MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2.3L Eco-Boost Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2-3l-eco-boost-tech-171/)
-   -   2015 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2-3l-eco-boost-tech/692478-2015-2-3-ecoboost-mustang.html)

Goldenpony 03-30-2013 09:40 AM

2015 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang?

Just read the AutoGuide.com report about the 2015 Mustang offering a 2.3L Ecoboost 4 cyl with a little over 300 HP. Really? Just what I want, a Pony car that sounds like a chain saw. Is it time to kill the brand?

99GTvert 03-30-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Goldenpony (Post 8183101)
Just read the AutoGuide.com report about the 2015 Mustang offering a 2.3L Ecoboost 4 cyl with a little over 300 HP. Really?

Yeah.

Just what I want, a Pony car that sounds like a chain saw. Is it time to kill the brand?

Sure is! Make sure you tell all your friends and family! :rolleyes:

SD 197 03-30-2013 09:46 AM

Ford is putting the Ecoboost into everything, nothing wrong with it. 4-banger in the Mustang is nothing new, though this one will be far more advanced.

I also own a 2.0L Turbo Audi, and I love it. The one in the Mustang will probably marketed above the base 3.7L V6, the 5.0L will still be the option to have. Just more choices.

My real concern will be the styling. If it looks like a 2-door Fusion, I will have an issue with it.

99GTvert 03-30-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by SD 197 (Post 8183103)
I also own a 2.0L Turbo Audi, and I love it. The one in the Mustang will probably marketed above the base 3.7L V6, the 5.0L will still be the option to have. Just more choices.

Does your Audi have pretty good grunt on the lower rpm range as if it were a bigger engine?

siggyfreud 03-30-2013 10:28 AM

Just read the AutoGuide.com report about the 2015 Mustang offering a 2.3L Ecoboost 4 cyl with a little over 300 HP. Really? Just what I want, a Pony car that sounds like a chain saw. Is it time to kill the brand?

You're not the type that would buy the non V8 mustang anyways. They're not targeting you at all with this push. It's the V6 crowd they're after. And 99% of those who do get the V6 aren't going to care that it'll be a 4cyl in a few years. In fact, this is nothing but good news at it opens the Stang to two aftermarkets, the V8 and Tuner crowds.

SD 197 03-30-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 99GTvert (Post 8183107)
Does your Audi have pretty good grunt on the lower rpm range as if it were a bigger engine?

Yes, which surprised me when I first test drove it.

The VW/Audi 2.0L turbo is so smooth and torquey, its such a sweet engine.

I have plenty of confidence that Ford can make an even better motor, especially one installed in a rear wheel drive platform.

Though I will take the 5.0 option, assuming it doesn't look like a Fusion when it comes out.

Gary Ugarek 03-30-2013 10:59 AM

The only reason people get upset is they will be getting dusted by 2.3L Mustangs with their 5.0s

Get over it, seriously. The 5.0L will still have its place and fan base. Ford is just, like someone said, expanding the market to the tuner crowd. My GB gets a lot of compliments from the Tune crowd, and if FORD goes this way, less imports on the road and more American badging, which is how it should be.

Embrace it boys... sooner or later Ford will price out the 5.0L to the point of extinction much like Chevy did with the Camaro in 2000-2002. Already the premiums go for $40,000+ with great options, and while I make a very comfortable living, $40,000 is my limit as to what I will spend on a new car.

CMcNam 03-30-2013 12:03 PM

Given the grossly unequal weight distribution in the V8s, a lightweight four banger up front will probably be a plus for a lot of racers.

Murgatroy 03-30-2013 12:18 PM

I find it funny that folks are all up in arms about a four cylinder in a Mustang. Really?

Do none of you know the history of the Mustang? The Mustang came with a four cylinder and sold exceptionally well for nearly 20 years. This also isn't the first time the Mustang came with a turbo four either.

