good reviews:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...t-shifter.html

I've never driven a sixer or Gt with this kit, but Steeda has a good reputation for quality parts. As for clutches, yes I'm sure I'll start to have clutch issues but the car has 52K now so I'm somewhat expecting it anyway.

Tom

Last edited by THS_Steed06; 09-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Ok Jim, got it. Thanks for the info. If I'm lucky I can get the rear sway bar as part of the axle too. I'm going to see what some of the local bone yards can offer so I can save on the shipping. I'm thinking as long as the donor car had 50k miles or less then the rear end should be decent, maybe I won't even need to rebuild it since my car has 52k on it now.

Tom
Good luck with your search! I could never find out out of a junkyard for a reasonable price. Even if the donor car has 50k miles, you don't know how the rear end was treated. You should get the rebuild kit for peace of mind. Just my 2 cents. I bought this one in case you're wondering.

When I bought mine I had a forum member here suggest I paint the axle. I thought it looked pretty good, and figured I'd throw the suggestion to you. Makes the car look cleaner underneath. Though nobody will probably ever see mine, it's just there for me to know.

BEFORE

DURING

INSTALLED

Quick Reply: Ok, if you upgraded your gears are you happy now?