Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

20" AMR wheels from American Muscle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default 20" AMR wheels from American Muscle

I'm thinking about the 20x8.5/10 AMR rim and tire package from American Muscle. I've got Eibach Sportline springs (1.3" front and 2" rear drop) on the car now and a BMR adjustable pan-hard bar. Are there any drawbacks to have these large wheels on the car? I know they will fit and the overall diameter will be the same as the stock wheels and tires.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I'm thinking about the 20x8.5/10 AMR rim and tire package from American Muscle. I've got Eibach Sportline springs (1.3" front and 2" rear drop) on the car now and a BMR adjustable pan-hard bar. Are there any drawbacks to have these large wheels on the car? I know they will fit and the overall diameter will be the same as the stock wheels and tires.

Thanks!
Hey,

Great choice in wheel, they are going to look sick!

There are a few drawbacks, however I would not call them deal breakers by any means. The biggest down side is that you will have less side wall compared to your factory setup or most smaller diameter wheel setups. The less side wall you have the stiffer the ride will be, considering you already have Eibachs, the ride may be a bit rough for some people's taste. The only other down side is that when it comes to replacing tires, you will be paying more than you would for 18s or 19s.

Will all this being said, the look and stance provided for with the 20s are certainly well worth these drawbacks to many people. While you may want to consider these negatives, I would not let them determine your purchase overall. I hope this information helps and if you have any questions, feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

FYI: I run 20x9/20x10' Wheels on my 2011 GT and Eibach Sportlines. I absolutely love the set up! What size tire are you thinking?

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 05-22-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Hey Dan!
I was considering this package: http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...3-mt-stag.html

I'm going to have to wait until around December though, as they are going to be a Christmas present from my wife and her family. I'm going to have to learn some patience as December is a long way off and those are going to look great on my car!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Hey Dan!
I was considering this package: http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...3-mt-stag.html

I'm going to have to wait until around December though, as they are going to be a Christmas present from my wife and her family. I'm going to have to learn some patience as December is a long way off and those are going to look great on my car!
That is exactly what I was envisioning, you definitely wont go wrong. The AMRs are right now the hands down best seller for the 2011+ cars. December is a long ways away, however you will definitely be able to take advantage of a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal.

Post us up a picture when you get them on!

-Dan
Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Thanks!
Another thing to consider since it wasn't mentioned was the style of construction on wheel can adversely effect the wheel itself as well. Higher construction values tend to be lighter wheels, while lower construction values, your lesser expensive wheels usually, are going to be heavier, and easier to bend or crack. Load ratings come into play as well, and all in all within this you have to consider overall weight of a wheel.

A gravity cast wheel, the lowest construction value you can build a wheel, is going to have a lower load rating than some of the higher construction processes, which also can mean that load ratings are LOWER, meaning wheels can break or bend easier. Gravity cast wheels are the easiest way to make a wheel because you have a mold, and in that mold you pour in your aluminum alloy and let the wheel form in that way.

Low pressure cast wheels have a bit higher of a construction value. Though these are not quite forged, they are put under a bit of pressure which makes the wheel more dense, which means you can use less aluminum alloy, and best of all it decreases the chance of any air bubbles inside the aluminum mixture which can cause wheel failures. Gravity cast wheels because they are not put under pressure are more susceptible to breaking if there are air bubbles in the cast.

Rotary forged, flow form, spun cast, and spun forged are all the same process. While the face of the wheel is cast, the barrel is put under serious pressure to FORM the wheel, which changes it's molecular structure to produce a much stronger aluminum, aka it's more dense, so therefore even less material can be used. Forgestars which I have on my Mustang are rotary forged which makes them lighter, stronger, than a lot of other wheels.

Fully forged wheels can be made in different ways but ultimately at the end of the day they will be the strongest, and lightest of them all. Some forged wheels can put put under several tons of overall pressure to form the wheel, so in this extreme example these wheels can become extremely light.

Make sure to take everything into consideration, because when I talk to a customer who is considering a wheel I want to make sure they're fully informed of the options, the styles of construction so they can make a better informed decision based around the style of wheel they want and what construction style they think would best suit them depending on the budget available. So make sure you know what you're buying before you buy it, ask the difficult questions to ensure you buy a wheel of good quality that you wont regret later
Old 05-22-2014, 03:29 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I would love a higher end wheel. Unfortunately, it will never be in the cards. I really like the look of the wheel I posted about above, but in truth, I'd love a set of Forgestar F14's. But that isn't going to happen!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I would love a higher end wheel. Unfortunately, it will never be in the cards. I really like the look of the wheel I posted about above, but in truth, I'd love a set of Forgestar F14's. But that isn't going to happen!
Oh no no, by no means would I suggest that what you're interested in isn't good, I just want to help the community be more informed in what they're purchasing, there are a lot of great wheels that are inexpensive on the market. Forgestars are fantastic, I have a set myself, but that doesn't mean it's going to be the one wheel everyone wants, we all have different tastes
Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

I decided to go with 20" downforce wheels from LMR but the AMRs in 20" were my second choice. It was a hard decision though since they both look great. My car came with 19s but I decided to go up to 20s for not only the looks but 20" tires are actually cheaper than 19s of the same size. I believe this is because 19s aren't on as many cars as 20s and they don't sell as many of them.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I think the 20" AMRs are a good choice, but I went 20x10 square-

Name:  V30_zps93c6e3c2.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  121.5 KB
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Nice looking car Sharad! You've got 20x10's on the front?!? What springs are you running on that thing?

Quick Reply: 20" AMR wheels from American Muscle