Get up in arms, act angry and look like a total tool, it is all good. Ford knows what they are doing, and they have been doing it for a long time. The Ecoboost Mustang won't sell as well as the V6 with similar power and a higher price. The V8 will still be the power choice.

At the end of the day, the base model outsells the performance model every day.

Getting upset about it just makes you look silly, especially when it is a formula that is proven to work.

bakerjd 03-30-2013 01:04 PM

I think a four banger would be fantastic! Perfect fun DD :)

MrSandman 03-30-2013 02:19 PM

Have the worked out the problem with engine fires in ecoboost engines yet?

pdonket 03-30-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrSandman (Post 8183221)
Have the worked out the problem with engine fires in ecoboost engines yet?

Pretty sure they have, it mostly had to do with crappy fuel lines and such from what I read on it, not so much the engines themselves.

Speed Buggy 03-30-2013 05:14 PM

I'm betting a large part of that decision is to go after the Euro crowd again. Ford has had some popular cars over there, but it looks like things are slipping lately.

MrSandman 03-30-2013 05:23 PM

http://automotobounce.com/pics/6a/64...robe_962ab.jpg

mapitts 03-30-2013 05:45 PM

I will take the car in the lower pic any day of the week. Gary is right on with Ford starting to price the GT out of most people's range. I refused to pay what they were asking for the '12's. Waited a bit and bought a used one. Ford is fixing to mix it up for some of us in 2015.

MrPack91 04-02-2013 01:20 PM

If they're going to target the tuner market with a 4cyl turbo they should add an awd option since most people in that market prefer awd

draxxus131 04-19-2013 10:58 PM

What are you talking about, it sounds like your the majority of the market. This is a muscle car platform, yes I understand it's going on a diet and getting more power possibly. But why would you in your head slim down a car just to throw on a 2nd diff. That would completely screw up a good balance of handling. I hardly hear from people how they bought a 4 cylinder car but WISHED it was AWD, ya not happening. I'm pretty sure Ford would put an extra set of doors and windows on the car before they ever make it AWD.

Hamidar05 04-20-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MrPack91 (Post 8185171)
If they're going to target the tuner market with a 4cyl turbo they should add an awd option since most people in that market prefer awd

Very good point

bluebeastsrt 04-20-2013 04:18 PM

I'll never undewrstand why you guys get your panties in a bunch over what the entry level engine is going to be. A 4 banger with more horse power than the OPs V8 is a bad thing???????

Hamidar05 04-21-2013 10:10 AM

As the old sayings go;

"you can't get something for nothing"

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"

"a pig with makeup is still a pig"

http://www.mustangevolution.com/wp-c...ge-585x389.jpg
http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...-ford-mustang/

1974 Mustang Engine Options

2.3L – 2V – I-4 – 88HP
2.8L – 2V – V-6 – 105HP

BluebeastSRT, how did you know I wear women's underwear?

steev 04-21-2013 03:22 PM

Not totally sticking up for it, but engine development has come a long way since 1974, considering there's a 1000cc I3 ecoboost putting out more power than the 2.8 V6 that you mention.

I do, however, stand by my opinion that a 2.0 ecoboost would be much better suited to a Miata/BRZ sized Ford with RWD.

A790 04-21-2013 09:18 PM

Look where the market is going. Every manufacturer is releasing smaller turbocharged engines. The technology has finally caught up to the needs.

Now we can have a 30+mpg car that still produces 300ish HP. My 2012 Optima SX is a good example of this done right. 274hp and I still get 35-40mpg on the highway and 23-26 around town... and my right foot can be heavy sometimes.

The 5L V8 is fantastic, but if you hand me the same car with a 3L 6cyl turbo that makes 50+ more hp... well, I'd take it.

Turbos are easy to tune and modify, keep more of their horsepower when altitude is a factor (I live in Calgary, AB which is 3,557ft above sea level, so it matters to me), and are pretty damn reliable at this point.

