Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driver's side floor wet

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Burnhaven

Default Driver's side floor wet

This car just wasn't meant to sit outside apparently. Love my 2006 coupe but I"m ordering a waterproof car cover since I can't garage it. Videos show how to remove the cowl on the passenger's side and replace the cabin air filter. Along with this is cleaning out the firewall "channel" and pulling out the rubber drain plug. Some seem to pull it out from "below" in the engine bay and then just never replace it.

On the driver's side it would be more difficult since the wiper arms have to come off, so tempted to pull the drain plug from below in the engine compartment and just leave it out. Otherwise I'd probably have the dealer handle that side - I just don't want to deal with pulling the wiper arms etc outside when it's 35 degrees. Since my driver's floor, the floor behind the driver and the driver's seat belt have all gotten wet, I might also have the dealer replace the weather stripping over the driver's window.

The dealer quoted me $250 for "diagnosis of leak" but I'm hoping that if I just tell them where and what to fix they won't have to charge me for diagnosis.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Seems like you are on top of the causes of the passenger wet floor board. Please keep us posted on your costs and if the Smart Junction Box has been damaged.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Burnhaven

Everything electrical still works. Where is the smart junction box?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:11 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burnhaven
Everything electrical still works. Where is the smart junction box?
There should be a black box on the passengers side.

I have to keep my car outside too. Not happy about it but I have been using car covers on it since I bought it new in 2006. Hopefully I can get my business sold so I can put my car in the garage.
BTW, the car covers that I have used are not waterproof. However they have been exceptionally great at keeping dirt, dust, sun damage, bird doo and sap off of my baby. Never noticed any water getting in.
When you put it on, you need to make sure your car is clean and free of any dirt each time you use it or else stuff will get embedded in the cover. I use a microfiber cloth and McGuier's detailing spray or sometimes just my California Duster.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Burnhaven

I pulled out the rubber drain plugs/flapper valves on both sides and no water came out. There were a lot of pine needles in the valves. Going to leave those out for now.
There is no evidence of moisture up under the glove box or above the brake pedal area.

With evidence of water on the floor under the driver's feet, the floor behind the driver and the driver's seat belt, it's sounding more like a driver's window area leak so I'm doing some silicone work there, plus keeping the car covered. If that doesn't do it I'll take it in to have the weather strip above the driver's window replaced.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:23 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

SORRY, just noticed you said drivers side. The SJB is on the passenger side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Sandy. Here is a photo I found, just ignore the red arrow. If I remember correctly, rear tail lights not working correctly is the first sign of a bad SJB

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 12-31-2016 at 10:26 PM.