Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Choosing a new tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

I need some quick help. I have a new set of 19 inch Saleen wheels that I need tires for the fronts are 9 inches wide and the rear are 10 inches wide what size tire do you think i should run? and do you have any suggestions for what brand might be good that wont put a huge dent in my wallet.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Martynas
1st Gear Member

Sorry if my question here is out of topic. But in Europe no catalogues have ford mustang wheels listed.

Maybe anybody know other cars which OEM have 5x 114,3mm bolt distance. Also does the size of central hole matters and what it should be for mustang 2010's?

I know one which has the same nissan 350z

Any other?

Thnks
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Redfire_07
I need some quick help. I have a new set of 19 inch Saleen wheels that I need tires for the fronts are 9 inches wide and the rear are 10 inches wide what size tire do you think i should run? and do you have any suggestions for what brand might be good that wont put a huge dent in my wallet.
Typical size for 9" wheel are between 245's~275's
Typical size for 10" wheel are between 265's~305's

Everything one needs to know is asked at the very beginning of this thread and the "key" to your decision is written in bold RED

Without knowing these items, no one answer your question. Go through the Tire Decision Guide and will be of great help to you.

Jazzer
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Martynas
Sorry if my question here is out of topic. But in Europe no catalogues have ford mustang wheels listed.

Maybe anybody know other cars which OEM have 5x 114,3mm bolt distance. Also does the size of central hole matters and what it should be for mustang 2010's?

I know one which has the same nissan 350z

Any other?

Thnks
I do not know the center hole bore size, but will not be an issue if you purchase wheels meant for your year. If you are looking for wheels meant for another make/model, it would be best to pull one of YOUR wheels and measure the size. Ask the size of the bore on the wheels you are looking to purchase and confirm it is the same or larger.

Jazzer
Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 PM
waynek1014

Default Widest on an 04 Cobra?

I read the tire guide in the beginning of this thread and it has helped me greatly. But I'm still stuck as to what the widest tire I can fit on my 04 cobra without any issues. I know I need 18 x 9 in the front and since I don't want to run staggered, what is the largest I can run in the front? I personally know someone who has 295/35 r18's with FR500's all around without any work but I don't see how that can be when I do the math. I would like to go 285 in the front but don't want any issues. The other issue is that my car has been dropped as well by the previous owner and since the springs are blue I'm figuring that its either BBK and or Steeda so it is 1'' in the front and 1.25'' in the back. I hope someone can help I'm going nuts trying to get the right size. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would ask you the size of wheel this person in which a 295/35/18" tire is run.

I would be willing to bet it is on a 9" wheel and a VERY poor fit (serious bulge happening!). A 275 is max fitment on such a wheel and is still a bit too much, IMO, although approved by nearly all manufacturers. If this is the case, than it fits because he is not getting the full contact patch that this tire can deliver, as the sidewalls are pulled up and around the edge . The front struts are gonna be the issue with going such a wide tire on a properly sized wheel and would be at least a 10" one. Without serious mods to suspension, or lots of work to fender, such a wheel/tire combo is just not gonna fit.

My recommendation would be a 9" wheel with a max width tire of 275 (less if you are into open-track/AX or twisties). This is gonna bulge a bit on most brands and even rub a bit in most cases. Nothing major, in terms of rubbing, but would particularly check the fender lip at 9:00 & 3:00 positions for the tabs that protrude toward the tires. These sections will get CLOSER to the tire, when it is in motion and at greater suspension compression.

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 01-06-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM
waynek1014

Default I see

Yeah the rim is a 9'' on my friends car. I have no idea how he does it. I suppose then I'll go with the 275's. Since I suppose I can get a 18x10 in the rear should I do that? The reason i don't want to go staggered is because when I did on my last cobra at high speeds the back tires would catch grooves and changes in the road before the front sometimes causing a a slight shimmy. Its a little unnerving at over 100 just trying to avoid that. The tires I'm hooked on are the BF g-sport KDW2's and can't wait.

Also on a side note Jazzer those wheels look awesome on your car I know you must have had to modify a lot to make them work but damn they look good, I wish Ford just engineered that in from the beginning.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks Yes... I have done serious modifications to make the fronts fit, but nothing more than a bit of MC Hammer and Sister Sledge out back.

Going staggered is not the reason you are tramlining (what you experienced is actually called), it is simply due to wider wheels/tires. I run a set of 10"s & 11"s on race suspension and tires. I can tell you a thing or 1000 about tramlining!

I think this person running the 295's is making a mistake and would ask you to ask him to reconsider running this tire on a 9" wheel. My Choosing thread has a good description of why this is an issue and is NOT getting the benefit of such a tire anyway. It looks fat, but is sloppy and, to some degree, unsafe.

Jazzer
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
No exact science here, but generally tell by looking at thow the tire "fits" the wheel. If he has a 215/60 tire, I would expect this to be a 7" wheel with the tire appprox. 1/4~1/2" wider than the outside edge.

HTH

Jazzer
Jazzer, thanks for a great thread. I'm trying to pick a rim for my 66 mustang, I settled on 225/50R16s as the tire size that fits the car, but do I go with a 7" or 8" rim?

The section width of the tire is 8.86". I was thinking 8 but I see a lot of people are using this size tire on a 7.

If I stepped up to a bigger rim, 225/45R17, would the rim width still be the same as the 16" recommendation?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Your welcome

I am not hip to what works well on ol' skool Stangs I recommend you hit up the Classics section where all them pepes hang out. They will be able to give you MUCH more info that will be of help. I am well versed in SN95's and a little of the Fox Body and S197's.

Good luck and post up some pics and info in the customer rides thread in this section when done. This comes up occasionally and good for pepes to get pics and specs info.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Choosing a new tire