Adapt or die, folks. There's a reason that Saab, Pontiac, Saturn, Olds, and other brands are dead.

bluebeastsrt 04-21-2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hamidar05 (Post 8198087)
As the old sayings go;

"you can't get something for nothing"

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"

"a pig with makeup is still a pig"

1974 Mustang Engine Options

2.3L – 2V – I-4 – 88HP
2.8L – 2V – V-6 – 105HP

BluebeastSRT, how did you know I wear women's underwear?

Well all the quotes that didn't make any sense above made you sound like a chick so it was a pretty safe assuption about the undergarment choice.:icon_laugh: On a side note. they didn't offer a V8 option in 74. I'm pretty sure we'll get several in 2015.

Hamidar05 04-22-2013 08:49 PM

For those that are mentally challenged and lack the ability to have reason and logic -

"you can't get something for nothing" : there is no substitute for cubic inches in engine power, it is a thermodynamic problem and less fuel = less energy

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip" : add as much boost as you want, material science has not become so advance as to reliably support the boost levels required to squeeze out the HP they are advertising. If that engine still runs reliably in 5 years of use, it will be luck

"a pig with makeup is still a pig" : 300 HP from a turbo 4 are not the same as 300 HP from a V8 or V6 for that matter, it is called torque.

Fan boy it as progress, as what the public wants, etc.. I call it a gimmick, and gimmicks don't stand the test of time. They are good for a few bucks, otherwise we'd have SVOs running around everywhere.

I think you insulted more women than me, but hey... who am I to judge.. I'm just another a-hole with an opinion.

99GTvert 04-22-2013 09:10 PM

I am curious how well the 2.3L turbo 4 will hold up in years to come at that ~300hp power level. Some other manufacturers have come close and seem to be doing OK.

I disagree about the no substitute for cubes & that the 300hp turbo 4 isn't the same as a V6 regarding torque (but turbo 4 to V8...no contest). Many manufacturers such as Ford, Audi and BMW are switching to smaller forced induction engines that seem to be making very similar power numbers than the bigger naturally aspirated engines they are replacing or competing with (and also better fuel mileage). Usually those engines make their peak torque down low in the rpm range compared to their naturally aspirated predecessors or similar trim level vehicles, so that they don't seem to feel like they are lacking in torque.

bluebeastsrt 04-23-2013 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hamidar05 (Post 8199255)
For those that are mentally challenged and lack the ability to have reason and logic -

"you can't get something for nothing" : there is no substitute for cubic inches in engine power, it is a thermodynamic problem and less fuel = less energy

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip" : add as much boost as you want, material science has not become so advance as to reliably support the boost levels required to squeeze out the HP they are advertising. If that engine still runs reliably in 5 years of use, it will be luck

"a pig with makeup is still a pig" : 300 HP from a turbo 4 are not the same as 300 HP from a V8 or V6 for that matter, it is called torque.

Fan boy it as progress, as what the public wants, etc.. I call it a gimmick, and gimmicks don't stand the test of time. They are good for a few bucks, otherwise we'd have SVOs running around everywhere.

I think you insulted more women than me, but hey... who am I to judge.. I'm just another a-hole with an opinion.

Look no farther than the mitsubishi Evo or the Subaru Sti. For reliable 2.0-2.4 ltr. 4 bangers making 300Hp. If the japanese can do it, why can't ford? 300 V8 Horsepower is exactly the same as 300HP produced by a 4 cylinder turbo motor.. Horsepower is just a measurement of work being done .And Most turbo motors make as much torque as horsepower. Check the Stats on the F150 Ecoboost for example. 365 Hp. and 420 ft. pds. of torque. That's more torque than a boss 302 makes. The boss also has a displacement of 302 cubes to the F150's 214 cubes. Or you can use the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 10 as another example. 295Hp and 311 Ft. pds of torque! That 2.0 liter engine is making basically the same HP & torque as your 5.0 but it gives up 3 liters of displacement! Big engines are nice but adding boost from a turbo doubles the efficiency of any motor. It was a good rant. I really liked the blood from a turnip and the pig with makeup analogies but there wasn't alot of facts in your post.

