Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Wheel sticks out wheel well [Help]

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM
n406c

Default Wheel sticks out wheel well [Help]

I have cruzin concepts saleen replica rims that have a large backspacing (I dont know how big but they are really big). The front tires (18x9) fit almost perfect in the well but the rear (18x10) sticks out the wheel well about 1 inch & a half to 2 inches. on each side. What could I do to get rid of that. My buddy is a mechanic and he said that if I lower the car then the negative camber will fix it. I'm not to sure about that but if thats the case I need a lowering kit anyways. I would appreciate any input on the matter.

Thanks,

Chris Lazau
Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Welcome to MF's, Chris

Sounds like you have purchased a set of '99~'04 wheels for your S197 ride Although, the off-set difference is only about 5/8", I think you may be exaggerating just a tad

Can you give us some pics and a link to the wheels you purchased?

Jazzer

PS. Your buddy is smoking some baaaaaaaaaaaaad stuff Negative camber is not going to give you anywhere near that much change in angle and certainly not on the rear. You have a solid-axle out back and the wheels will stay perpendicular to the road reguardless of how far you lower it.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
n406c

Well I bought my wheels through my local discount tire so I cant link em. The rear wheel does stick out the well about an inch and a half. Looks a little goofy to me idk.

I'll try and get some pictures later today.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Sticking out more than this?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
n406c

Alright got some pics. Looks like they stick out 3/4in.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You have got yourself some SN95 wheels there, pardner. They would appear to be a set of '99~'04 Saleens. The off-set difference is about what you are measuring beyond the fender. No way to fix this without a new set of wheels.

Talk to Cruizin and make sure you ordered, or were shipped, the correct wheels for your year.

Jazzer
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Yep, your in the same boat as me, get used to it, because there is nothing you can do about it, after all, it will grow on you, and you will like it as i did. Cruzin Concepts shipped me the same style saleen rims but in black for a 99-04 offset. After calling them, I found out that they were out of stock on the 05+ offset. So they did not bother letting me know, and just shipped the different offset, who does that crap? Anyways, its not as bad as you think, and lowering will not help, as it will bring the body down more to the tire, making it that much more apparent.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

its not as bad as you think...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 AM
n406c

Yep, your in the same boat as me, get used to it, because there is nothing you can do about it, after all, it will grow on you, and you will like it as i did. Cruzin Concepts shipped me the same style saleen rims but in black for a 99-04 offset. After calling them, I found out that they were out of stock on the 05+ offset. So they did not bother letting me know, and just shipped the different offset, who does that crap? Anyways, its not as bad as you think, and lowering will not help, as it will bring the body down more to the tire, making it that much more apparent.
Yeah I think your right. That's pretty sketchy to me selling rims you don't have but like you said It'll grow on me. How much did you lower car? Do you have any problems with clearance?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If CC made a mistake here, and I don't know that they did... make a stink here

If you ordered the wrong wheels, it is on you. But, if you ordered ones for an S197 and were sent ones for an SN95, they need to make this right. I realize you had them mounted already and this may pose a problem for return. Read your bill of sale CLOSELY and see what it says about return policy and/or confirming proper delivery of purchased items. If it says you MUST confirm wheel fitment PRIOR to installing tires, you may be unable to return them

Quick Reply: Wheel sticks out wheel well [Help]