Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuner for stock V6, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Airslot

Default Tuner for stock V6, worth it?

First, thanks for having me to this great resource. My first car was a '67 Fast Back 289 3-speed. I'd still have it if my brother didn't total it, without permission to drive it. Dad stopped me from totaling him, but that was all 30 years ago....

Just picked up a base '12 vert auto with the V6. I drive about 37k miles per year, so I'm not gonna go crazy with the mods.

Can a good tune improve drive-ability as well as the fun factor? It just seems like there is a lot of meat left on the bone as far as stock performance goes, at least on the bottom end. I'm pretty sure my wife's Kia Optima SXL can take me from 0-40 or so. It seems there is a lot of off the line torque management in play as it doesn't like to break the tires loose at all.

Thanks for the opinions.

'slot
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

It made a heck of a difference in my car. It will smoke 'em on take off and EASILY squall the tires when shifting from first to second and that's with an auto trans, although it does slam the gears pretty hard when you are getting on it. The tune changes the shift points on the trans also.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Yes, better off the line and improvement across the power band.
BTW I drive almost the same a year and still put headers, true X-Pipe and A/B on mine, the biggest gain was from the short tube headers, low to mid range torque is up a bunch.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Airslot

Thanks for the feedback. I guess its time to start shopping / modding
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I would at least get an aftermarket CAI also as it will help a lot with a good tune. Steeda makes a really nice CAI.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
I would at least get an aftermarket CAI also as it will help a lot with a good tune. Steeda makes a really nice CAI.
Meh the difference is still minimal with the aftermarket CAI. Tune is what does 90% of the change!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM
need4speed
Former Sponsor

You will love your aftermarket tune and intake combo. At first when i got my set i didnt think it did all that much. But after driving around for a bit and then removing the tune to see how it would feel like, it was a night and day difference, I couldn't drive my car without the tune anymore. Plus the Intake makes a stang sound really nice.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Worth it? : Y E S !!!
Better power, better mpg if you can stay off the gas pedal!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I have just the "canned" SCT tunes for now. I can tell the difference, waiting for a custom tune from motorvationefi to help my auto tranny.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Airslot

Thanks. I'm going to end up getting the tune first. Seems to be a logical first step. I don't think the CAI intake is that big a factor with the possible exception being at WOT, which I don't spend much time at. I "may" end looking at Axle Backs though. I was too interested until the last two days. You see, its Cruise In week here in OC MD. I think I'm the only car in town with stock pipes

Quick Reply: Tuner for stock V6, worth it?