Gary Ugarek 04-23-2013 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by bakerjd (Post 8183200)
I think a four banger would be fantastic! Perfect fun DD :)

I agree.

If I like the 2015 enough I may grab 2, the 5.0 and the 2.3L for my DD. I want a 50th, but I don't want to run the miles up on it.

Andrew Christian 04-23-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek (Post 8199404)
I agree.

If I like the 2015 enough I may grab 2, the 5.0 and the 2.3L for my DD. I want a 50th, but I don't want to run the miles up on it.

I completely agree. Sounds like a hella fine plan to me. Although I will be opting for the V8. I have a six banger now and its just NOT ENOUGH! Also, with the turbo already on the engine, I believe it may be hard to further upgrade the engine in any significant way. But hey, who knows? Can't wait for the 2015!

Haha.

steev 04-23-2013 08:54 PM

A tune would free up plenty of power, especially with 'eco' being part of that turbocharged 4's name. (Factory tune will be for economy).

I know how you feel about the 4.0 V6 though!

bluebeastsrt 04-23-2013 10:07 PM

A turbo Mustang would bring the aftermarket out of the woodwork with big turbo swap kits.

fasthall 04-27-2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by steev (Post 8198227)
Not totally sticking up for it, but engine development has come a long way since 1974, considering there's a 1000cc I3 ecoboost putting out more power than the 2.8 V6 that you mention.

I do, however, stand by my opinion that a 2.0 ecoboost would be much better suited to a Miata/BRZ sized Ford with RWD.

exactly, it will be good to installed on BRZ, the other me with asian spirit will buy that.
I heard that ecoboost will be sell to those who need some economical feature, and the V6 will be reserved.

Rokgtar 05-19-2013 10:25 AM

I had my doubts about small 4 cylinder turbocharged engines as well, but a co worker took me for a ride in his 2012 MazdaSpeed 3 turbo - that thing will flat out move, and you can feel the torque big time. My brother bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0 turbo and at 274 hp, I was amazed at how quick that car is. I read an article in Motor Trend (or some other mag) about the 2.0 turbo engines (across the board, many manufacturers make their own 2.0T ) and according to what was said, the combination of 2.0 liters and turbo is the sweet spot for engine balance, power and efficiency. Any more cubes that 2.0 liters in a 4 cylinder starts to eat away at the balance between gas mileage and performance. So, that being said, I would not be surprised at all to see the 2.0T from the Focus end up in the Mustang, rather than a 2.3 or even a 2.5. 274 HP and a similar torque level in the Mustang will make a respectable amount of power and will lighten the car significantly. This is going to add up to a big increase in gas mileage yet still produce a nice performing car with good power. Not 5.0 power, but good enough for the average driver.

mph07alloy 05-19-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by fasthall (Post 8202382)
exactly, it will be good to installed on BRZ, the other me with asian spirit will buy that.
I heard that ecoboost will be sell to those who need some economical feature, and the V6 will be reserved.

I've always preferred BIG engines and will always like the sound of a V8 over lesser cylinder cars but the time is coming where tiny engines with turbos will be more economically feasible for most people. Tuners are already turning the 2.0L 4cyl Toyobaru BRZFT86s into a kick ass cars that I personally wouldn't mind driving, doubling the HP with turbos and making 11 second cars out of them. This is what they should've done from the factory, a 400 hp car that weighs less than 3000 lbs. The car in this video will kill most Mustangs.

moosestang 05-23-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mph07alloy (Post 8216217)
I've always preferred BIG engines and will always like the sound of a V8 over lesser cylinder cars but the time is coming where tiny engines with turbos will be more economically feasible for most people. Tuners are already turning the 2.0L 4cyl Toyobaru BRZFT86s into a kick ass cars that I personally wouldn't mind driving, doubling the HP with turbos and making 11 second cars out of them. This is what they should've done from the factory, a 400 hp car that weighs less than 3000 lbs. The car in this video will kill most Mustangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBdFiFOWGms

How long do you think that motor will hold up to that boost? Spun bearing in 3, 2, 1..........

Matt's 95 Stang 05-23-2013 02:35 PM

I liked my little 2.3 Fox when it was my DD. now if they come up with something light (like the Fox was) with a 4cyl PLUS a turbo damn that could be a great car. Unfortunately I do see a lot of people getting mad when they buy one, tune the heck out of it, up the psi and blow the engine blaming it on Ford.

Matthew

Derf00 05-23-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt (Post 8197662)
I'll never undewrstand why you guys get your panties in a bunch over what the entry level engine is going to be. A 4 banger with more horse power than the OPs V8 is a bad thing???????

It is for those that measure their p-p's by the v8 vs 4 or 6 cyl power... :D

I could care less, in fact I welcome it. the whole reason they're brining in the engine is because as a global platform (read europe and asia), V8's are not desirable so there's never been a mass market for them outside the U.S.

If bringing in a 4cyl means I can buy a new mustang 10 or 20 years from now, I'm all for it. HOpefully they will still offer a V-8, but if not, oh well. I'll be happy to dust a classic (S197 V8) with my water powered 4cyl (or whatever tech they have in 10-20 years). ;)

Derf00 05-23-2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rokgtar (Post 8216161)
I had my doubts about small 4 cylinder turbocharged engines as well, but a co worker took me for a ride in his 2012 MazdaSpeed 3 turbo - that thing will flat out move, and you can feel the torque big time. My brother bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0 turbo and at 274 hp, I was amazed at how quick that car is. I read an article in Motor Trend (or some other mag) about the 2.0 turbo engines (across the board, many manufacturers make their own 2.0T ) and according to what was said, the combination of 2.0 liters and turbo is the sweet spot for engine balance, power and efficiency. Any more cubes that 2.0 liters in a 4 cylinder starts to eat away at the balance between gas mileage and performance. So, that being said, I would not be surprised at all to see the 2.0T from the Focus end up in the Mustang, rather than a 2.3 or even a 2.5. 274 HP and a similar torque level in the Mustang will make a respectable amount of power and will lighten the car significantly. This is going to add up to a big increase in gas mileage yet still produce a nice performing car with good power. Not 5.0 power, but good enough for the average driver.

Off topic:
The sad thing is that for as much power as the new 3Speed puts out, it has a very hard time with torque steer and getting that power to the ground. Both the VW GTi and Focus ST are faster and do a better job of keeping the power in check.

Toadster 06-01-2013 01:55 PM

where's the SVO crew? :)

AJ06GT 06-01-2013 02:23 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I do respect what 4 cylinders can make now. Really, I do. You can't deny the numbers. However, I wish they would just make it a new car and not call it a Mustang. The Mustang name goes back to muscle car heritage. I don't even like the fact that they make 6 cylinder Mustangs, but I guess I can be a bit of a Mustang snob, haha.

So it's not that I even feel V8s are necessarily superior to 4 cylinders. It's not that I don't accept what they can do. It's not that I even think they are bad thing. I just don't think they belong in a Mustang. Build a new sports car for the modern generation. Let the Mustang name die off even if that's what has to happen. We'll keep it alive.

I mean hell, look at my old 335. That thing was just as quick as my GT is (granted it was a 6 cylinder not 4, but if I tuned it it could have made 350 easy if not plenty more), and if you added any curves at all, it would have left my GT in the dust, but you know what? I like my GT so much more. I had the best in technology, and it's really damn sweet, but I like that raw, noisy, and sloppy power of the Mustang. It's way more fun to me.

pascal 06-03-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hamidar05 (Post 8199255)
I'm just another a-hole with an opinion.

That's your best statement to date yet.
But I'll give the credit to Bluebeast... Cause I'm sure he forgot more than you know about cars, lol.